Who do I see if I'm balding?

I don’t know if I’m actually thinning. I guess I wasn’t clear. I’m not all roided up, I’m not that big lol. I’m just wondering who I can see to tell me if I’m actually losing hair or it’s just completely in my head.

Im just asking if for example a dermatologist can tell me or is there like a special doctor I see.

This is just something I had a fear of since like 18. Unfortunately, it seems like many of my white friends began to have reseeding hairline or thinning hair from even 17-18. I’ve never had any signs I’m losing hair but ever since I got my hair buzzed in the army, i see a lot of my scalp. But maybe that’s normal when your hair in so short I can’t even grab it right now.

Yes. However, it’s not easy finding a dermatologist who is willing to spend the time and bust out the instruments to look at your scalp.

There are also plenty of reasons for hair-loss. If it isn’t hormone related, like an infection, usually a doctor can help rather quickly.

Even with male pattern baldness, catching it early means you can do something to maintain the length of your hair follicles’ current anagen phase before they become miniaturized.

If it’s male pattern baldness, the process is irreversible, so the earlier you do something about it, the less bald you end up looking.

If you visually can’t tell whether or not you’re balding, why obsess about it so much?Everyone, even women, thin a bit in their 30s and on, but that’s not the same as full-fledged balding. When you’re balding, you usually know because even if you’re in denial your friends will be the first to call you out on it. I got a bit of a recession in my hairline when I was in my late 20s, but it mercifully stopped before my peninsula could become an island. It hasn’t really gotten worse since then.

It’s normal to be able to see your scalp if you have a buzzcut. It doesn’t mean you’re balding.

You’re the Taiwanese Moses. Now you must lead your people to the promised land away from the Egyptians (ChiComms).

1 Like

Because I’m a shallow person that really cares about my looks.

MPB is X-linked. If your mother’s father had it(50% chance passed to you) and/or your mother’s mother’s father had it (25% chance), that could add up to 75% chance that you’ve got MPB (if it’s MPB, and if you’re actually balding). MPB does not come from your dad at all.

I just consulted with Jean Luc Picard and Larry David and they told me that you are not a member of the bald community and that this entire conversation is comparable to a Gweneth Paltrow N word tweet. :slight_smile:

False alarm, you OP is not actually going bald. Meanwhile, …

[quote=“Andrew0409, post:1, topic:161277, full:true”]
I have a huge fear of balding and losing my hair. I look at my hair way to much and freak out if hair falls out… Do I see a dermatologist to confirm?[/quote]

Re: Who do I see?

Based on the information provided, I would recommend a psychiatrist. Just kidding.

I’ve been balding for years, but it’s been pretty stable the past few years, maybe even reversed a bit. There’s no silver bullet, but I only shampoo once in a while, with argan oil, and use an essential oil rub. Before I go to bed, I rub a mixture of coconut oil, rosemary essential oil, and peppermint oil over the thinning spots.

My girlfriend often comments with enthusiasm how I have more hair now vs. 4 months ago when I started this treatment. It could all be my imagination, but there’s at least some studies which help justify it, and the cost of all the products is next to nothing over the long run.

Rosemary oil for hair regrowth: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25842469
Peppermint oil for hair regrowth: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4289931/

Note the second study was done on animals, not people. But a lot of the skin/hair health mechanisms should be similar in mammals. I’ve got nothing for coconut oil, but include it on the chance that the oil helps the skin absorb the other ingredients better. Coconut oil is a natural moisturizer.

My hair started receding in my early 20s…hated it! Although I tried to deny/hide it, as DrewCutz mentioned it was my friends who knew what was up. Based on what the OP has said, I think it’s just anxiety from the buzz cut. But seeing a dermatologist couldn’t hurt and will likely calm your fears.

In my 30s the hair on the crown of my head started thinning…hated it! I was terrified of looking like a monk or Ben Franklin. However, products to control male pattern baldness were new and very expensive back then, so my bald spot grew. The OP is fortunate to have a variety of products available if in fact he develops MPB.

In my 40s I gave up and started buzzing my hair super short. I grew a goatee, to compensate I guess, but the shaved head and facial hair looked much better than trying to hide the inevitable. Plus, I was becoming an “old dude” by that time so I relied less on my looks and more on my charming personality :smile:

Now, in my 50s, my theme song is…

https://youtu.be/L0MK7qz13bU

A guys hair will match roughly maternal uncle’s hair. You will lose hair the way they do.

Wait, what?

Really bad? Come on. No-one ever suffers side effects from that stuff, right? :slightly_smiling_face:

Try Pirelli’s Miracle Elixir:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWtWsLi5Tl8

1 Like

So no one is sure which kind of doctor specializes in hair and scalp?

Dermatology. There is a “famous” clinic in Hsimenting with ads for that problem. As always caveat emptor.

Japanese horse oil.

Saw this at Adventist Hospital.

1 Like

Fuck’s sake, its a fucking trichologist. Not that you’ll find one in Taiwan.

Oh, I see, horse lard. The things I still don’t know… :idunno: