Mykonos

I’m planning to try out Mykonos on Saturday. Has anyone had any experiences with this restaurant? Furthermore, why is ‘Mykonos’ about the most common name for Greek restaurants wherever you go around the world?

There are two threads on this place, I believe:

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=4368

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=34354

I went there about 15 years ago. The only thing I recall is that the feta in the salad was way too salty.

Thanks DB. The latest post in either thread was in 2005, so I’m not sure how relevant they still are. Restaurant threads are tricky at the best of times.

The cheescake was always good

Ah.

I’d really love to know how it is, as I tried to go there (well, to the location off Si Wei) about a year ago, in the rain, and when I got there, the place had not only moved away but some strange Chinese shop was in its place. In the rain. I think there’s a Turkish place called Truga or some such near there though, I heard only good things (and I keep forgetting to try it).

Hasn’t there been a few places called Mykonos in Taipei? I remember one in the Shi Da Road area and I saw one off Xinyi Road opposite Daan park yesterday.

Now that I think about it, I also vaguely recall a nice atmosphere, mediocre food, and high prices. We were unimpressed, and any place with high prices that doesn’t impress doesn’t get a return visit. But that was 15 years ago. Things may have changed.

There are a few places named Mykonos in Taipei. None, as far as I know, have anything whatsoever to do with Micky the Greek who started the whole thing off, other than whitewashed walls, blue highlights and a few photos of the Greek islands on the walls. I actually went to one near Shida a couple of years ago, looked at the menu, looked at the slop the daft students had been served, and walked straight back out again.
Be warned.

Slightly OT: Truva it is (or Troy for those English speakers), and not only good is said about it: Truva - Turkish Food - Anhe Road, Taipei

But generally its good food, so probably wont regret. I am watching this thread for a good greek though - even turkish and greek food have lots in common :wink:

Thanks everyone. I was confused by the two threads, because it wasn’t clear which Mykonos was which, or if there’s still one in Si Wei. I’ve been to Truva about half a dozen times, and although I’m aware of the criticisms I’ve always enjoyed the service and food thoroughly.

A little OT, but come to think of it, isn’t that white washed Mediterranean place in the garden restaurant street in Taichung also called Mykonos? Whatever it was called, we had a couple of real good meals there, real good.

What happened to Micky the Greek of the original taipei mykonos? Did he leave taiwan?

There is no Mykonos on Siwei street. Have a look at Google Map. Couldn’t see it, although someone has taken the time to tag it on Google Maps.

It’s possibly closed now, which isn’t all that surprising in Taipei.

I also noticed that Sababa is now closed in Taipei station downstairs and the upstairs one has been replaced by some Chinesey looking copy with more expensive items. These places open and close quickly in Taipei. Subber is another one that reminds me of how precarious new businesses can be in Taipei.

[quote=“Shimokitazawa”]http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ned=ca&tab=nl

There is no Mykonos on Siwei street. Have a look at the above Google Map. Couldn’t see it, although someone has taken the time to tag it on Google Maps.

It’s possibly closed now, which isn’t all that surprising in Taipei.[/quote]
The Mykonos on Siwei Jie closed Dec 2008. I don’t know if they reopened somewhere else or is gone for good.