What visa do i need to teach Zumba in Taiwan?

Hi, I am a Zumba instructor, i am in taiwan now will love to teach Zumba here. Is there anybody that can help or maybe share any experience with Dancer or teaching Zumba Visa? is there such Visa?

Any Help thank you much in ADVANCE :slight_smile:

Thank you ! Gracias :smile:

The short answer is no. The long answer is not impossible but quite difficult.

It would help if you provided more information about your background I think the only way you’ll manage to do that is to first obtain permanent residency ie an APRC. Problem is that will take you 5 years and you’ll need to be able to get a job to get an ARC and to qualify you need to have a degree. Or you could marry somebody, get a JFRV, wait 3 years and then get an APRC. You could also teach English part-time (but part-time jobs are hard to come by) and teach Zumba in your spare time.

If you have a professional dance instructing certificate/license AND you can find a dance studio in Taiwan that teaches Zumba (big maybe) AND they are willing to take you on and go through all the paperwork needed to hire a foreigner (again big maybe) then OK - maybe you could get a work permit to teach Zumba in Taiwan, maybe.

The thing is I doubt Zumba is even something many people have heard of in Taiwan. No idea if you would be able to get enough willing students to make it a worthwhile.

And no - there is no ‘visa’ (please remember that in Taiwan a ‘visa’ only allows you to enter the country - further paperwork is needed to be done to obtain the permit that allows you to stay long term and work) that is specific to specific industries. A basically working visa is a working visa - which allows you to enter Taiwan with the intent purpose of working in Taiwan.

I agree that the short answer is no. :frowning2:

A good comparison is the Cordon Bleu incident that was in the news a year or so ago. They founded a branch in Taiwan, only to find out that “culinary arts teacher” was not on the list of approved jobs for foreigners, meaning that they couldn’t get work permits for foreign teachers, and as a foreigner you need a work permit for any work you perform in Taiwan, with some exceptions:

1. Volunteer work is permitted, but it has to meet certain conditions. (There’s a thread on this site that explains the conditions.)

2. If you have a JFRV (the visa you can get by marrying a local), you can do almost anything (no need for an APRC). Of course, you shouldn’t marry someone just for a visa, and there are many cautionary tales about divorce.

3. If you have an APRC, you can do almost anything.

4. If you have a working holiday (aka youth mobility) visa, you can do almost anything, but for a limited time. (There’s another thread explaining how this works.)

5. There are other, obscure exceptions to the work permit requirement in the Employment Service Act and the associated regulations, for refugees, people with connections, etc.

After the CB people went to the media, the Ministry of Labor declared that cooking teachers would be allowed under the part of the law that lets them add jobs administratively, without amending the law. They set the bar very high though, to keep out teachers who haven’t studied at “famous” schools.

If there is no way to issue a work permit for a dance teacher, then a teaching license won’t make a difference. (For teaching languages, the teaching license is only needed if you want to work in a “school” instead of a buxiban aka “cram school”.)

If you get a work permit for one job, you still need a second work permit for any other job. If the details of your work permit (employer’s name and address, job description) don’t match what you’re actually doing, it’s illegal work.

Thanks for clarifying all of that, @yyy. My knowledge of immigration rules and laws still needs time to get polished up to your standard. My goal :smile:

I forgot about the youth working holiday visa. @Titoboy38, this is your best bet. If you qualify for this, you can come into the country and just find students on your own. Sorting out a venue could be a complicated issue but you could probably just do it in a park. But do you want to actually earn money teaching Zumba in Taiwan or are you willing to do it for free? If you want to take paying customers, you’ll probably need permission from the authorities to use a park or a public space for that purpose, which you could simply be unable to get.

I say give the youth mobility visa a go (if you qualify for that) and make a blog about your journey. It would make for some really interesting reading!

The short answer was no. It’s now yes. I have a company that vets and sponsors artists such as yourself with renewable 1 year work permits that you may then use to apply for your ARC. In fact, the top Zumba instructor in Taiwan is my client and very good friend. Feel free to contact me anytime. Stewart 0912910500.

2 Likes

Hi Toe_Save. A bit off topic I’ve been wondering about the artists with worked permits sponsored by you. Are they able to enrol in a university degree course? To ask the question another way, are those on a work ARC allowed to study a degree in Taiwan? Or is that something that is not allowed by the ministry of foreign affairs/ministry of education?

It’s nice to hear some good news once in a while. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I will look into that. I do know that scholarships may carry a “no work” clause with some unis. I’ll check next week and get back to y’all.

1 Like

Thanks Toe, I look forward to hearing what you find out.

Hey Toe, what did you find out?

YA, sorry. We would be happy to try. I suggest that applicants check with their Unis first.

But the question remains, are those on a work permit allowed to study, or is that something that is against the Taiwan government’s rules.