Truva - Turkish Food - Anhe Road, Taipei

Does anyone know what this restaurant is like?
taiwanfun.com/north/taipei/d … ruvaTW.htm

I wouldn’t mind a review, however, if no-one posts one, I’ll go tonight and post my own review.

regards

Well I went to the restaurant tonight, and I was very impressed. The restaurant itself is very clean and very well presented and the service from the waitress was well above average.

I must say that I have not been to Turkey and therefore I cannot make a direct comparison to the cuisine there, however it certainly seemed authentic. The bread was fantastic and must have been cooked inhouse. The yoghurt dip stuff was also very good.

There were 5 of us present and we ordered 3 mains and 2 entree’s. The servings were quite large and it was only 60 NT for further sideorders of bread. Without any alcohol, the bill came to ~$500 NT each which I thought was very reasonable.

The set menu’s are in the range of $800-$1000 which I think I would have trouble finishing.

I would definitely recommend a visit to this place. Tim the owner is a very friendly guy.

truva.com/

I went there with my wife last Saturday. We went there for lunch so we didn’t want to order the full set menus, either.

I was impressed by the layout- very classy. The food was good and I would like to explore the menu a bit more before making a final judgement on the food. We ordered a salad and two main dishes. The salad was okay, and while one of the main dishes was a bit bland, the second was very good. The two main dishes were done in the oven, as was the bread. I know the meal was very healthy.

Like I said, I want to try a few more dishes before I decide whether the restaurant does it for me or not.

I would say NT$500-700 per person for lunch, but plan on NT$1000 per person for dinner (more with drinks).

I remember thinking the place would be good for singles to take a date.

:thumbsup: :exclamation:

I had never been to a Turkish restaurant before, so it was a good experience for me to try. The food is fabulous and very authentic! I normally do not like to eat bread but I love their home-made Pita bread. The restaurant itself is cozy, homey restaurant with a pleasant atmosphere, friendly staff, lots of nice touches and great food. Last time when I went there I tried lamb dishes and I would say lamb chops just great. I would strongly suggest anyone. i am sure only one word you will say ‘’ wonderful’’ .

I would like to say thanks to u all for ur kind comments. I’m sure we still have so much to tune on but I can sincerely ensure u all that what u would have at TRUVA will be the only real Turkish food that u can have on this island. Since I dislike oriented food culture I didn’t orient anything and the flavors or the taste of the food exactly the same that u can have in a good class Turkish restaurant in any city of Turkey.

Please comment or suggest me on anything so that I can improve more.

Tim

Went there last night with Sheena, we were impressed by the setting and staff but it stopped there, had lamb and chicken dishes, both sauces tasted same, lamb was chewy, chicken tasteless. ( I imagine that the chef from Turkey had his flight paid by his former employer)

We were seated and provided with 2 glasses of water while we waited on our drinks and food, we were then charged 120Nt for the water, great con.

Certainly not a Turkish delight! I for one will not be back!

[quote=“fryingscotsman”]Went there last night with Sheena, we were impressed by the setting and staff but it stopped there, had lamb and chicken dishes, both sauces tasted same, lamb was chewy, chicken tasteless. ( I imagine that the chef from Turkey had his flight paid by his former employer)

We were seated and provided with 2 glasses of water while we waited on our drinks and food, we were then charged 120Nt for the water, great con.

Certainly not a Turkish delight! I for one will not be back![/quote]

Thanks for the feedback. As I understood, customer chooses the same type of cooking on different meat, which is a casserole dish in the menu. If I’m mistaking please correct me. Yes both will taste same since both r cooked in tomato sauce, just the meat that we use inside changes. I suppose some who never had Turkish food before might trick to this situation so I believe the customer should get well informed by the waiters and waitress on their choice. (Actually it’s well written in the menu explanation but some feels lazy to read…) Anyways after I read this comment, I decide to do some little changes on the casserole section, since there might be many people get tricked to the same situation. The waiters and waitresses being warned to well inform the customer if they choose the same type of food in the menu while they r taking the order. But sure… incase the customer still insist after got warned by staff on same style of cooking food, we still did some changes on those 2 items. Thanks once again for your feedback. If u ever consider of coming back again, I’m sure u will be more satisfied than before.

