What's really wrong with Mainland Tourists here?

From what I’ve read, it seems like the Koreans didn’t make a big deal out of it. At least not until the China Times made up fake news about the Koreans making a big deal out of it.

I wonder if Koreans would actually accept drinks from Taxi drivers in Korea. It’s a sad case where a evil man abused Taiwan’s reputation for being friendly, even if it’s just on the surface.

Although, the government should really get a handle on date rape drugs and hard narcotics disguised as candy. Having that crap flood the streets can’t be good for the society, not to mention tourism.

Unless the tourism industry is ready to just be a pawn for the Chinese political agenda, I think this boycott serves as a wake up call to the danger of tourism in the form of a government handout, a hostile foreign government’s handout no less.

Notice all the tourists from China around? You don’t? That’s because they have not been permitted to enter Taiwan since the start of the pandemic. And before then, Beijing turned off the taps for PRC folks to travel to Taiwan as tourists, presumably to express displeasure about Taiwan’s democratic process in 2016, as brilliantly explained earlier in this thread by @hansioux .

One person who has thought a lot about this topic is now-NTNU faculty member Ian Rowen, who published a book on it with Cornell University Press. Following the pandemic, he reflects on how the situation looks now and where we might be heading:

Geopolitics of Cross-Strait Tourism with author Ian Rowen

Tuesday, January 31, 2023

In One China, Many Taiwans, author Ian Rowen shows how tourism performs and transforms territory. In 2008, as the People’s Republic of China pointed over a thousand missiles across the Taiwan Strait, it sent millions of tourists in the same direction with the encouragement of Taiwan’s politicians and businesspeople. Contrary to the PRC’s efforts to use tourism to incorporate Taiwan into an imaginary “One China,” tourism aggravated tensions between the two polities, polarized Taiwanese society, and pushed Taiwanese popular sentiment farther toward support for national self-determination. Rowen explores the impact of travel and tourism being reopened and what that means for these relationships today.

Summary

After nearly three years of pandemic closures, China finally reopened its borders to travel and tourism in January 2023. Today, the decisions being made by other countries as to how and when to again receive Chinese tourists pivot as much on geopolitical concerns as they do on considerations of health or security. This is because tourism is not just fun and games. Rather, it is an inescapably political practice with profound effects. In the case of tourism across the Taiwan Strait, the political stakes are even existential, as I demonstrate in my book, One China, Many Taiwans: The Geopolitics of Cross-Strait Tourism.

Taiwan, for decades a democratic, de facto independent republic, has long been claimed by a leadership in China that has never ruled it. Starting in 2008, tourism was used to strengthen ties between state and industry on both sides. Many businesspeople and politicians in Taiwan even welcomed the opening, anticipating a windfall. Yet, tourism served, I write, as a “stage for struggle over ethnic identity and national borders, a geopolitical instrument and event that performs and can potentially transform state territory.” Taiwanese society pushed back against its then-president’s China-centric policies, including tourism, by staging a mass protest in 2014. They soon elected a new leadership much more supportive of national self-determination, and cuts to tourism turned out to be one of China’s most publicized modes of retaliation. As I contend in the book, “contrary to the PRC’s efforts to incorporate Taiwan as part of an undivided “One China”, tourism actually aggravated tensions between the two polities, polarized Taiwanese society, and pushed Taiwanese popular sentiment farther towards support for national self-determination.” Finally, by 2020, with the onset of the pandemic, whatever was left of the tourism trade came to a screeching halt. It has yet to resume, and may never will.

The field work I conducted, informed by my past work as a tour guide within China —circling Taiwan in buses with Chinese tour groups, interviewing independent travelers like the one who first learned about the 1989 Tian’anmen Massacre by casually browsing in a Taipei bookstore–is no longer possible today. As sad as the chill may be, it makes the material I collected that much more precious. The face-to-face interactions between Chinese guests and Taiwanese hosts, the personal and public representations of these interactions, and their implications for all involved are as poignant as they are provocative, and warrant further reflection.

The China-Taiwan relationship remains one of the keys to global (dis)order, a persistent fact that was less obvious to Anglophone readers when I first began researching this book in the 2010s, a time when ties between China and Taiwan appeared to be warming. Then, too, the geopolitical instrumentality and impact of tourism flew under the radar of observers, or was misconstrued entirely. No longer.

As the world again receives Chinese tourists, whether with excitement or trepidation, it has much to learn from Taiwan’s experience, as recounted in this book. So too do social scientists and area scholars who would like to better understand the cross-Strait encounter—the moments of affinity and alienation alike—that continue to characterize its condition, and will continue to affect the future not only of the region but of the planet.

Source: Geopolitics of Cross-Strait Tourism with author Ian Rowen - Cornell University Press

Guy

7 Likes

Wish could go back to a time when at least the free-travel tourists from China could come here and relationship was better again. Hopefully after Xi

1 Like

I don’t see how opening up further to tourism in Taiwan would be in Xi’s interest at all. He risks more of his people exposed to the free-thinking Taiwanese, and the Taiwanese economy benefiting off of tourist dollars.

I remember when tourists first started coming back in 2008? Taiwan is already crowded. It was unbearably so afterwards.

3 Likes

I think it was unbearable at the big tourists spots, Taroko Gorge, Sun Moon Lake, Alishan Forest Recreation Area, etc. and mainly because of the tour groups. I don’t mind individual tourists from China at all, cause they are most likely younger and educated.

5 Likes

I predict the ban from Beijing will remain in place for the rest of the Tsai administration (i.e. the rest of 2023).

It’s possible that more clever folks in Beijing could switch up their policy—but they have not struck me as particularly nimble regarding Taiwan.

After 2023, who knows?

Guy

Huh? You were able to edit something from 2017? Or did a mod edit it?

Most of the individual tourists came from big cities and were already free thinking and open minded.

They were pretty cool tbh. Usually spending big and doing things like cycling round the island and going to speakeasy in Taipei. Not talking about horrendous mafia-run tour groups

The Chinese government just wanted to use the bans to economically punish Taiwan like the pineapples

3 Likes

A mod fixed the broken quote windows.

3 Likes

I fixed the quotes. Some quotes were broken. Now that they display correctly, they’re ‘new’ and you got notified.

3 Likes

It’s worth watching if things will get better after May.

2 Likes

160 million tourists in one month? Surely they mean thousands. For comparison, according to the tourism bureau there were 173k arrivals in November 2022 which is the latest month I could find data for: https://admin.taiwan.net.tw/English/FileUploadCategoryListE003130.aspx?CategoryID=317513f2-5a46-4d83-8a39-252e1e9580e3&appname=FileUploadCategoryListE003130

Are the years OK on that graph? We’re already into 2023, and it ends on January 2022.

Guy

Thousands, not millions.