Toilet Paper: Toilet or Can?

Well, scientifically speaking, women’s feces always smell the worst.

Great waking up in the AM and read this, after just having done the Mambo #2 :laughing: :laughing:

Taiwanese toilet habits are disgusting. Period.

Put a sign up saying “Toilet paper goes IN the toilet, that’s why it’s called toilet paper.” and another saying “Woman, put the seat back up after you’ve finished.”

[quote=“stragbasher”]“Woman, put the seat back up after you’ve finished.”[/quote]Does anyone else remember those plastic toilet seats that were sprung, and returned upright after use? Funny how you don’t see those anymore, such a good idea.

Disposing of used toilet paper in this fashion is normal Taiwanese behavior. I found this out recently by asking a couple of local Chinese women - has something to do with water pressure being really low in the the past in Taiwan and people did not want to clog up their toilets. Ask a few of your local female friends. Why else would some toilets have such large garbage cans inside the toilet stalls ? In some stalls, there are even signs (in Chinese) of disposing toilet paper (not sanitary napkins) in this way.

But they don’t call it toilet paper here; usually they call it tissue paper (which I know isn’t right, and causes confusion for the Taiwanese English teachers when they read the directions for some Western craft projects calling for tissue paper, but that’s a different issue.)
As for leaving the seat up - I think Western men must be happy about this at least: it seems the seat is always up, even in the women’s toilets; some of my Taiwanese friends told me that they thought you were supposed to put the seat up after using it, and were surprised to learn that in Canada and America men get in trouble for leaving the seat up.

In public restrooms, women usually avoid sitting directly on the seat; instead, they leave the seat up and squat over the bowl. So in Taiwan, both men and women have to learn to aim.

I had one in my old flat…

Many Taiwanese girls are quite bad shots, btw, and well… piss all over the toilet :fume:

I agree with Stan - drop your logs, and send them on their way with 2 or 3 chasers

I have my daughter here just now and have run into the problem of explaining the toilet paper thing. Great to be able to look it up on Forumosa.

I’d have been with harrier on the urban myth thing, except that I have experienced the misery of an overflowing toilet. My friend and I stayed with a local family for 3 days in Taipei. We probably both used the toilet and toilet paper in the known western way. The toilet blocked and did it every block. The upper floors systems all ended up coming out into our apartment. Turds everywhere.

So, I’ve always been concerned. I take a dump at Mr He’s house to save problems with my toilet system.

Daugher here. Where is the toilet? I thought “Bloody hell, I have to explain this all” So, I have her reading the thread on toilet paper and she will end up with this post in a few minutes (she is on the other computer)

Fixed the problem, and after reading this thread I think the toilet paper can go down the toilet where it belongs.

The best solution … buy an electric toilet that grinds your paper and turds to a mush, this way you could flush through a 1" pipe. :smiley:

You mean a insinkerator. I don’t think they have those in Taiwan. Could you imagine what would happen if somebody had particularly dangly bits. :astonished:

My daughter will be at your restaurant in a few hours for lunch, she will no doubt be in a bit of culture shock. I hope you will be a good boy and behave like a human Belgian Pie.

Original Title: Big news !! Its official !! FLUSH THE DANG PAPER

YEs yes, flush the dang paper you hello kitties you :slight_smile:

Tainan government urges flushing of toilet paper to save costs

CNA
Tuesday, July 8, 2008

TAINAN, Taiwan – The Tainan municipal government urged city residents yesterday to cultivate the ha

bit of flushing used toilet paper instead of placing it in waste bins so as to save on disposal costs.

The city’s Environmental Protection Bureau made the call at a news conference held to unveil the results of a recent study that shows Taiwan residents dispose of about 340 tons of used toilet paper every day.

As the used toilet paper cannot be recycled, it must be disposed of using regular treatment processes, which costs about NT$4,600 per ton, according to the bureau.

This figure translates into about NT$1.57 million in waste treatment costs for used toilet paper per day in Taiwan, or about NT$600 million per year, according to the study.

The bureau said that in most foreign countries, used toilet paper is usually disposed of by flushing. In Taiwan, however, people have formed the habit of throwing toilet paper into a waste bin beside the toilet because the country’s poor plumbing in the past meant that toilets tended to get clogged up easily.

However, modern toilets and plumbing in Taiwan are able to handle discarded toilet paper, the department said, urging people to cultivate the habit of disposing of toilet paper in this way, not only to reduce costs but also to prevent the spread of harmful bacteria.

Not to mention the stench.

And having to look at someone else’s shite.

I dunno about Tainan, but in my old house, I flushed some pet food and it became clogged… won’t try paper.

A curse on those who throw used paper in the bin brown side up. :raspberry:

A curse on those who throw used paper in the bin brown side up. :raspberry:[/quote]I use both sides to save paper.

Where can one buy dang paper?