Any Greek restaurants in Taipei?

Does anyone know about any Greek food in Taipei? Preferably good Greek food?

Sorry if this thread already exists. I did find threads about…

Mykonos: Mykonos
New Mykonos: New Mykonos
Mykonos Taverna: Mykonos Taverna - a visit to the Greek Islands
Truva (Turkish, actually): Truva - Turkish Food - Anhe Road, Taipei

… but it seems like all the Greek restaurants discussed in those links have closed down or disappeared.

The parents of a student of mine have a Greek restaurant. Still open for business. I’ve been once, but thought the food was too salty.

[googlemaps]http://maps.google.com/maps?q=25.018889,121.530978&ll=25.018886,121.530979&spn=0.0009[/googlemaps]

[quote=“kaikai34”]The parents of a student of mine have a Greek restaurant. Still open for business. I’ve been once, but thought the food was too salty.

[googlemaps]http://maps.google.com/maps?q=25.018889,121.530978&ll=25.018886,121.530979&spn=0.0009[/googlemaps][/quote]

The “googlemaps” tag needs just the two coordinates: [googlemaps]25.018889,121.530978[/googlemaps]

[googlemaps]25.018889,121.530978[/googlemaps]

Well, a greek in taipei… gotta try that, thanks for the mentioning!

Please report back…

Is Mykonos still open?

Cue the lawyers … :laughing:

Cue the lawyers … :laughing:[/quote]

doh! The food was uhhh allegedly too salty.

I stopped by there to pick up lunch today. It’s right around the corner from me, and this thread got me curious.
I got the gyros, and took them takeaway. I liked the look of the place, and they have a pretty big menu, with a wide range of dishes (ie. it’s not just gyros, souvlaki, and Greek salads). I found the gyros pretty meh. Not too salty :slight_smile: , but they could definitely have used some sauce (maybe you get some tzaziki or something if you dine in rather than takeaway? I hope so). Not bad, but not too exciting. Next time I want a wrap-like thing, I’ll probably be heading around the corner to Sababa or over to Tacos2go.
I may go back some day for a full meal though, since they have moussaka…

Bump

Aside from the allegedly overly salty restaurant mentioned above, are there any decent places in town?

Greek food is supposed to be salty.
If you find me a nice cheep apartment with a good kitchen I’ll cook you a Greek meal :stuck_out_tongue: persuading me to not put salt in takes more effort though.

Mykonos in ShiDa is RIDICULOUSLY expensive. At least thats what I gathered from the quick gaze at the menu.
Is it worth the RIDICULOUS price?

I haven’t eatten there (too full of other food when I found it) but after my initial ouch costs more than the maket food response I did some quick maths in my head of what the ingredients for each dish would cost if I bought them here and I think it is reasonably priced.

Well, maybe that’s what we need in Taipei now: a reasonably affordable good value fresh and tasty Greek restaurant. We’ve got adequate Indian, lots of pizza and pasta, new Mexican stuff, and some low and slow BBQ.

Could Greek be next?

:lick:

Mykonos is about as Greek as my pinky toe, that said, I haven’t eaten there, as after having looked at the menu, there’s was nothing I saw on it that constitutes Greek food to me. It’s all pseudo European food, but nothing looks right or appealing…
I mean, what Greek restaurant serves pasta? 100.look.tw/food/rest_home.a … id=0001915

You guys are very critical without having eaten there. I haven’t eaten there and I might change my mind when I do but it looks pretty Greek to me from the images and menu and I am Greek. We eat a lot of spaghetti in Greece. We have our own versions which are softer than spaghetti but taste almost the same but depending on which part of Greece you go you’ll find that in most places Spaghetti is very common in Greek restaurants and it has been for the last two to three decades that I’ve been alive. I dont’ normally go to highly touristic places or eat in touristic eatteries that sell overpriced junk that doesn’t taste good maybe your image of Greek food is the touristic version.
You know we have different types of restaurants in Greece, you get ones that are for greasy but well tasty meat sandwiches or dishes like the Turkish kebab shops, we get seafood restaurants, we get oven cooked home-style food restaurants, tavernas usualy have a selection of meats/seafood/random veg etc delicacies and people do normally get chips or just bread with most eat out dishes but if you get a one person meal in any of these places (except the sandwich places) chances are the only ones in the menu for 1 person (as opposed to buy lots of dishes and share) are with spaghetti.

When I think Greek, I think souvlaki or brochettes with fresh tsaziki, salad with red ripe tomatoes and fresh feta cheese, dolmades wrapped in grape leaves, and baklava oozing with honey. Have yet to see that anywhere in Taipei. I tried Mykonos in whatever incarnation it had about 10 years ago and decided that it was not Greek to me.

Was there ever an address posted for the “Greek place owned by a student of mine’s parents”? I’d like to go have a look.

I was psyched when i stumbled into the Mykonos near Shi-Da. I was craving Mediterranean after being spoiled by the Greek/Armenian community around Pasadena.

At first everything seemed right, good service and good business. Then the food showed up. The kabobs weren’t spiced correctly, let alone grilled over real heat. They even managed to fudge the greek salad and pita bread. At least the meal ended with a wonderful lemonade.

Well, I think I have an ok idea as to what Greek food is as I have several Greek friends and I’ve been to Greece, but hey…
Go look at their website and you judge by yourself.
Of course I know you eat pasta in Greece, but not the kind they server.
Also, have you ever heard of vanilla flavoured lamb?

Can’t find an English menu on that site. Or, are you translating from 香草燒烤羊肋排? Well, 香草 also refers to scented herbs in general.

According to their description, the the place is decorated in a Mediterranean setting. The name is taken from a Greek Island. The cuisine is Euro-style and Italian. No claim at all about serving Greek food.

No, I read it on the menu outside the place, but it’s possible that they have Google translated it as well so…