Visa Extension denied - Work permit in process

Posting for a friend:
She is waiting for a work permit application that is taking considerable time. Labor Office keeps asking for more papers to the company. Job is for a marketing position.
She holds a 60 day visitor visa without no-extension stamp (Applied in HK) that will expire soon. Visa has a remark that her purpose is waiting for a work permit with that company.
Immigration office just rejected her a visa extension saying that they don’t know if work permit will be accepted or rejected and she has to go out of Taiwan and apply for visa again.
wtf, is not a visa extension exactly for such cases?

thoughts? anyone been in that situation? any risk applying for visa again in HK (she is from a no visa-exempt country)?

Firstly, some questions:

Did your friend submit the app within the first two weeks of February? I ask because offices tend to get backed near the long holiday.

If it’s the office’s fault that they did not request the right docs from your friend, I would hold them accountable and request they pay for her flight or her visa (or both). Most of the time, the employee is supposed to take full responsibility for applying for your work and ARC. A bit shady when the office doesn’t want to do it and has you do runs to the immigration office.

1 Like

My company handled the work permit, but I had to go to immigration for my ARC and the renewals.

When I first got here, the visa at arrival was only for 30 days and we were also having trouble getting the work permit. Had to make a visa run to HK after the first 30 days and almost a second one, but got the work permit right before the second 30-day visa expired.

1 Like

Company applied around December I think. First time hiring foreigner so they are inexperienced, specially with that non sense finance requirements for employer.

thoughts about visa extension, doesn’t apply for pending work permit applications?

The visa is non-extendable. You need the work permit to get that over-turned. Classic Catch 22.

Yah, I think I’m getting mixed up with work permit and ARC. Don’t temp me @yyy , I swear I know the difference.

Company HR accompanied me both times to immigration for my initial ARC app and renewal. HR lady is a workaholic, so she knows her shit.

It seems your friend might have to cough up the money and make a trip to HK.

1 Like

Got it, thanks for replies. she will give it a try again with immigration office.
I don’t think there is risk in HK to apply visa for second time but what a waste of money.

If the company is not very much reliable on the procedure, she can check what document is required by herself at the site below.

https://ezworktaiwan.wda.gov.tw/ezworken/home.jsp?pageno=201508070002

one-does-not-simply-ask-not-to-be-temped

Temp is seriously overcrowded right now in the wake of all that holiday madness (thanks @mad_masala), so I’ll let this one pass. But don’t take it as a precedent. :no_no:

Aaaaand that’s the last silly post. We now return to our very serious, very boring discussion about work permits and stuff. :slight_smile: :rainbow:

A post was merged into an existing topic: Why so much repression? :nsfw: