Where do you let your dog pee?

Coming from New York City, where we follow the rule “curb your dog,” I never let my puppy pee or poo on sidewalks, on the doorsteps of businesses and homes, or on any area that’s under a roof. She’s only allowed to go on the curb, or the streets off the sidewalks where her pee will just flow into the gutter. If she ever makes it to the park, I let her go there too. And of course, when she poos, I pick up after her. As for the pee, I just leave it there. I don’t feel inclined enough to waste a bottle of water every time my dog pees, especially when there seems to be a water shortage every year.

Obviously, I’m not in New York anymore, and there are plenty of people in this country who don’t agree or won’t settle for this sort of common sense. Since I moved to Kaohsiung, I’ve been letting my dog pee just outside of my apartment. Her usual spot has been off to the side of our garage entrance, more or less in-between two businesses, but on the street where there is a no-parking zone (where of course, it’s really free parking here! But that’s a different issue). I’ve also been getting a lot of grief from the real estate office on the far side of the entrance. The workers there like to spectate from behind their windows, catch my dog in the act of peeing there, and then come over to let me know that my dog is an environmental hazard, that her pee makes the garage smell (god knows how, when we’re about twenty feet away from it!), and gets dragged around by the tires of cars and scooters. They tell me to go to the park to let her pee (what a joke! when the public workers in this city shoo dog owners away from parks as well), and if they catch me at that spot again, they had enough reasons to report me to the police! My girlfriend and I dared them to do just that, but they shut themselves up and didn’t bother us for some time.

Today, my dog was peeing again in the usual spot, and one of the employees, who just happened to walk by me, continued to walk into her office, all the while staring at me and not saying a word. Turns out that she went off squealing to her coworker that I was letting my dog pee by his scooter in that very no-parking zone. He comes out, stands and waits right in front of me way after the fact, and just watches the pee puddle for a bit until it flows (guess where) right towards his scooter tire. That’s when he decides to whine to me that my dog deliberately peed on his scooter. Okay, before they were being ridiculous, and now, they’re just making it personal.

I’m getting really frustrated at this situation. Aside from the passive aggressive complaints that Taiwanese people make, there aren’t really many places where dogs are welcome. So where IS an acceptable place to let dogs go?

if you wanna be passive aggressive, take the dog over infront of their shop office and make him pee - they will be forced by the boss to clean it up, then after a week of that, say do you mind that I let my dog pee here on the street now?

Let me get this straight. Your dog pees. It gets on someone’s scooter. They’re not happy. You appear surprised and annoyed by this, yet you’re disinclined to clean up after it. Is this correct?

Something tells me you are a woman(?), because a guy would know the correct response is to unzip and pee on his scooter himself. Taxi drivers do it all the time - just blame it on one of them.

Taiwan’s cities are very densely populated. Many people are offended by animal urine in their immediate environment. There was a similar story on this site where a local was letting her kid piss in the street near a poster’s house and he didn’t like it. Down the drain sounds like a good solution, but in a hot place, unless you wash it down, it’s still going to stink.

Your dog is your problem; if you choose to keep animals in your house, you shouldn’t let them infringe on other people’s rights to enjoy piss-free personal possessions.

I carry a water bottle and I squirt water on the offending pee. In reality, it is not much, but people here see you doing something and they think it works, so they don’t complain.

You can thank my dogs for the abundant tea harvest at the local organic tea farm this year.

Train your dog to go to the bathroom in a specific spot; better for everyone, including you.

Make them wear nappies so all the women that are offended will stop complaining about your dog peeing to call him cute instead and ask you where they can buy a dog just like yours and if the nappies come for free included in the cost of the puppy.

Or you can train them ( the dogs not the women) to piss gallons outside that police station whose officers let the dog boil to death in a car (on a hot day of course, while they are drinking tea inside and letting other dogs boil to death in other cars).

Anyways to answer the thread starters question, just look like a dangerous loser weirdo type and no one will be offended

My dog pees on command. If I want him to pee over a sewer grate, he does. That’s a rare event, though. Most of the time he gets to pee behind a shrubbery. He much prefers grass or dirt to concrete for these events.

Tea with pee flavor? Thanks, but no thanks.

[quote=“Maoman”]
My dog pees on command. If I want him to pee over a sewer grate, he does. That’s a rare event, though. Most of the time he gets to pee behind a shrubbery. He much prefers grass or dirt to concrete for these events.[/quote]
Sit.
Roll.
Pee.
Oh shit.
No, Gustav, I didn’t mean you should … nevermind.

In 2006 I had the same trouble with cleaners in a park in Kaohsiung. One in particular was extremely aggressive.

After a while I had enough and with the help of my husband I wrote to the mayor’s office (via their website), and asked about any ‘dog rules’.

They responded quickly and advised me that there is no law in Kaohsiung prohibiting dogs, but that there is a law about cleaning up the poop (which I ALWAYS did).

I then took photos of all the “No dog” signs, and sent a complaint.

The mayor’s office replied quickly, again saying that there is no law in Kaohsiung prohibiting dogs, but that there is a law about cleaning up the poop.

I continued to go to the park with these letters in my pocket, but the cleaners had no interest in looking at them and I continued to get harassed. The head cleaner even went to my school to harass me, although he did not get very far because the receptionist (who knew what was happening) did not buzz him in and started shouting at him in Taiwanese, so he never came back.

So,I filed a third complaint. This complaint was directly about the cleaners putting up illegal signs and their harassment of me.

I received a reply stating that the cleaners were wrong and that they would talk to them

After this, most harassment stopped and when they saw me in the park they would simply turn their back to me.

However, the head cleaner who caused most of the trouble would not give up completely. He would simply glare at me and raise his finger as if giving me a warning.

So, I filed a fourth complaint, about the head cleaner, and I helped identify him by sending in a photo.

I received another reply, saying that they would re-educate this head cleaner.

After this ALL harassment stopped. Every time I came near the head cleaner (yes, I was being provocative by that stage), he would turn around and walk away (probably fuming inside and wishing me all sorts of injuries).

Absolute heaven for 5 months, and then we moved to Keelung.

I strongly advise people to use the systems that are in place to protect their rights. In my case it worked VERY well. The entire process took 6 weeks.

Edited for clarity and updating images.

Wow! That’s very good to know. It seems many of us may have been going about things the wrong way in the belief that going through the proper channels will achieve nothing, but you did exactly as you should have done and it does work.

In 2006 I had the same trouble with cleaners in a park in Kaohsiung. One in particular was extremely aggressive.

After a while I had enough and with the help of my husband filed a complaint to the mayor’s office (via their website).

They responded quickly and advised me that there is no law in Kaohsiung prohibiting dogs, but that there is a law about cleaning up the poop (which I always did).

I then took photos of all the “No dog” signs, and send a second complaint. The mayor’s office replied quickly, again saying that there is no law in Kaohsiung prohibiting dogs, but that there is a law about cleaning up the poop.

I continued to go to the park with these letters in my pocket, but the cleaners had no interest in looking at them and I continued to get harassed. The head cleaner even went to my school to harass me, although he did not get very far because the receptionist (who knew what was happening) did not buzz him in and started shouting at him in Taiwanese, so he never came back.

So,I filed a third complaint. This complaint was directly about the cleaners putting up illegal signs and their harassment of me.

I received a reply stating that the cleaners were wrong and that they would talk to them

After this, most harassment stopped and when they saw me in the park they would simply turn their back to me.

However, the head cleaner who caused most of the trouble would not give up completely. He would simply glare at me and raise his fingers as if giving me a warning.

So, I filed a fourth complaint, about the head cleaner, and I helped them identify him by sending in a photo of him.

I received another reply, saying that they would re-educate this head cleaner.

After this ALL harassment stopped. Every time I came near the head cleaner (yes, I was being provocative by that stage), he would turn around and walk away (probably fuming inside and wishing me all sorts of injuries).

Absolute heaven for 5 months, and then we moved to Keelung (Jilong).

I strongly advise people to use the systems that are in place to protect their rights. In my case it worked VERY well. The entire process took 6 weeks.[/quote]
Now that is interesting. There are signs up around the parks here in Tu Chen county saying “No Dogs”. However I noticed the signs had been crossed out with spray paint (just the no dogs part). I asked a dog walker if dogs were allowed? They said “yes, the signs are not official”.

I thought he was talking out his behind, now I know he was probably correct. I never thought that Taiwanese cleaners would have the creative ability to put up fake signs, but it seems they do. Wow Taiwanese can be creative when the want too! Who says Taiwanese have no creative thinking, there is no way British cleaners would think of that!

Interesting post!

A lot of those signs also say “No clothes” too. :laughing: They mean, no hanging of laundry, but don’t let that stop you.

May flowers bring golden showers… :whistle: :whistle:

well that was an amazing story !!! but i have one question, all those letters, were all of them in English or Chinese?
and as for the one that started the topic, are you a girl or a guy? if a guy… just ignore them, if a girl then call the police and tell them that they did something to you bcz your dog pees on the street… some kind of sick harassment, it might even go on national TV !!!

The impression I get from my neighbors is that they wouldn’t be satisfied unless my dog peed in my house. They don’t want dogs to pee anywhere in the community. I overhear them crab about it all the time. I just don’t care anymore. I walk my dog outside the community, but if she does her business inside the gates, well so be it. I pick up her poo either way.

About a little pee getting on a motorcycle tire, get serious? Can it be any worse than the oil slicks on the roads and in the garages? At least it will evaporate. :moped:

Don’t bother me none. My cat pisses on my motorcycle seat on a regular basis. Bothers the bloke in the story though, which is what’s important. Your dog does something like that right in front of the bike’s owner and you don’t even say sorry or shit, let alone offer to rinse it off? Downright bloody rude if you ask me.
Plus, the locals seem to really hate it – I never saw those bits of plywood covering car wheel arches to keep dogs from pissing on the tyres until I lived here.

I get that it’s sucks to get pee on your tire. And for the record I did apologize, not that that did much good, and frankly neither would offering to wash it off, considering how the Taiwanese love to hold a grudge. But that’s not the point.

What’s frustrating in this kind of situation is being stigmatized simply because you own a dog. I honestly believe that I am a responsible dog owner, I clean up after my dog’s even though not many others do, and I generally keep out of people’s way. But, the truth is, you’re not welcome anywhere by anybody here, and even worse, nobody bothers to tell you what the law is on dog walking and waste, less make it available to you. They just tell you that they’re gonna call the cops on you. And I hardly think calling my dog’s piss an environmental hazard is fair considering all the other problems in this country, say oil slicks, ballooning exhaust fumes, and the bad parking and driving habits, from speeding down sidewalks, cutting pedestrians off, or pushing directly into my dog with your scooter because parking is more important and urgent than watching out for the person or animal 2 inches in front of you. Frankly, human beings and their scooters are more an environmental hazard than my dog peeing on the street.
/rant

Anyway, I’m trying to avoid anger and whininess, but instead be more proactive. Aside from the abbreviated messages crying ignorance and rudeness, does anyone have any useful information or productive to offer, such what the laws are with dog walking and waste?

jands, would you by any chance remember what website it was that you and your husband looked at, and how you inquired about certain laws. I found your story and information really
helpful, as I’ve been meaning to do something similar. Did you do this all in Chinese or English?

Is the area they’re complaining about lined with a red curb?

If so, report it to the police repeatedly when you see scooters parked in the no-park zone so the police come to ticket them. After they get a few illegal parking tickets they should choose to shut up rather than have the police ticket them or tow their scooters each day.

There’s no law governing dog pee, only poo. But there are laws that punish illegal parking.