Vietnamese worker shot nine times :facebook:

I made it to a screening this evening in Taipei City thanks to the helpful details posted above by @foc .

At times And Miles To Go Before I Sleep (2023) is an informative documentary on challenges facing migrant workers in Taiwan, ranging from the infamous Thai uprising in K-Town during the construction of the KMRT to ongoing abuses throughout Taiwan in construction, manufacturing, and fishing. At other times, this film provides an unflinching focus on some of the most brutal racist policing out there courtesy of cops in Hsinchu County (including body cam video from the muderous cop—how the filmmakers got their hands on this footage is something I’d very much like to know). It’s utterly harrowing.

The small theatre in which I saw the film (four rows of seats only) was full. I don’t think any of us who saw this will ever forget this film.

Guy

3 Likes

As it turns out, lots.

Guy

It doesn’t. Aside from the fact that the whole of Taiwan ends up looking like a mafia state through its brutal exploitative labour broker system.

Guy

Yes, and it is utterly unambiguous with those Hsinchu County cops.

Guy

This film has now been reviewed in English, by Brian Hioe writing at No Man Is An Island:

Guy

4 Likes

Good review. There is just one more commercial showing at 4:15pm (Century Asia Theater Nangang) on Wed. Oct. 18 in Taipei. English subtitles.

There is another free showing though in Chiayi City on October 29 at 1:30pm. More details on the documentary’s Facebook page.

It was shown at Taoyuan District Court on October 13. This is where the officer who killed Nguyen Quoc Phi was tried and convicted negligent manslaughter. His eight month sentence was suspended.

4 Likes

Post liked for the helpful details—not because I like the eight month suspended sentence part, which looks utterly inadequate given what evidently transpired in Hsinchu County in 2017.

Guy