Typhoons 2017

On this island, we do not welcome typhoons that arrive on weekends. Turn around and or/come sooner/later.

typhoon

2 Likes

Does the CWB have specific standards for the release of alerts, or do they decide case by case ? Apparently it’s going to be a very mild typhoon.

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/vsAzaXE

Not sure why Imgur is not showing the preview, anyway there’s high certainty on the typhoon’s final trajectory.

Only exception is one model which is clearly high af

Mid sized.

So far, as per the news, 4 agencies including CWB and US have the typhoon coming in through Taitung. …

…however, with the TS by Filipinas, a westward current could make this into another Morakot. Yes, that is what they said.

That would be . . . not good. :frowning_face:

Guy

Forecasted peak intensity is really mild, not a typhoon to be too worried about. The disturbance caused by other storms/depressions is going to weaken it before landfall, then it will pay a visit to China as a moderate tropical storm.

Edit to be more precise: it should be category 3 at its peak, then cat 2 or 1 at landfall.

No worries guys, our friends in Taidong may enjoy a day off on Sunda…oh.

They are warning the typhoons will affect all of Taiwan, but especially the South.

Not good.

EDIT
IMG_20170727_225547

Flying in storms are not for the queasy. A lot of planes still fly though, right up to when they can’t.

Current forecast is category 2 prior to landfall, category 1 for us.

It’s literally nothing, no need for more Doom Paul images, I’ll save them for something more relevant.

I generally enjoy your posts, but to state that a cat 2 or 1 typhoon is “literally nothing” gives the wrong impression on the amount of respect ppl. got to pay for ANY typhoon.
Unfortunately, Cat. 1 typhoons have killed scores of people on this island, being it the wind or the rain.

That’s good news that it’s not gonna be another all-night smash-up fest - though there’s still the rainfall situation to consider

Seems to be moving at a reasonable clip and doesn’t appear overly laden with rain which is good but need to keep an eye on it for any slow-down, especially just prior to landfall

From the sat image it seems Kenting is about to get ‘blobbed’ while the main payload looks to be in the back-half

http://www.cwb.gov.tw/V7/observe/satellite/Data/s5q/s5q-2017-07-28-07-30.jpg

This. It’s when typhoons stop moving and remain stationary over Taiwan–or slowly move through, then come back!–that Very Bad Things can happen.

I hope this one moves briskly and uneventfully across Taiwan. But if it slows down, watch out!

Guy

Apparently it may do the stalling in China (in the area just next to us) then move in direction of Shanghai, but by that time it will have weakened a lot.

Feelsbadman.

Regarding the forecast of this typhoon as basically nothing, I stand by my previous statement. Winds just barely placed within typhoon category and the forecast speed and direction combined with its size give no suggestion over the fact it may stall in Taiwan and drop Morakot’s levels of rain. Could it happen? Sure, anything can happen, but preparations should keep forecasts in mind or there wouldn’t even need to be any, just assume death and destruction for any tropical depression and everyone will be safe.

I agree it might be a mild one, but my worry is that we do not need a lot of wind to cause a lot of damage. I mean, just last month we had the plum rains, the traumatic floods down Keelung, and loss of life from flash floods. So any rain over 200 mm should be trated with respect. These tropical storms have the habit of biting us in the behind when we least expect it.

a new invest is showing up between here ad vietnam. some
models ignore it, some think it may follow Nesat and bring some additional bad weather to the west coast

When in Rome kind of thing I guess. When in the typhoon thread on forumosa… I hope this is up to your standards.

so it begins

1 Like

Your offering is acceptable.

In the north we’re now experiencing the far outer bands of the typhoon, it’s nice to have a bit of wind a this time of the day

Tomorrowland music festival in Kaohsiung postponed.