Obama's speaking ability

[color=#0000FF]Note: This was split from[/color] [url=Toastmasters thread.[/url]

Until his teleprompter konks out.

[quote=“ludahai”][quote=“71Classic”]
I find this funny, considering Obama is one of the most articulate and greatest speech deliverers the U.S. has ever produced. He’d crush a star Toastmaster member in any speech delivery contest. :laughing:
[/quote]

Until his teleprompter konks out.[/quote]
Please. You act as though use of a teleprompter is a bad thing. Personally, I prefer a smart president who makes sure his message is correct and clearly articulated instead of speaking off the cuff and potentially causing a international incident with his words. I’d use a teleprompter too. I don’t see Obama using a teleprompter when responding to questions in his many press conferences. :unamused:

I guess some people miss the days of George Bush speaking off the top of his head and embarrassing the country with his mangling of the english language and incredibly dumb statements. LOL

Think about it this way.
Have you done much public speaking? To get up and give a prepared talk with no teleprompter requires a fair bit of memorization and practice. I’m a scientist, I have to give talks about my research, and even a 15 minute talk about something that I know inside and out takes a LOT of preparation. Obama talks often. Do you really want him wasting his time memorizing, rehearsing, worrying about what he might forget to say for every little thing? Personally, I’d much rather have him, um, governing.

You can hardly hear his Kenyan accent.

[quote=“ludahai”][color=#0000FF]Note: This was split from[/color] [url=Toastmasters thread.[/url]

Until his teleprompter konks out.[/quote]

:unamused:

Oh, and he’s a secret Muslim with a deep-seated hatred for white people, who pals around with terrorists and refuses to release his birth certificate. He’s also an America-hating elitist because he asked for spicy mustard on his hamburger.

The Republicans told me this, so it must be true.

[quote=“Chris”]He’s also an America-hating elitist because he asked for spicy mustard on his hamburger.

The Republicans told me this, so it must be true.[/quote]

Was that really a serious criticism of him, or are you being hyperbolic?

I had high hopes for Obama’s supposed eloquent diction. However, his astute vocab is soon perforated by the constant and seemingly mindless use of “uh,…”. Can’t he think of something else to use to fill up the empty spaces?
Pretty vacant.
One would have thought he’d be up all night thinking of quick & witty turns of phrase with which to wield war on the legions of journalists with their sludgy dredge of dim questions…

[quote=“TheGingerMan”]I had high hopes for Obama’s supposed eloquent diction. However, his astute vocab is soon perforated by the constant and seemingly mindless use of “uh,…”. Can’t he think of something else to use to fill up the empty spaces?
Pretty vacant.
One would have thought he’d be up all night thinking of quick & witty turns of phrase with which to wield war on the legions of journalists with their sludgy dredge of dim questions…[/quote]
That’s why this thread evolved from the Toastmasters thread. In Toastmasters they make you aware of that common failing of inexperienced public speakers. I guess it is only natural when you are trying to think of something to say, to put in some sort of vocalization. I would bet that he is being trained right now, but it is a hard habit to break.

I would say a majority of the people in this world cannot speak in full eloquent sentences 100% of the time let alone do so without saying “um”, “ah”, or using some sort of a meaningless filler word.

One needn’t do it for even less than a third of the time to boundlessly improve on the prior record of the current President. He needs training, double sharp! This is the executive office of the most powerful defender of the free world, etc. There should be no call for dumbing it down…

Ain’t it funny how some took the piss non-stop over Bush II’s ineloquence, and now seek to sand over the tracks of what’s getting to be like watching an episode of Family Guy?
A cop and a black professor over for a beer? What manner of fuckery is this?

He should have arranged a cage match.
Bush had a human and a fish over to show they could coexist.

[quote=“GuyInTaiwan”][quote=“Chris”]He’s also an America-hating elitist because he asked for spicy mustard on his hamburger.

The Republicans told me this, so it must be true.[/quote]

Was that really a serious criticism of him, or are you being hyperbolic?[/quote]

It really happened, and highlights the pettiness of the right.

What we relish is obsolete. Who cares?
Anything that evades the issue of that the President can’t speak like he was made out to!
If he’s like this now, what’s it gonna be like 3 or 4 years into the term?
He better be on the fast track to proper diction, or those 3.7 years are gonna seem awfully short…

Obama is a powerful orator. Can he extemporize all day long, 7 days a week on complex topics? No.

Most of you are confusing his proven ability to move people with words with an inability to always find the right words.

[quote=“Mucha Man”]Obama is a powerful orator. Can he extemporize all day long, 7 days a week on complex topics? No.

Most of you are confusing his proven ability to move people with words with an inability to always find the right words.[/quote]

What a load of tripe!
All we are asking is that the President of the Free World can hold a position for more than 22 seconds without uttering “uhm” or “uhhh…”
This is not reality TV, , merely but a rebuttal!
Call Me Ishmael; but if one can’t deal with pogue sold-out journalists, one might as well give up the ghost!

Orator? Sheer fullsome twaddle!

So you are saying he can’t deliver a speech skillfully? You do know what an orator is, right? :unamused:

Denying that O can deliver a speech and move people with the force of his delivery is like denying he is an American by birth. It just doesn’t wash with anyone in touch with reality.

So you are saying he can’t deliver a speech skillfully? You do know what an orator is, right? :unamused:

Denying that O can deliver a speech and move people with the force of his delivery is like denying he is an American by birth. It just doesn’t wash with anyone in touch with reality.[/quote]

I have witnessed the steady decline in oration since Chicago. His delivery sucks these daze. If he Can’t come out and whale on the health care issue, god helps him when it comes to 3rd year, 1st term defence issues…
It’s fucking terrifying when even CNN can’t get a response with far too many …
Vacancies…
Somebody outta wipe off the spit on your lip, it’s looking like that’s all you have to go on…
Even that delivery on that speech in Cairo, supposedly the high water mark, leaves us classical liberals writhing! What are we supposed to make of a self-declared roots-man from not even accentuating the pauses?
It does not compute. Let’s hope he hires some less slackass speechwriters/ass-men!

I haven’t listened to his latest speeches, but I know he can deliver some damn good ones. Especially when you consider that English is not his native language.

[quote=“TheGingerMan”][quote=“Mucha Man”]Obama is a powerful orator. Can he extemporize all day long, 7 days a week on complex topics? No.

Most of you are confusing his proven ability to move people with words with an inability to always find the right words.[/quote]

What a load of tripe!
All we are asking is that the President of the Free World can hold a position for more than 22 seconds without uttering “uhm” or “uhhh…”[/quote]
Is that your beef? That he occasionally says “uh”, like 99.999% of the human beings on this planet?

Like Bush didn’t say “uh”? Like Clinton didn’t say “uh”? Like Reagan didn’t say “uh”? Ad infinitum…

I’m sure even Cicero said “uh”. In Latin, of course.

Quousque tandem abutere, ummm…Catilina, patientia nostra? Quam, uhhh… diu etiam…uhhh… furor iste ummm… tuus nos eludet? quem ad finem, ummm…sese effrenata iactabit, ummm… audacia?
:laughing:

Somehow I think the oral speaking skills were much stronger back then since your career depended upon it.