Typhoons 2017

Yeah, that’s not looking good. CWB has it making landfall around northern Taidong as well. Shit. Now I’ve got a full hard day’s work to prepare the bloody farm

I thought it was supposed to be your turn in the north this year!

According to CWB, the eye is meant to make landfall around 2am on Sunday - always in the middle of the bloody night!

We need te rain and some air cleaning. Info here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt8zh930abE

Rain is expected from this evening on up North. The effects of the typhoon, however, will be felt strongly around late Friday or Saturday.

2015 Saudelor and Dujuan WERE our fair share!

Also, you Southerners (lol xD) always complain about the lack of rain! There you go!

Last year we only had one typhoon causing concern in yilan (Nepartak maybe?) and it arrived during the day, it was pretty cool to see what happens during the peak of such a storm!

Saudelor was just darkness >_>

2 Likes

Hmmmm.
Me girls are booked to be fucking off to Kenting for hols on Monday.
They’re starting to get a little nervous in the service.

Kenting on Monday may be alright in terms of survival, but depending on how far South the typhoon hits you may not enjoy the beach a lot.

Not me, I’m staying here, but yeah, that’s what I figured.

After reading the term “Landfall” numerous times, I used to think it refers to rocks falling from mountains or something … but it does not mean so!

Landfall is the event of a storm moving over land after being over water [Landfall is the time at which a storm passes over shore.]. (Landfall - Wikipedia)

So it has nothing to do with any particular kind of damage.

Will it be safe to fly out on Saturday night? Anyone one knows how big is this Typhoon this time. I experience the biggest typhoon hit Kaohsiung and its really scary.

Uhhh, I sure hope you’re not a native English speaker, buddy.

If he was, he isn’t anymore…

1 Like

Typhoons in Kaohsiung are so mundane! You need to be on the East Coast to enjoy the ride to Valhalla!

If the typhoon heads South and makes landfall in Pingdung/Taidong, flights from Taipei may be alright because this typhoon is not looking particularly strong.
If it heads closer to Hualien/Yilan, then flights from Taipei will probably be delayed.

why? do all native English speakers learn this term in school?

Well…yes?

Yep, news now are saying that it si likely it wil hit us on Monday, and the effects felt up to Wednesday.

See video in this link:

70 knots peak = meh

That is the most likely path. Other possibilities:

Capture _2017-07-27-11-16-49

Haha, that’s true - but over a month of hot baking rainless days and then a destructive monster rolling ashore is not exactly ideal - you could forgive us for quibbling

IMAG2368

Actually, it’s a very similar scenario to last year - looked likely that it was heading north and no-one was too concerned and then with just 24hrs notice it turned and locked onto Taidong city - and jumped up suddenly to a cat 5 for good measure

Now most news websites are reporting landfall between Saturday and Sunday in Taidong/Hualien.