Tutoring (newbie) question??

I moved back up Taipei, because I have an exciting job opportunity at the end of the month, and because I missed the city. But, this job opportunity doesn’t start until the end of the month, when the person who was nice enough to offer it to me returns. Until then, I need to earn money. I am a newbie at gathering information on this particular topic. But I have two questions that may I please ask will you help me with.

1.) Is tutoring for money illegal in Taiwan.
2.) If not, how do you get clients?

I’ll wait for others to verify your first question, but for your second question:

Referrals.

1 Like

For your first question, if you have a work permit allowing the tutoring, it is legal.

1 Like

Similar to the answer above - if you have a visa status (eg. JFRV) or legal status (eg. Dual Nationality) that gives you the same rights as a normal Taiwanese person, then it is legal.

2 Likes

And working holiday visa.

1 Like

Only if you declare it and file taxes on the income.
If you don’t, it’s still illegal, just like anywhere else in the world, irrespective of work permit.

2 Likes

I have people occasionally ask me to come to their house for 5-10 hours a week and talk in English with them and or their kids.

They offer around 1000 an hour plus other extras. I’m not interested but I say go for it.

1 Like

Not quite…

Anyway, you need to abide by the Income Tax Act, but failure to do so would not make the tutoring itself illegal (i.e. you wouldn’t be fined and deported for violating the Employment Service Act).

If it’s true (as it seems to be) that the JFRV (visa) itself does not indicate permission to work, we should say if you have a marriage-based ARC you have open work rights.

The type of work permit tando is talking about is the type you can get if you have an APRC. Iow, the average foreigner cannot legally work as a tutor.

It’s possible that the “employment gold card” will allow tutoring, but that’s still just a proposal.

2 Likes

Seriously dude?
From your article:

Income taxes are used in most countries around the world.

Close enough.

You’re submitting some weird false equivalency between “illegal” and “deportable”.
They’re hardly the same thing.

Buddy’s question in the OP, to reflesh your memory, goes like this:

Failure to comply with taxation regulations, is, most definitely, illegal.
In any sense of the word.

So, to clearly answer @padraig’s question,

[quote=“Rocket, post:6, topic:161782”]
(Not) if you declare it and file taxes on the income.[/quote]

What do you know?.
Right back where we started.

Just my impression.

yyy is not quite disagreeing your post. He just pointed out tax issue is not specific to foreigners, but any locals too, in Taiwan and most countries.
And making your statement more accurate, that “it’s still illegal, just like almost anywhere else in the world”.

1 Like

The anywhere vs. almost anywhere distinction is not actually for the sake of nit-picking but rather to inspire people to imagine a better world, a world without income tax. :rainbow: :grinning: :unicorn:

You could also say tutoring is illegal unless you refrain from rape, murder, etc. But when people ask if it’s legal, they tend to be thinking about the whole permission to work thing, which is separate from all the other illegal activities you hypothetically could do in relation to the tutoring.

Wow, that’s…