Vietnamese worker shot nine times :facebook:

This seems unreal. The official explanation is that he was not restrained so he could not be treated, but there was not even an attempt to restrain him while the EMTs were present.

They still seem to be open for business: https://www.baltimorepolice.org/. They’re recruiting too, if you want to go make a real difference instead of constantly blowing hot air on an internet forum.

So this thread has devolved into imaginary scenarios where the guy with 9 bullet holes in him gets up, finds a rock and pitches it at one of the EMT workers there to save his life? But that’s the thing, I don’t blame the EMTs at all (I don’t think anybody does). They listened to the police and did things seemingly by the book. This whole situation is on the police officer who refused to let them treat the man. Why? Because he wasn’t restrained? So restrain him. It’s psychotic not to help someone with life threatening injuries, even if they did commit the heinous crime of, er, throwing rocks and, uh, being an illegal immigrant.

No offense to the dad, but if Nguyen was left with $10,000 a month and he sent his dad US$1000 every 2 months, the numbers don’t quite add up.

2 Likes

How could they have safely attempted to restrain him?

Are you sure that’s the video you intended to link to?

I think that’s the incident this thread is about. Why?

He must have been effing superhuman if he was still ‘behaving belligerently’ with nine bullets in him.

Apparently this is the standard-issue weapon for police:

The 9x19mm Parabellum is unpleasantly effective. That guy was down and staying down.

My view of the police has changed considerably since this incident. They appear to be a bunch of vaguely ineffective and mostly lazy mantou-bellied boys who were smart enough to do police training but not smart enough to work for HTC. Clearly, there are some nasty characters in the ranks too.

Still, it’s perfectly reasonable to not release the footage while there is an ongoing investigation. Frustrating, and a prime opportunity to make evidence disappear, but unfortunately reasonable.

Yeah it’s really hard to imagine you being able to do much with 9 bullets in you. Maybe if it was a 22. My friend got shot 6 times with a 22 and drove a while and fought off the guys that tried to rob him getting to his moms house because he thought he was going to die so he wanted to see his mom.
Unless the guy was loaded up with a cocktail of drugs. I don’t think anyone can get up after 9 shots with a 9mm. You might not die but you certainly won’t be moving.

More than reasonable, but reading that article you start to see the police bureau doing damage control. The article begins with a fairly reasonable explanation as to why he was shot. Taking them at face value, it still spells incompetence but he has some defense at least.

When it gets to their re-telling of the events involving the ambulances, however… nope. They’re either outright lying or have seriously, seriously exaggerated the events. It makes me question the first few paragraphs, but let them finish the investigation first. Hey, perhaps squirming in agony equals aggression.

The thing is, the whole “that’s MY ambulance” defense just doesn’t work. Sure, that guy needed urgent medical care too but somebody on the scene should have known the more urgently injured man needed to be a priority. At the very least, the EMTs should have been able to quickly examine him before deciding.

WTF. Did he survive? What happened to the guys who shot him?

I did wonder if the guy was doped up. Gaboman’s comment about the salary not adding up suggests maybe he was earning a bit on the side from somewhere, unless it’s the usual case of the press not getting their numbers straight.

Anyone seen, oh, 100 odd Hollywood movies in which the protagonist is selling drugs for the police but keeps some product for himself/cuts the stash and then gets taken out by the cops only some pesky reporter gets wind of the dirt?

Anyway, never underestimate the incompetence of Taiwan police. Anyone who was here during the Chen Jing-xing (sp?) fiasco will back me up on this. There was a super shootout just down the road from my office with bullets flying until someone realized it was all different groups of police shooting at each other, Chen et. al had long since fled the scene.

Yeah, he made it all the way to his mom’s house. And the ambulance came. He actually refused to tell the police who shot him…he was a drug dealer so. But most of his shots were in the arm, and although 22s are nasty in that they bounce around after going in you, none of it really hit anything vital. He did have some nerve damage in the arm and had to rehab it before he could do anything.

But like I said, if you take 3-4 9mm bullets center mass to the chest and abdomen, you’re not going to be able to do much. So unless he got shot almost entirely in the limbs and grazed. I don’t know how he could have moved.

I do know from my friend who got shot…he shot another guy who was amped up on meth and pcp going crazy and coming at him. That he shot him multiple times with a 9mm and the guy did not drop and just kept coming like nothing happened. So it’s entirely possible as i myself have seen what too much drugs and mixing them can do to some one. I did not hang around the best kind of people in HS and college… I had one guy try to stab me with a knife in a after party at a hotel room after he smoked too much crack and his buddy had to hold him down because he thought I was plotting to kill him. It’s all fun and games until you get that guy that takes it to another level. Luckily i don’t hang out with that kind of people anymore lol

Ah right. Occupational hazard, then :slight_smile:

Thing is though, if the Vietnamese guy was a known dealer, why didn’t the police just say so instead of making up transparent nonsense? Curiouser and curiouser.

Idk. I do have a feeling that the police in taiwan don’t go through much situational training with firearm use. Which is just as bad as their American counter parts who are over sensitive to situations like that and get the fear of God put in them that everyone is a threat and trying to kill you. Guns are scary when you put it in the hands of the untrained and give them power.

1 Like

I very much doubt he had nine bullets in him. Seriously.

I very much doubt you doubting he had nine bullets in him. Seriously.

Wow

http://www.atimes.com/article/policeman-ordered-stand-trial-killing-migrant/

2 Likes

No man should be above the law even those who uphold the law.

8 Likes

And Miles to Go Before I Sleep" (Chinese title: 九槍, literally “nine shots”). Highly recommended. Now limited showings in theaters this week. English and Chinese subtitles.

4 Likes