What happens to president horsey

I’m no lover of the Ma administration, but I challenge you to produce proof to back up that claim. Ma is a pushover when it comes to China yet totally inflexible when it comes to his own people, he is aloof and detached from reality, but there has been nothing even in the deep green press to indicate he is corrupt.[/quote]

You better talk to some people that where at the same university in the US in his student days, spying for the KMT on Taiwanese students.[/quote]

Why is that illegal and why should charges be brought up against him? And what does it have to do with his presidency? I thought we were talking about corruption here.

Everyone seems to forget that the accusations against CSB were well established while he was president but nothing could be done while he was in office. There are no comparable accusations against ma. Just admit that you want to watch him burn because you don’t like his party. It has nothing to do with justice.

The KMT has to be annihilated if good governance has to take root.

There’s some stuff on Wikipedia about his alleged corruption while serving as Mayor of Taipei. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ma_Ying-je … llegations
However, he said he thought that the Special Expenses were a part of his salary.

The KMT has to be annihilated if good governance has to take root.[/quote]

Oh boy, you sound like those deep greens (and maybe you are) who always throws around the slogan, “unless the KMT is annihilated, Taiwan will never get better”.

Oh boy, you sound like those deep greens (and maybe you are) who always throws around the slogan, “unless the KMT is annihilated, Taiwan will never get better”.[/quote]

Read up on 1989…

Oh boy, you sound like those deep greens (and maybe you are) who always throws around the slogan, “unless the KMT is annihilated, Taiwan will never get better”.[/quote]

Read up on 1989…[/quote]

Its 2014, soon to be 2015.

When was the reform?

So that one party DPP rule can be established?

Yup, I think the DPP’s aim IS in fact ONE PARTY DPP RULE.

Nobody really learns on Taiwan (or China). Its ONE PARTY IN CHARGE. The Emperor syndrome (there is but ONE Emperor).

The DPP is in fact a Revolutionary Party. Not a Democratic Party versus Republican Party thing ala the USA.

Of course the KMT is a party with a lot of unsavory baggage.

And let’s not forget the big elephant in the room.

China is not likely to tolerate a KMT less Taiwan !

They have a long long history with the KMT.

I’m not sure about corruption charges w/r/t Ma, but wasn’t much of the investigation into WJP last year done illegally? The prosecutor Ma tasked with going after Wang was jailed for wire-tapping. I would imagine that will come back to haunt him.

I doubt if Tsai Ing Wen wins the presidency she will go on a romanization/name changing crusade. She is not nearly as much of a zealot as A-bian, who himself largely went that route only after years of being stymied by the KMT legislature and to distract from all the corruption charges against him. I think we will see a lot of quiet administrative changes done in the name of reform and streamlining that will achieve much of what the name changing campaign sought to do, for example getting rid of the skeleton of the provincial government and references to 台湾省 in addition to superfluous ministries like the Tibetan & Mongolian Affairs Council.

The DPP will not be able to destroy the KMT; only the KMT can do that, and it’s doing a damn fine job lately. If Eric Chu is actually able to enact the changes he has come out in favor of, then the KMT will likely make a comeback, but it will aslo be nothing like the party we know today.

You can’t impeach someone who’s not in office, and Ma has been very very careful not to break the law. It seems to me you’re implying CSB was imprisoned for political purposes. His fat wad of cash says otherwise.[/quote]

Chen was imprisoned for political purpose. Chen was very popular among the Taiwanese and many of us have made political contribution to him over a very long period of time. The money was intend for a strong-man to operate pro-Taiwan agenda without succumbing to financial coercion by pro-Chinese forces. Such financial contribution did not result in any personal gain for the tens of thousands of donors from all walks of life.

The obvious mistake was that Taiwanese falsely believe that magnanimity towards the Chinese would be reciprocated.

The purpose to imprison Chen, by the Chinese on this side of the strait, was to threaten and prevent Taiwanese from supporting any pro-indepdence candidate financially. It is customary of Chinese culture to persecute by inflicting physical harm on political enemies.

Wow. This is ridiculous. Annihilating the primary opposing party to the DPP would be horrible for Taiwan democracy.

Wow. This is ridiculous. Annihilating the primary opposing party to the DPP would be horrible for Taiwan democracy.[/quote]
Another party would inevitably rise to take its place. Regardless, the KMT as we know it is dying. If Eric Chu gets his way with these reforms, the KMT will be unrecognizable.

Wow. This is ridiculous. Annihilating the primary opposing party to the DPP would be horrible for Taiwan democracy.[/quote]

Spoken like an American. Such a thing does happen though in other democracies. Canada for example. That big place to your north.

there were primary political parties annihilated in the history of the US as well.

There was the Federalist Party. Who got annihilated by the Democratic-Republicans. After the first party system ended, things were going so well, they dubbed it “the era of good feelings”. Although after a while the Democratic-Republicans were split into the Democrats and the Whigs.

Whigs were strongly divided on the issue of slavery and got annihilated prior to the civil war. The Republican party emerged from that fallout, and became what basically was Whigs with a strong anti-slavery message.

Since they the Democrats and Republicans pretty much annihilated themselves by completely switching positions on almost everything around the mid 20th century.

Why is that illegal and why should charges be brought up against him? And what does it have to do with his presidency? I thought we were talking about corruption here.

Everyone seems to forget that the accusations against CSB were well established while he was president but nothing could be done while he was in office. There are no comparable accusations against ma. Just admit that you want to watch him burn because you don’t like his party. It has nothing to do with justice.[/quote]

It just gives away his (Ma’s) character … big smile outside, dark inside …
Spying on your fellow countrymen and students during the martial law era … He’ll sell out Taiwan in a blink of an eye to save his ass.

In this thread: CSB is an angel and MYJ is Satan.

I sympathize greatly with Chen and really dislike the Ma administration, but come on guys, this isn’t a Disney cartoon. There is no totally good and totally bad. Real life is just not that simple.

[quote=“Hokwongwei”]In this thread: CSB is an angel and MYJ is Satan.

I sympathize greatly with Chen and really dislike the Ma administration, but come on guys, this isn’t a Disney cartoon. There is no totally good and totally bad. Real life is just not that simple.[/quote]

How so? You are projecting I think. No one has claimed Chen is an angel.

[quote=“Hokwongwei”]In this thread: CSB is an angel and MYJ is Satan.

I sympathize greatly with Chen and really dislike the Ma administration, but come on guys, this isn’t a Disney cartoon. There is no totally good and totally bad. Real life is just not that simple.[/quote]

Chen Shuibian was corrupt and he went to jail. I would have preferred him to do a couple of years, however what I hate is that Ma did the same and got into the presidential office.

I hope that Ma goes to jail as well, with the number of cases against him it will not be a remote possibility.

If the KMT wins in 2016, I think it will not happen. If the DPP wins, I think it’s better than 50%. :pray:

It was the court that was corrupted. The trial was illegal. Face the evidence.