Where will you be watching the World Cup + England shirts?

Slightly different from the TV thread. Where will you be watching, and why? The more people in one place the better, right? Plus, where can I get an England shirt?

[quote=“Icon”]Big opening will be shown at what used to be Warner Village -it is nicer in breeze Center though.

[quote]Local football fans will be able to see the World Cup opening match live and in high definition (HD) at the Vieshow Cinema Square June 11, a telecommunications company said Monday at a press briefing to promote the broadcast. "To meet the growing need for diverse televised sports, we now broadcast many popular sports events, " said Lu Shyue-ching, CEO of Zhonghua Telecom Co., Ltd., the largest integrated telecom service provider in Taiwan.

"The most spectacular games will be broadcast in public in Taipei, " said Lu. He was referring to the opening match between Mexico and South Africa and the semifinals scheduled for July 2 and July 3. Subscribers to MOD will be able to see all the televised matches.[/quote]
From CNA[/quote]

Big open air public space sounds good for the opener. What exactly do Warner and Breeze offer? For England games, I’m erring towards On-Tap because it’s English and more intimate. Tavern is too visually ‘noisy’. I think it’s best if everyone’s looking in the same direction at the same screen. I remember last time Carnegies had one of the biggest screens, though it’s not a natural viewing arena.

Size, atmosphere, crowd, screen, type of beer and food available are all factors.

For less significant games, anywhere with beer and some interested people will do. Or possibly MOD.

Good call, I too will be at On Tap when in town for it, hope to see you there, man! Though I may skulk over to the monkey for a game if On Tap gets too packed (they claim to be open for all games)…

Anyone else got advice? I generally lean away from the Tavern, but that’s just me :wink:

Breeze used to put a big screeen outside and fgathered quite a crowd. It’s got some platforms there, so you can sit moer or less confortably. I wonder how confortable it will be at Warner, though.

No plans yet, as Saturday must be up and about early. :frowning:

[quote=“TwoTongues”]Good call, I too will be at On Tap when in town for it, hope to see you there, man! Though I may skulk over to the monkey for a game if On Tap gets too packed (they claim to be open for all games)…

Anyone else got advice? I generally lean away from the Tavern, but that’s just me :wink:[/quote]
I’ll try to watch a few down at Huashan Alleycats if I can.

I’ll be in a quiet, ill-lit place far from the maddening crowd.

On Tap - small, crowded but English and good people/ community.
Brass Monkey - big, spacious, big visible screen (but haven’t been there regularly in years).
Tavern - well you are guaranteed to see a screen. But the owner’s reputation precedes him… It’s crowded and awkward to get around. Full of Taiwanese “football fans” in Man U shirts, who are considering changing their allegience next season if their team doesn’t do well. My friend says the garden is good but other than that… I’m not feeling it.
I might go to the Voice for less important games - but not for the screen size!
Maybe even My Place, for old times’ sake.
Maybe even JB’s, for the warm welcome from the 100% genuine English style publican. And good food. Only problem is there’ll be no one else there!

Taipei Artists’ Village is where I’ll be, now they’ve got a big screen and more space. Add in the gobshite behind the bar, the (mostly) decent patrons and Warsteiner on tap, and it’ll do the job nicely. On Tap is a good second choice, but it’s a bit more out of the way for me.

Ze Germans (at least our small group of crazy and silly guys) plus probably some TWese will go to Brass Monkey, at least for the first games.

One of that group doesn’t like the Tavern, so probably not going to end up there.

On Tap sounds like a good idea, maybe we will try that as well.

Artist’s Village seems very nice, too (especially the König Ludwig Dunkel beer) - but reportedly lots of mosquitoes in the outside seating…

Probably some “lesser” games also at home, via projector and BBC + VPNUK

Only thing I don’t like about the Artist Village is the mosquitoes - I got eaten alive last time I was there. But definitely a decent place, especially if they got a big screen for it, and Niall seems all right. And Alleycats is a short walk away…

Anyone in Tian Mu can make a recommendation? May be visiting a bud up there during the games…

edit: scheisse, olm, you beat me to it by that much

On tap is a great place to watch the footie but for the england games it’s gonna be packed! Plan B sounds like the village or the heineken bar on the corner of guan fu and ren ai (if it’s still open). They have a big screen outside if i remember correctly (but no english commentary).

An Englishman (from Birmingham) is really getting into it by laying turf in his living room! I wonder what his wife thinks. Or maybe he’s single!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/england/birmingham/10270257.stm

In my living room!

[quote=“fruitloop”]An Englishman (from Birmingham) is really getting into it by laying turf in his living room! I wonder what his wife thinks. Or maybe he’s single!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/england/birmingham/10270257.stm[/quote]

He said he wanted to lay something in his living room and turf was the best he could do :wink:

Can I also say that everyone bashing the owner of the Tavern should remember that a) he is a Forumosan and b) he is a human being. Whether you like the guy or not, or your friends like him or not simple courtesy ought to preclude you from saying so quite so openly infront of him - no?

Yep, received a couple of emails telling of several groups of fans who will meet at Huashan -Artist Village. As long as it doesn’t rain, seems quite fine to me -open space, big crowd. Lots of feeling. :wink:

Yep, received a couple of emails telling of several groups of fans who will meet at Huashan -Artist Village. As long as it doesn’t rain, seems quite fine to me -open space, big crowd. Lots of feeling. :wink:[/quote]
Oh ok, we’re talking about two different places. Taipei Artists’ Village is at 7 Beiping East Road, separate from Huashan. It’s indoors (although there is a garden there too) so it won’t be weather/mosquito dependent.

Times I’ve been there, I recall Niall keeping those full-height full-wall doors open to the garden, wherein lie the hordes of insect messerschmidts…

Thanks for the clarification. :smiley:

So, Huashan will have it and The Artist Village, too. More venues, more choices.

Yeah, I believe they try and keep them closed now, but the little buggers do slip in. For the World Cup though they’re using the space next door with a big screen - not sure if that will be more enclosed than the bar.

Is anyone planning to watch any at Eddy’s in Danshui?

I’d put b) before a).

The worst anyone’s said is “the owner’s reputation precedes him” and “one of that group doesn’t like the Tavern barkeeper”. Both are statements of fact not opinion and fair reasons to decide where to go. I’ve heard similar things from others on other occasions. No one used any derogatory words, or said anything personal.

It’s all lost in the mists of time, maybe unfair hearsay, but I vaguely remember some behaviour on his part which wasn’t really treating other human beings with the courtesy they deserved. I think it’s reasonable to have opinions and so long as they’re expressed politely, which they have been, to express them publicly. So long as people rise above the level of abuse on many websites, it’s better in public - more considered and fair. The important point is people’s past does not preclude them from any particular action in the future. So look to the future and don’t write anyone off.

A friend of mine is more keen on the Tavern and wants to see some of the games there, so I wish the Tavern well and hope to see the owner in good cheer. My main reason for not being keen on it is the “visual noise” - so many TV screens reducing the common experience of all watching together on the same screen. I like the idea of a single crowd, particularly one where a lot of people know each other.

Anyway, some of my favourite people are miserable sods - I’m English!