What would you do with 500,000NT?

I’ve an idea, but wondered what you guys would do.
For the record, I can see only two options: take a year to get a masters or take a year to travel back home, overland. Quick pro of the former is a possible future in employment. Downside is giving money to a university. Quick pro of the latter is, you know, “my kingdom for the road”… A drawback is, well, the romantic, ever appealing, ‘home’ illusion; not to mention the ‘on the road’ fantasy.
500,000NT is about 10,000GBP, 20k USD
Any other ideas!?

Depends. What’s the Master’s in? Will it actually help you improve your job prospects? Will you actually finish in a year.

I did both – took a year to travel and went back to school. Both were great experiences.

That’s roughly what I still owe on my house, so I’d imagine if that sum suddenly turned up on my doorstep I’d march down to the bank with it.

Traveling doesn’t do it for me, other than the occasional one or two week getaway. After two weeks I am quite ready to get back home to my own surroundings.

I’ve thought about returning to school but haven’t decided yet what I want to be when I grow up.

I would buy 10,000 gerbils and a cardboard tube, and go visit George W. Bush.

[quote=“Jaboney”]Depends. What’s the Master’s in? Will it actually help you improve your job prospects? Will you actually finish in a year.

I did both – took a year to travel and went back to school. Both were great experiences.[/quote]

Travel sounds good then!
Was thinking (deep breath) MA TESOL

:ohreally: That fond of him, eh?

I would spend most of it on booze, babes, and blow. The rest I would just waste.

oooh yes. Shock and Awe, I think they call it.

You could use it to Winston Wu the Philippines or Russia for several months.

But you might need to spend a chunk at the clinic if you did more than just pose for pictures with your conquests.

[quote=“trubadour”][quote=“Jaboney”]Depends. What’s the Master’s in? Will it actually help you improve your job prospects? Will you actually finish in a year.

I did both – took a year to travel and went back to school. Both were great experiences.[/quote]

Travel sounds good then!
Was thinking (deep breath) MA TESOL[/quote]

500K was what I spent on my MBA. How much would it be, let me dream, a PhD in say, Rutgers or Penn State? Ok, Temple?

I’d buy lottery tickets.

Buy gold on a dip.

HG

Masters. I’d do my masters, which reminds me, I need to get the ball rolling for my masters…yikes!!

[quote=“trubadour”]I’ve an idea, but wondered what you guys would do.
For the record, I can see only two options: take a year to get a masters or take a year to travel back home, overland. Quick pro of the former is a possible future in employment. Downside is giving money to a university. Quick pro of the latter is, you know, “my kingdom for the road”… A drawback is, well, the romantic, ever appealing, ‘home’ illusion; not to mention the ‘on the road’ fantasy.
500,000NT is about 10,000GBP, 20k USD
Any other ideas!?[/quote]
my sis a few years back had a similiar amount, took a year off work and for six months traveled from cairo to joberg and then flew over to australia/new zealand and stayed there for the remaining six months. she didn’t spend much moolah in africa but the latter 6 months most of the money was gone. she came home with $50 US, no debt, and memories to last a life time. the next week she went back to work.

It’s not an enormous amount, but I’d invest it.

Spend 1/2…Save 1/2…as mentioned, its really not all that much.

A Master’s is a very smart idea…that’s what my husband and I did after saving up in Taiwan and we have never looked back. We immediately got jobs afterwards that well more than doubled the salaries we were earning in Taiwan in addition to a load of other job benefits that we didn’t have there. I am grateful every single day that we did it.

What kind of financial or personal commitments do you have? If none, have fun: travel. I guess I spent about that amount a decade back travelling for a year in Southeast Asia. I have never for a moment regretted spending that money.

That was then; if I came into cash like that now (married with a home), it’d go straight into savings/ investments somehow. And then in 3 years, or whenever it is I can start paying down on the mortgage (as opposed to the monthly installments), it’d all go to help pay that down.

EDIT: Mind you, I already had a Master’s Degree ten years back, so I felt a bit more freedom. Maybe graduate school is a good idea.

mortgage payment or maybe a down payment on a parking space

I’d go here: mutmee.com/ and stay as long as the money lasted.