Typhoons 2016

Hey, it’s actually typhoon-like in Danshui at the moment: higher winds, and driving rain too. Maybe I won’t put the plants back out on the balcony just yet.

In this video around the 0:45 mark it shows satellite images and explains the wind/rain in Taipei.

[quote=“Ibis2k12”][quote=“Icon”]First reports: 2 dead, 66 injured.
weather.com/storms/hurricane/ne … cts-taiwan
m.focustaiwan.tw/news/asoc/201607080010.aspx[/quote]

“In addition to the 69 Taidong casualties, a further three were also reported, one in the eastern county of Yilan

What? How? Did someone go swimming in Su Ao during a typhoon? AGAIN?[/quote]

A soldier went fishing. No comments.

[quote=“Icon”]First reports: 2 dead, 66 injured.
If I got it right, one person died yesterday PREPARING some stuff for the typhoon. He climbed a ladder for removing something, and then he fell and died. It is not fair to blame the typhoon for this :smiley:

I don’t know about the other case, but yeah, this one has been nastier in the South.

[quote=“Icon”][quote=“Ibis2k12”][quote=“Icon”]First reports: 2 dead, 66 injured.

“In addition to the 69 Taidong casualties, a further three were also reported, one in the eastern county of Yilan

What? How? Did someone go swimming in Su Ao during a typhoon? AGAIN?[/quote]

A soldier went fishing. No comments.[/quote]
That reminds me of the first typhoon I lived here in Taiwan. A drunk guy fell into a ditch and drawned. I’m doing my best for not making jokes.

[quote=“Abacus”][quote=“ranlee”]Heavy rain starting in Song Shan right now.

Been longer than 10 minutes. Seems like it won’t stop for awhile.[/quote]

It won’t last that long. The radar shows you getting the tail of the typhoon. Very hard rain but the storm isn’t very wide.

Kaohsiung is getting a break from the storm. There is a lot more rain on the way but I wonder if the typhoon strength winds are greatly reduced for the rest of the day. We have a lot of down branches but not much significant damage especially compared to Taidong.[/quote]

The CWB issued a warning at around 3pm that from Chiayi down both rain and wind will intensify. Nepartak has left the Island but effects will linger. It slowed down when it hit the Central Mountain Range.

They were showing floods in Kaohsiung. But not as bad as the rivers turned angry deadly currents in Taitung.

Anyway, I’m already back frmo my 40km ride inclydnig GuanYingShan, and overall I liked it. The typhoon helped out if anything. Some parts were harder, some easier, but overall it was cooler than the average summer ride in Taiwan. I’m happy to be back already though. I was under the rain when going downhill and that made it a bit scarier than usual, but other than that, everything was quite OK.

Thanks. Helpful and informative.

[quote=“Icon”]

A soldier went fishing.[/quote]

Took my plants back on the balcony to let them enjoy some light.

interesting to hear that down south there were metal sheets flying all over the place. ban the metal sheets!

Just took a tour of Taitung, and any place built with the steel beam and metal sheet construction has been flattened- or at least heavily damaged. The rest looks like a war zone: signs all over the streets, or hanging precariously from buildings, sometimes by powerlines. Cars flipped over or smashed by falling signs, most traffic lights and street lights out of order. A lot of windows blown out; hell, there’s only three or four 7-11s open, though Mickey D’s is runnng at what looks like half-power.

Worst is the trees. We have a lot anyway, and there’s been a big push to turn Taitung into a ‘green’ tourist city- well, we just got a lot browner. Parks, boulevards devastated, a lot of roads blocked by fallen trees, the Black Forest Park now looks like the Black Forest Woodpile.

Still glad there’ve been no casualties- so far. A bunch of the usual morons zipping around at top speed, apparently not noticing the twisted metal and wood blocking traffic lanes.

Just took a tour of Taidong, and any place built with the steel beam and metal sheet construction has been flattened- or at least heavily damaged. The rest looks like a war zone: signs all over the streets, or hanging precariously from buildings, sometimes by powerlines. Cars flipped over or smashed by falling signs, most traffic lights and street lights out of order. A lot of windows blown out; hell, there’s only three or four 7-11s open, though Mickey D’s is runnng at what looks like half-power.

Worst is the trees. We have a lot anyway, and there’s been a big push to turn Taidong into a ‘green’ tourist city- well, we just got a lot browner. Parks, boulevards devastated, a lot of roads blocked by fallen trees, the Black Forest Park now looks like the Black Forest Woodpile.

Still glad there’ve been no casualties- so far. A bunch of the usual morons zipping around at top speed, apparently not noticing the twisted metal and wood blocking traffic lanes.[/quote]

Thats crazy that it barely impacted Taipei. And Taidong is really not that far way.

at least Wulai didn’t get slammed again.I bet they are glad.

[quote=“Andrew0409”]

Thats crazy that it barely impacted Taipei. And Taidong is really not that far way.[/quote]

They are almost as far apart as possible in Taiwan. Taitung is where the storm made landfall as a category 4 while the entire western half of the island was protected by the central mountain range.

I wouldn’t be surprised if there is new political pressure put on illegal structures and especially those made with tin roofs and/or walls. Someone pointed out on FB that all of the signs hanging in front of buildings are also illegal. I have never heard that and they are hanging on virtually every street in Taiwan so I am not sure I believe them.

My worries are not with Wulai, but with Wutai and the extraordinary mountain communities in Pingdong–some of the most beautiful places I’ve seen in Taiwan. They got whacked seriously with Morakot. I hope they are not hit hard this time.

Guy

I’ve never heard that either, but I’m cynical enough that I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if it were true.

OUtside of freeways I have never seen cars overturned like that in Taiwan from phoons. Incredible stuff. That is why they tell you to stay indoors.

Was anyone driving a car that got overturned?

Getting the tail end of the typhoon in Bitan now. Nothing like in the South, but still quite blustery.

Just took a tour of Taidong, and any place built with the steel beam and metal sheet construction has been flattened- or at least heavily damaged. The rest looks like a war zone: signs all over the streets, or hanging precariously from buildings, sometimes by powerlines. Cars flipped over or smashed by falling signs, most traffic lights and street lights out of order. A lot of windows blown out; hell, there’s only three or four 7-11s open, though Mickey D’s is runnng at what looks like half-power.

Worst is the trees. We have a lot anyway, and there’s been a big push to turn Taidong into a ‘green’ tourist city- well, we just got a lot browner. Parks, boulevards devastated, a lot of roads blocked by fallen trees, the Black Forest Park now looks like the Black Forest Woodpile.

Still glad there’ve been no casualties- so far. A bunch of the usual morons zipping around at top speed, apparently not noticing the twisted metal and wood blocking traffic lanes.[/quote]

Seeing the pictures and videos of the destruction, I thought the Takeshi tree was a goner. Lo and behold, they protected it as if it was a national monument, with a series of cables and reinforced base. Hence, it survived the category 17 winds.

m.appledaily.com.tw/realtimenews … 08/903711/

Alas they cannot do that with every tree.

My wife tells me that Tsai Ing-wen will be coming to Taitung tomorrow.

So everything will be fine now. At least it will be as long as she doesn’t say that the scenery in Taitung is like Provence in France.