Today's Chinese sentence

Mandarin Mainland China.

I give you introduce this be my female friend.

May I introduce you to my girlfriend.

Same sentence Mandarin more local Taiwan style.

This yes I/my girl friend

This is my girlfriend.

[color=red]Please correct me if this is wrong. Formal Chinese from Elizabeth Scurfield. Taiwan version from a local.
[/color]

You can take out DE. When discussing a person who has obvious relation to you, there is not De.
“WoNuPengYo”
I am also unsure as to how important the Shi is. And I think most people would not say “ZhiWei”…

Nothing wrong with the sentence, but the zhe4 wei4 is too formal, and I agree, the de5 is optional. Oh, and you need a pause (comma) after yixia.

My girlfriend always tells me to say “Zhe shi4 wo3 nu3peng2you3.” :idunno:

Ask five different locals and you will get five different answers.

Edit: Added tone numbers for Tash. :smiley:

Lovely initiative :bravo: Will you keep it up every day? I will be a regular.

Could you please include tone numbers after each syllable, like DB did? It’s essential. Thanks

Phew! Managed to edit that before anyone saw it. It’s amazing what a difference a tiny, little “a” can make in a statement :wink:

I hope we can continue, I guess it’s just start it and see where it goes.

Your right about tone numbers.

DB, Tetsuo, Mr He, Ironlady are just some of the experts I know of off hand. I’d be happy if others did it. Lets say if nothings up when people log in anybody can put it up. I certainly have enough to do.

A sound bite with the Taiwanese version would be probably too much to ask for.

Say format similar to my first post where you grab the Chinese formal out of a book like Scurfields then put up the Taiwanese version.

Nothing wrong with the sentence, but the zhe4 wei4 is too formal, and I agree, the de5 is optional. Oh, and you need a pause (comma) after yixia.[/quote]

I’d even leave out the “Wo3 gei3 ni3men5” because it is obvious and perhaps replace it with “lai2”

Lai2, jie4shao4 yi2xia4, zhe4 shi4 wo3 de n

Ho.7 goa2 kai3-siau7 chit-e, chit4-ui7 (che1) si7 goa2-e5 lu2 (li2) peng5-iu2

Romanization: Catholic (Mary-Knoll)
Tones: numbers, no number means enclitic (=3) or 1-3-7 rule
sandhi (tone changes): not indicated, except for enclitic or 1-3-7

I am still learning, please experts on Taiwanese, correct my mistakes

I hope by the end of the day someone with authority will clean this thread up and call a winner for the day!

In other words… YOU PEOPLE ARE CONFUSING ME!!! I now have less of an idea of what to say when I’m introducing my gf (Taiwan, or Mainland) then I did before this started!!!

:unamused:

This should be a good thread. Do note that there isn’t really anything in either of the two sentences in the original post that make them more Taiwanese or mainlanderish. The difference is one of register and perhaps context. And the de is cumbersome sounding.

[quote=“tash”]I hope by the end of the day someone with authority will clean this thread up and call a winner for the day!

In other words… YOU PEOPLE ARE CONFUSING ME!!! I now have less of an idea of what to say when I’m introducing my gf (Taiwan, or Mainland) then I did before this started!!!

:unamused:[/quote]
Definitely drop the “de.” There wouldn’t really be a difference in introducing your woman on the mainland or Taiwan. If the context is pretty formal, you could use “wei,” but I generally wouldn’t.

[quote=“tash”]I hope by the end of the day someone with authority will clean this thread up and call a winner for the day!
[/quote]

Any native speakers around?

Ricet has me very confused. Maybe we could leave out that number system and stick with the 1 to 4.

Note that every time I pick up a book and try to learn a sentance I get “that is not how we would say it” so, I thought it would be good to continually give the Mainland and at least somebodies version of a Taiwanese corresponding sentance. It should not be complicated or it will bugger the whole thing imo.
[color=red]
The numbers are on the original post and it is more correct now according to group opinion.[/color]

Ricet used the other number system to write the sentence in Taiwanese, not Mandarin.

I think when Ironman says Taiwanese he means Taiwan-Mandarin

Sorry for any confusion caused. Moderator, feel free to delete the post with the sentence in Taiwanese.

Poor Ironlady is going to be working for her money here.I don’t think it is going to be a problem rice t, my error for not being clear.

I updated the original post yet again to make it more correct and easy to understand.Jdsmith fixed the spelling problem with sentence I had at the topic heading.

I think it is all going okay now. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Ironman”]
Poor Ironlady is going to be working for her money here.I don’t think it is going to be a problem rice t, my error for not being clear.

I think it is all going okay now. :slight_smile:[/quote]

Don’t be discouraged. It’s still a great idea :slight_smile:

I just have one question: If I use this sentence (both, either), will people think I’m a lesbian? how to avoid that? if I wanted to avoid that, that is. :wink:

[quote=“tash”]

I just have one question: If I use this sentence (both, either), will people think I’m a lesbian? how to avoid that? if I wanted to avoid that, that is. :wink:[/quote] Just say nu de pengyou instead of nupengyou. Sorry I have no clue about tones.

[quote=“tash”][quote=“Ironman”]

I think it is all going okay now. :slight_smile:[/quote]

Don’t be discouraged. It’s still a great idea :slight_smile:

I just have one question: If I use this sentence (both, either), will people think I’m a lesbian? how to avoid that? if I wanted to avoid that, that is. :wink:[/quote]

Wait on the people who have answers. I only started this because I still want to learn but I assume you could leave the gender out completely or use the male nan2

Just make sure to not say “Zhe shi4 wo3 nu3 tong2xing4lian4 ai4ren2” and you should be okay. :smiley: