Trouble Deciding Between Jobs - Any Opinion Helps

If you were trying to choose between jobs, how would you do so?

I kind of want the a job doing morning teaching in Taipei, because I think it would be challenging and fun, and it would have the best hours (9-3:30 PM). It would be the most stress because of the steep learning curve. But it would allow me to stay to stay in Taipei.

A job teaching online offers the most freedom, and a little less stress, but nothing besides that. It has no benefits and. although money is not important to me, it offers just barely enough salary to survive.

I got offered a non-teaching job in Taichung, that has no stress and everyone in the company seems really nice, but as I have said before, I like Taipei a little better than Taichung.
It is an 8 hour a day job that has afternoon to night hours. It is in Xitun, and that is neat district. But I like Taipei better than Taichung and I’d rather be in Taipei.

Honestly, I think I want the morning teaching job because it offers most challenge, gives me experience, allows me to stay in Taipei, and gives me a future. And I have been offered side jobs in Taipei, both related and unrelated to teaching.
But its hard to turn down the job in Taichung because it is a once in a very long while opportunity.
It is so hard. And I know I need to choose one. Either way, I want to choose one, because I want to start participating in life again :slightly_smiling_face:

May I please ask your opinion?

Can you tell us a little more about the nature of this job?

While it’s good to hear you’re getting back on your feet and getting job offers. I do want to mention that it is illegal to get paid for a job unless you have an ARC distributed by the company to do the job. In other words, if you have an ARC to teach English, that’s the extent of your work capabilities.

Back to your question, it’s clear you don’t want to go to Taichung, you mentioned it at least 3x in 4 lines that you like Taipei better.

If you take the online teaching job, meaning, you’re going to be a digital nomad, this also entails visa runs. If you’re making means end with an online job, how are you going to pay for a plane ticket every 90 days to do your visa run? Get where I’m going?

Seems like the teaching job in Taipei is your best bet. You have a signed contract and are given the benefit of an ARC and NHI. If you want to take side jobs, that’s your decision to make, but I did mention the legality of that, so tread carefully.

2 Likes

The online job offers an ARC, it is the only benefit. It pays NT$ 450-500 for each 45 minute lesson. It offers a lot of flexibility, because I just have to promise to teach 25 hours a week. Its lesson are all ready to go for every class. It is from home.

The younger learner job is NT$60000 a month, the people offer training, which is helpful, because I have limited experience. It is only a short train ride away. It has a Chinese assistant, and half of the class is them teaching and half is me. Its in Taipei.

The job in Xitun, Taichung, it is doing a lot of contructing material and making powerpoints, as well as doing a few demos a week. It pays NT$50000. The people there are really nice and they want to train me.

I’m going to be blunt here…

Get the Taichung job, it seems like something you can do… If I’m honest, your English writing in general is a challenge… It’s a bit chaotic, repetitive and sometimes I need to read it twice… And people usually ask for more information because your not being complete… If you do the same while teaching your students are in trouble or you might lose the job in the end anyway… I don’t think your doing anyone including yourself any favor!

If I remember correctly, you had some trouble making friends and teaching online can be very difficult if you can’t connect with your students, they can easily leave and complain to the school as it’s all impersonal anyway…

Just my 2 thoughts…

Good luck!

Take the morning job in Taipei.

Online teaching is like a step below even kindy teaching. Don’t even consider that one.

2 Likes

Wow!

I graduated with a 3.72 GPA, studied up to differentials and calc 3 on my own, I have taught Jiu-Jitsu for 3 years. I am a scared of no person or challenge, I took 3rd place in No-Gi Worlds.

I have friends in both Taipei, Taoyuan, and Taichung.

Were you trolling?

A little harsh, but I can’t say I disagree. More than his writing skills, I think the bigger hindrance is OP’s own lack of confidence in his teaching abilities. However, if he commits himself and takes the position (and ESL training) seriously, then both his practical teaching skills and his confidence in the classroom will improve over time. I still say he goes with the morning teaching job in Taipei, and hopefully he gains experience while he’s there.

1 Like

I definitely disagree Raymond. I have been told my creative writing is “novel level” and both my university English composition teachers said that I am “very smart”.

I have taught Jiu-Jitsu for 3 years.

What does Jiu-Jitsu have to do with teaching English?

I remember you had a lot of anxiety over your first day of teaching last summer, and we tried to give you advice. I can’t speak for the other guy, but I’m not trying to insult you. That’s just my recollection.

1 Like

Is serves as an example that I can teach, and that I can teach other subjects too. How does @raymon75 judgement of me, without ever knowing me, have any pertinence to the original question?

I don’t mean any disrespect… It’s my advice taking your past posts into consideration.
I’m not a native English speaker, and I won’t question your professors :wink:

And no… I wasn’t trolling…

It is okay. I know you did not mean anything bad :slight_smile:

If you feel uncomfortable with what I said, I apologize…
I’m Dutch, we never gift wrap and put ribbons around our words :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I’m second. Taichung job. @padraig, I think it’s most important for you to stand on your feet first. If I’m not confusing you with someone else, you quitted teaching jobs twice, right? In addition, you are still very young. You can take challenges later. I think it’s better for you to establish your life in Taiwan with a stable job for the first step. Moving to Taipei from Taichung should be much easier than from US.

2 Likes

It is okay. I know you did not mean anything bad, and I appreciate your opinion in regards to what job I should consider.

It is not true though about the anxiety. The anxiety I express here is not a reflection of my outward personality. As forums are a way to show one aspect of ourselves, without showing who we are overall, I can see how you might think that. However, I am a confident young man :slight_smile:

Take the non teaching job, just make sure you can get ARC from the company. A lot of companies say they can get you ARC but actually can’t or simply don’t want to. You can always teach outside of your office hours if its something you really want to do.

If you plan to head back home some day it’s good to have a mixture of work experience on your resume.

1 Like

Thank you. That was really good and objective advice :slight_smile:

There’s a huge difference between teaching adults bjj to teaching children who are ruthless. Kids don’t hold back and will eat you alive if they smell you’re not confident.

I don’t really mind your English writing abilities on a forum. I taught for 2 years and did well. I just had to pay more attention when I write. I don’t double check here and often make pretty simple and embarrassing mistakes. So that’s not a big deal as long as you can spot them. I’m more concerned about you being able to command a classroom. That’s a skill that I’m not sure everyone has and it’s more a personality thing.

1 Like

Thanks for being objective Andrew. I already have. I did three 30 minute demos this week and the schools were impressed, so they offered me a job. :slight_smile: