WCIF baklava?

Where can I buy Turkish baklava in Taipei?
Thank you! :sunglasses:

[color=#008000]Note: edited by the moderator to separate the search topics. Please post topics separately so that the mod can merge with existing threads, if any. Thanks! :slight_smile: --DB[/color]

I realize that when posters ask where they can BUY something, they may not want to make it themselves. But a few may, if they find out the desired item is truly unavailable here, be interested in having a go at DIY. So I often provide info on how to make it yourself, or links to other threads or sites on this topic. Enigma has kindly provided info on making your own baklava, including where to get the filo dough, here: viewtopic.php?f=98&t=39714. Perhaps the OP can bribe him to make some? :laughing:

Try a greek or turkish restaurant?

I’m guessing they don’t have it in stores anywhere.

A quick Internet search turns up:

https://www.facebook.com/baklavataiwan/

I believe Sababa also sells baklava.

13 posts were split to a new topic: balaklava

They have it, but call before because they run out fast.

the sababababah one sucks.

i had some baklava recently as my flight back home had a stop in turkey. toooooooooooooooooooooo yum.
i had a chocolate covered one when i got back home too…insanity.

I have seen it at Costco from time to time, but don’t recall seeing it recently.

Andrew linked to Safronbulu above. I’ve had baklava there and it was good, but if I recall correctly they don’t usually have it - that day the manager was quite proud of having just brought some from Turkey. (They do have other tasty Turkish desserts. I like Safronbulu a lot.)

Sababa’s baklava is fine. We’re in Taiwan. You can’t expect the best stuff here. Fortunately I don’t believe I’ve ever seen that desecration that is baklava with chocolate here, so that’s something. I miss Sababa being a chain with branches all over Taipei.

I believe I’ve had baklava at Opa, but I was quite disappointed with the meal the one and only time I went to Opa’s new location in ATT4Fun. I think that time they just had very typical coffee-place desserts anyway. When they first opened their menu was fairly Greek, but since they moved to ATT4Fun, it’s … something else.

Check with Yiamas as well. I see it’s on their first menu, but that’s from three years back, so who knows if they have it now.

On the DIY route: has anyone seen filo / phyllo pastry / dough around lately?

We have made our own baklava numerous times using filo pastry from Willy’s Deli in Tianmu, although it’s been about 2 years since we’ve bought any, and even then, it was pretty fiddly stuff, not easy to use, sticking together frequently and fragmenting, probably due to non-ideal storage conditions before reaching us.