Cheers,
Tim

Anyone have any experience with Truva? It looks good, despite this ‘Dick and Jane’ video clip (which I assume is actually intended for English learning rather than advertising).

If it’s the one I think it is, the service is very, very slow. Food’s good though, when it eventually arrives.

Thanks, that’s useful to know. I might go there when I have a long evening to kill.

I believe one of Dragonbabe’s friends, who spent a year in Turkey, mentioned this place the other day. I’ll try to get her input on this one.

A friend of mine in Kaosiung recommended it. She knows the owner.

Went there the other night, not really impressed.
They seem to have confused terms, calling all sorts of things pita, yet we got a poor copy of Turkish bread instead.
The starter we ordered looked nothing like the picture and the main course for “two” was not enough for two people.
Despite the restaurant being empty except for me and my GF, they’d somehow still managed to run out of fries, so we got rice instead.
The grilled meat was ok (we ordered the mixed grill), but we got one tiny lamb chop, not exactly something you can share between two people.
Nothing was very authentic as far as I’m concerned, I’ve been to some very good Turkish restaurants, both in Turkey and in the UK and Truva doesn’t come anywhere close.
What makes it worse is that I was recommended to go there by a friend, but he suggested the Turkish pizza which we didn’t try, so it’s possible that it is better.
We also got served water, which we were charged NT$60 per glass for and they didn’t even ask if we wanted water before it was served up…
And Fortigurn is correct, the service was slow as anything, the starter took over 10 minutes and it was a cold starter :s
Thanks but no thanks, I’m not going to be going back there any time soon.

Hey Tim. I love Turkish food and would try your place, but charging people for water they didn’t even order? It’s not the price, man, it’s the principle. Bet it isn’t bottled either.

Oh, it was fancy Evian, but it was luke warm.
We would’ve ordered something else to drink if it hadn’t been for the water by the way…

I remember a few years back i went there twice, once with buddies and once with my wife (then fiance’s family) I remember the water thing as well but i also remember thet the food was really great! I dont have a clue about turkish food at all but i really enjoyed the food. The owner saw us looking through the menu cluelessly and asked us if it was our first time and i said it was so he sat with us and explained the menu dish by dish. I think that thats great service personally. The food came out constantly and i/we really enjoyed it. It was pricey but its obviously a high end restaurant and good food takes time to make rather than having precooked everything just sitting in the fridge. Overall i think its really good but i havent been back because i live in Danshui and I have a few good buddies with great places to eat in Taipei as well so when i go to Taipei, on those rare occasions, i go to visit my buddies. But I will def be back there sometime in the future.

My wife and I have been about half a dozen times in the last couple of years, and have thoroughly enjoyed it each time. We save it for a time when we want to spoil ourselves, or have visitors we want to treat. It isn’t cheap, but we are always very satisfied with what we pay for, and though I’m no judge of Turkish food I know what I like. I certainly wouldn’t call it overpriced (and I’ve been to much cheaper places which I would call overpriced). I’m planning on taking some co-workers there at the end of this month, for a taste of something they haven’t tried before.

Actually I didn’t make the comment about the service. I’ve found the service to be fine every time I’ve been there, and the starters typically came out promptly (I do like their soups).

I’ve been there four times now, and that’s enough for me. I have no idea what the guys in the kitchen are doing, but it has nothing to do with cooking. The last time i went there was for lunch . . . after 50 minutes they had managed to serve the soup. It took an hour to get a piece of pita bread with some veggies and meat sprinkled over it cooked. That sealed the deal for me, never going again. The food isn’t good enough to warrant that kind of wait.

I’m kind of surprised that it’s managed to survive. But given the lack of quality restaurants/service in Taipei, I guess they can get along with the just barely good enough standard that seems so pervasive here.