Whats your coolest tool?

I was just reading the thread about Epoxy Resin and realised some Forumosans are actually quite cool and dare I say manly.

Everyone knows that real men have to have power tools. I always wanted a hammer drill but I haven’t even got a screw driver at the moment.

I guess my coolest tool is my retractable tape measure which is quite sad. I do have a full set of tools in a case that I bought in China but I’ve only ever used the screwdriver.

Whats your coolest tool, and how did you learn to use it?

Here?
Maybe one of those nifty foldup Nipponese ripsaws that seem to do twice the job whilst taking up a third of the space…

For true innovative niftiness, you can’t beat the good old String Winder…

Even better with power assist, like the Big Boys use…

Japanese hand saws? That makes two of us.

Those plus my Japanese hand-forged chisels are by far my favourite tools.

i only have one tool, but the Mrs seems pretty happy with it.

So I guess that makes you her favourite tool, yeah?

All tools are cool. But the best one is the one you have with you.
I have carried this for 20+ years now and won’t leave home without it:

Gerber L.S.T. Light, Strong and Tough. A handy dandy pocket knife/tool.

This will do everything except cure the common cold.

[quote=“Dr. McCoy”]This will do everything except cure the common cold.
[/quote]
Is that real? It must be worth a fortune. We hsould have a nother thread called “what would you do with a transporter?”

I’d probably zap myself in and out of ladies changing rooms and stuff 'cos I’m quite pervy

That’s easy - my ice tongs.

My 3-lb. sledge hammer, because I can fix anything with it, heh heh.

[quote=“Edgar Allen”] I always wanted a hammer drill…
[/quote]I’ve wanted one for a while, too. Quite useful here since just about everything is made of concrete. I finally bought one about a month ago. Second-hand from a flea market. I paid NT$ 500. Quite the bargain. :slight_smile:

Hard to say which tool is the coolest.

Probably the air compressor since so many cool air tools depend on it. It’s also nice to have air pressure to blow on things, check tire pressure, etc.

Them guys are pretty cool:

Maybe not the coolest, but by far the tool I use the most frequently is this little guy:

I bought it at Costco. Built in auto-lock so you can use it a standard screwdriver for stiff screws or for more precision. Very strong, you can screw a 3 inch wood screw in hard wood, no problem. Very very useful and a huge time saver whenever I need to screw or unscrew something around the house, on the motorcycle, etc. The battery lasts forever, too. Awesome tool. I highly recommend it.

marboulette

Sorry about the blurry images. Not sure what happened with that. :s

Weidmüller STRIPAX, expensive (>EUR70) but invaluable for stripping smaller wires.

And my old but trusty multimeter, Metex M-4650B:

Back home, my Sawzall. Cuts wood, metal, plastic, nails, cement, you name it.

In Taiwan, my Thinkpad X61. Just bought it last weekend and I’m using it right now. :slight_smile:

Does this count? :smiley:

most of my bike tools are extremely use-specific (some wrenches only get used once or twice a year or so) but this one gets my vote for coolest tool.

improved chain tool

i wish i had a whole set of facers and chasers too, but hardly ever need them… and with bikes in multiple sizes, i’d need several of each.

Yeah, but only because it has a LCD display. :sunglasses:

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]Back home, my Sawzall. Cuts wood, metal, plastic, nails, cement, you name it.

[/quote]

I have one of them back home, too. Mine is made by Makita. Got it from a former carpenter/coke addict for CD$50. He needed coke money and he really wanted me to buy it. Got a Makita table saw from him, too. :idunno: I thought about posting a pic of that, too. Awesome tool that Sawzall.

That blender looks pretty high tech, BTW. I think it can be considered a cool tool for sure.

marboulette

Guys (and gals) keep 'em coming this is cool. I have to say my favourite so far is the chain breaker…where did you get that?

I think we’re branching out into multiple ideas here.
I’d like to establish the Just Plain Perfect category.
La.

The Estwing 24 oz.
All the beef you’ll need, doodad-free.
I reckon I’ve spent more time with my paw wrapped around one of these (I can’t believe I gave all my tools away when I left, fucking doof) than around the current AND ex-Mrs. combined.
Sheer perfection.

[quote=“Edgar Allen”]
Whats your coolest tool, and how did you learn to use it?[/quote]

1. My Little Platinum Limited

2. Practice, practice, practice… :sunglasses: