What was the problem with the help-to-find-biological-mother-in-taipei post?

A couple of nights–or a couple of wee-hours-of-the-morning–ago, I encountered evidence of a post that had apparently been deleted as spam because of having been posted in multiple forums.

Normally, that wouldn’t make me especially curious, except that (1) the title was an attention-getter, apparently something like “Help to Find Biological Mother in Taipei,” and (2) it wasn’t merely Temped, it was deleted outright, so there was no way of getting an idea of what was going on there.

Any information about that?

Sorry CJ, I didn’t see this earlier. Just went back and had a look. They linked to a video several times, but it’s not apparent to me what the video is about or that anyone is in need of help.

No problem, I was just curious about the post.

Was this the video?

I got the link to that video from Charlie_Phillips’ post.* It’s a 1989 British video about how John and Elaine Wood, a British couple, adopted a Taiwanese boy. According to the video, John’s brother Eddie (I’m not sure of the spelling) and Eddie’s Taiwanese partner, whose English name was Heidi, had a son in 1985, whom they named Simon. In the video, John explains that shortly after the birth of Simon, Eddie died of an asthma attack. The rest of the video discusses in a broad way the process that John and Elaine Wood underwent in order to adopt Simon, but the video also contains some additional footage of a human-interest nature.

I did some Googling that persuaded me that most likely John Wood, the adopting father in the 1989 video, is the same person as a barber/hairdresser named John Wood who was made MBE in the 2000s for charitable work. Mr. Wood also apparently did the barbering/hairdressing for some well-known footballers back in the old days.

A June 17, 2009, Manchester Evening News article entitled “Hair’s to MBE for John,” says:

Mr Wood founded Clarity’s salon near Manchester town hall 30 years ago. He has been married to Elaine for 35 years and has four children and five grandchildren.

At about 0:17 through 0:22 in the 1989 video referred to above, the adopting father identifies himself as John Wood, identifies his wife as Elaine, and identifies the three girls in the video as his three daughters. At about 11:32 to 11:45 in the video, the adopting father is in a barbershop, cutting someone’s hair.

*I’m kind of in a dilemma here, because on the one hand, I’d have felt bad if I hadn’t given Charlie_Phillips credit for the link, but on the other hand, Charlie may not want to be dragged into this thing.

If you want to Temp or delete this post, I’m okay with that.

That indeed is it. There wasn’t anything else in the posts though. It struck me as likely spam at first glance, and my trigger finger is pretty quick. You admittedly watched it more closely than I did. Less sure now but still unsure.

I’m okay with whatever you decide, and I hope I haven’t raised a stink. :slight_smile:

Be my guest :slight_smile: I’ll take a look to see what I can do about it.

1 Like

Thanks! :slight_smile:

I don’t mind being dragged into it. I found it flagged as spam, watched the vid and found it to be an interesting story with great historical footage, and statements about Taipei/Taiwan circa 1989. I un-spammed it, then it was deleted.

1 Like

Thanks for that interesting video, Charlie! If that person is looking for his biological mother, I hope he finds her.

I tried to get in touch with them, but haven’t had any luck. I’ll try to create a thread for it.

1 Like

I didn’t expect you to take all that trouble! Thanks, tempogain! :slight_smile: