Where to buy a good breed Corgi in Taipei area

Hi!
I would like to buy a Corgi in Taipei area. I saw many puppy stores, but I’m really concerned about the breeding. I’d like to get one from a good breed, although I’m not sure where could I find it.
How hard is it to get a dog-passport? We would travel out of the country couple times.

Maybe you could try to find one for adoption first, they could be out there.

It’s like you said, finding a good breeder in Taiwan. Not from a puppy mill.

Getting the dog out is not the problem, getting him back in will be.

How to get one of the official dog-passport is beyond me, my dogs have all a passport issued by the vet.

2 Likes

Would there be a Corgi for adaption? That would be amazing!

There are people on the board here that have close ties to animal shelters, try that.

The Pack Sanctuary on FB

2 Likes

Adopt, don’t buy!

@Icon is our resident furry friend lover/cat lady/dog whisperer

3 Likes

And here comes Auntie Peng with the otehr side of the coin:

Please do not buy. The corgis at the shelters have been vaccinated, checked, socialized, groomed and trained so they can make a wonderful addition to your home. Breeders mostly care about business and profit, won’t give you certificates, do not vaccinate, and the pet has not been socialized.

We will only make sure that the dog’s temperament matches yours. Why? For example, a strong willed Akita will be a tyrant of your home and a real problem for all if you are not strong too. Just last night I witnessed an owner who has to walk his Akita with two leashes, has his hands and arms covered in bandages and stitches because the dog bites him and all the family too, has food and territorial issues that scare the bravest of vets, etc… a disaster. Very cute dog, sweetest smile…not suitable.

Please also remember that the diog is a long term commitment. Please check on regulations regarding dog travel. It is not easy as stated. taiwan used to be rabies free and now they are fighting teeth and nail to go back to that status. Hence, pets require long, strict quarantine. However, conditions at quarantine are not ideal. Many pets die there. Recently we had a diplomat lose his two puppies due to quarantine here.

And talking aboyt losing, air travel is quite stressful … and dangerous. The Taoyuan airport has a bad reputation for handling cages, pets have died and gotten lost because of this. Two cases recently were awful. I wouldn’t dare to take a pet abroad unless it was permanent. In and out seems like playing Russian rulette to me.

OTOH, there are great boarding facilities available as pet hotels. However, being far from you is also stressful for your pet, no matter the luxurious accomodations.

Please do consider these factors pertaining to your lifestyle and taking care of a being that depends of you for 18 years.

8 Likes

What makes a corgi good breed va bad? And what is a corgi? It’s all made up stuff people did to amuse themselves from the idea of eugenics. Really fucked up stuff if you look up the history of dog breeding. Go to a shelter and find a good dog that will be loyal you and stop with the breed bs that keeps puppy mills in business. You know they chop off “corgis” tails if it’s too long amongst other inhumane things dog breeders do to make them fit what we made up as what corgis or any breed of dogs should look like.

Think again when you look for good or pure breed dogs. Like the others say. Go to the shelter, adopt and the dog will love you forever for adopting it and giving them a loving home.

3 Likes

i have nothing to add really. just echoing what others have said. don’t buy here, adopt. or find a dog off the streets for free. also pure breeds can be less healthy. take a look at the dog situation in taiwan before you get one. its truly a shambles.

Thank you for your warning! I did not know that traveling with animals is such a bad risk here. I will read up more on that before considering to get a dog from a shelter.
From my previous experiences, breeders cared the most about the dog’s health and certificates. Although, I can see that it could be not the case here.

Yeah, sure, to get the most of money out of it. Puppies that don’t get sold await a dark future.

Respected breeders in the west that want to uphold the pedigree take good care of their puppies, all puppies they get are already sold probably in advance.

You said it right, in the West they have regulations for that. Unfortunately, most people buy and sell puppies with less paperwork than handbags. And with the same duration as a counterfit GG. Lots of inbreeding. But for me, a citizen from the 4th world, I find it ridiculou that they sell babies without teeth, no vaccinations, etc. And as a former airline worker, traveling out of Taiwan on a commercial airline with your pets scares the bejeezus outta me.

1 Like