Typhoons 2017

Plenty of flooded roads in my area of yilan, fun times! We had more rain this we few days than during last typhoon. A few trees fell as well.

The rice fields look like swimming pools, ducks are enjoying it

Well on our side it was practically empty before it started to rain. Saw several stray dogs crossing from one side to another without getting wet. Should have taken a picture to compare.

This is new to me:

Yikes.

Hurricanes going in that direction are not unusual at all, they’ve been happening for centuries. I’d say even millennia, but there are no records past a certain point, though there’s no doubt they. happened.

They do get hit on occasion but I wouldn’t characterise it as not unusual.
Aslo that storm was tracking g directly to the south of Ireland last I looked.
It is unusual to get hit by a strong one
I remember one very powerful storm which was hurricane Charlie in my childhood. That storm unleashed hundreds of lightning bolts all night never seen anything like it.

There are records ‘bjg winds’ in Ireland going back centuries. One is literally called ‘the night of the big wind’ (oiche na ghaoithe mor) :slight_smile: but it was obviously no laughing matter for those people.

Edit it seems.unlikely fhat one could have been a hurricane as was in January, but there are records of hurricanes forming in January

For me.there is an interesting different in living on the Atlantic coast compared to the Pacific. The Atlantic seems to be a lot lot, windier , unpredictable and stormier in general.but the Pacific seems to get more powerful storms (typhoons).with a lot more intense precipitation.

Now I’m getting confused…
What’s the difference between typhoon, hurricane, twister and tornado? Aren’t these all the same?

Typhoon = Pacific Ocean
Hurricane = Atlantic Ocean

Twisters and tornadoes are the same thing, just different names. They have extremely strong winds but are small in size and duration is usually fairly short. They’re called twister or tornado when they form on land, if they form on sea (or move on it) they have a different name.

Not quite–there are Pacific hurricanes as well. The international date line is the dividing line. They’re all “tropical cyclones”.

http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/A1.html

Waterspouts.

I knew I could count on you to clarify these nomenclatures Mr. Wtf! :bowing:

Oh, Cyclones! I had forget about those!
I guess all names mentioned fall under the cyclone category right?

Yes, basically any spinning thingy is considered a cyclone, then depending on location, size, etc they get different names.

But they all come from the God of Spinning Winds, who, in His eternal Glory, blesses us with wetness and windiness.

1 Like

Why always going to Philippines?
I just made quick call to my old folks.

Forgot one.

The giant red spot which laughs at your Earthian puniness.

http://hubblesite.org/videos/news/release/2008-27

Meanwhile …Ireland can’t believe a hurricane is slamming into it right now.

You could try to move the islands somewhat to the south, out of the path of typhoons. The Philippines has the bad luck to be right on many of the typhoon paths.

1 Like

Hurricane, typhoon, tropical storm, storm, superstorm, tornado, windstorm, whirlwind, tempest.

“a system of winds rotating inwards to an area of low barometric pressure, with an anticlockwise (northern hemisphere) or clockwise (southern hemisphere) circulation; a depression.”

Yes, indeed Philippines is a hot zone.

Hope everyone in your family is OK!

Guy

2 Likes

And this is why I never had Irish teachers…