Who has the right to formally declare Taiwan as a new independent nation?

[quote=“sofun”][quote=“Taiwanguy”]Welcome to sofun’s magic wonderland.

Metropolitan states? A 6-member confederacy on an island half the size of West Virginia? You really come up with some whoppers…[/quote]
Yeah I thought that’s about the best you could ever do.[/quote]

Best I could do? Why would I waste my time refuting hair-brained conspiracy junk? Most of your “proposals” or “theories” have about as much plausibility as alien abductions.

Where is any of this on the Internet?

[quote=“Dirt”]

[quote=“Gain”]
If self-determination can make Taiwan “formally independent”, then Taiwan has already achieved the goal. Every single election held since 1996 is an act of self-determination.[/quote]
:bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:[/quote]

Yes, applaud that Lee Teng-hui made that possible, it was indeed very commendable, as LTH pretty much gambled his life through every step of the way to get KMT to embrace democracy.

Where is any of this on the Internet?[/quote]

You’ll find them if you’re really interested and committed to doing homework.

Details are ignored by most people because consumers of news prefer inconsequential squabbles over “big pictures.” I can’t say that those people above are coalescing on some collaborative project. People can be likeminded and similar ideas can happen organically. “Movement” is the right word. This one is more like an undercurrent.

That’s not really an answer. I looked for a bunch of different terms with each of these figures, mostly Ko because his news is more recent, and couldn’t find anything about fedarilism or advocating several different countries on Taiwan. There is nothing in any of the Chinese wikipedia pages of Taiwan’s status, history, or political divisions – and all of these are otherwise very detailed – leading me to believe this advocacy of federalism (confederalism?) is just your personal interpretation.

That’s not really an answer. I looked for a bunch of different terms with each of these figures, mostly Ko because his news is more recent, and couldn’t find anything about fedarilism or advocating several different countries on Taiwan. There is nothing in any of the Chinese wikipedia pages of Taiwan’s status, history, or political divisions – and all of these are otherwise very detailed – leading me to believe this advocacy of federalism (confederalism?) is just your personal interpretation.[/quote]

I already PM-ed you the respective links you want for the each of the items You don’t have to interpret them individually as “advocating federalism,” because you will have plenty of chances in the future to look at them that way in retrospect.

You might want to propose to split this thread because not everyone is interested exploring in detail my comments. I brought it up because federalism happens not because somebody orders it from a menu, but because of circumstances, needs, and experimentation. Yes, just like Canada, and just like how Canada never really declared independence. There was an instance where that was an option, but they didn’t have to.

That’s not really an answer. I looked for a bunch of different terms with each of these figures, mostly Ko because his news is more recent, and couldn’t find anything about fedarilism or advocating several different countries on Taiwan. There is nothing in any of the Chinese wikipedia pages of Taiwan’s status, history, or political divisions – and all of these are otherwise very detailed – leading me to believe this advocacy of federalism (confederalism?) is just your personal interpretation.[/quote]

I already PM-ed you the respective links you want for the each of the items You don’t have to interpret them individually as “advocating federalism,” because you will have plenty of chances in the future to look at them that way in retrospect.

You might want to propose to split this thread because not everyone is interested exploring in detail my comments. I brought it up because federalism happens not because somebody orders it from a menu, but because of circumstances, needs, and experimentation. Yes, just like Canada, and just like how Canada never really declared independence. There was an instance where that was an option, but they didn’t have to.[/quote]

What is with you and keeping sources secret? Put your stuff out there. Let us judge if it’s valuable info or not.

I have shown myself more than willing to adjust my views when shown information that suggests I’m wrong. Your mightier than thou BS is extremely off-putting. Debating you usually ends up with you spitting out a bunch of theories that are WELL outside of the mainstream and then when you are asked to back them up, you tend to result to “If you were smart enough, you could find this stuff yourself.” There are several people on this board with opinions that I tend to disagree with (Hansioux, Mucha, Gain, etc.) that are SOOOOOOOO much more convincing because they tend not to insult the intelligence of those they disagree with.

Can you back up the nonsensical 6-state Metropolitan Confederacy proposal? Can you show me that this is actually some REAL plan for Taiwan’s future? Or are you also into unsubstantiated conspiracy theories and insulting people for not giving said theories undeserved respect?

[quote=“Taiwanguy”]

Can you back up the nonsensical 6-state Metropolitan Confederacy proposal? Can you show me that this is actually some REAL plan for Taiwan’s future? Or are you also into unsubstantiated conspiracy theories and insulting people for not giving said theories undeserved respect?[/quote]
Didn’t you initially bring up the size of West Virigina? Stick to it if that’s a good point. I’m not wasting any of my time on a conversation which I already concluded with Hok. He and I were not in an argument and neither of us wanted to continue, as far as I can tell. Just exchanging views that’s all.

Why don’t you stick with your own posts/comments/ideas/observations, whatever is relevant to the topic of the thread, for once?

[quote=“sofun”][quote=“Taiwanguy”][quote=“jamezku”][quote=“sofun”][quote=“Taiwanguy”]Welcome to sofun’s magic wonderland.

Metropolitan states? A 6-member confederacy on an island half the size of West Virginia? You really come up with some whoppers…[/quote]
Yeah I thought that’s about the best you could ever do, given your IQ.[/quote]

OMG, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMrPjl-927Q

:roflmao:

Smoked :-)[/quote]

Can you back up the nonsensical 6-state Metropolitan Confederacy proposal? Can you show me that this is actually some REAL plan for Taiwan’s future? Or are you also into unsubstantiated conspiracy theories and insulting people for not giving said theories undeserved respect?[/quote]
Didn’t you initially bring up the size of West Virigina? Stick to it if that’s a good point. I’m not wasting any of my time on a conversation which I already concluded with Hok. He and I were not in an argument and neither of us wanted to continue, as far as I can tell. Just exchanging views that’s all.

Why don’t you stick with your own posts/comments/ideas/observations, whatever is relevant to the topic of the thread, for once?[/quote]

Okay…fine.

Hey Hok, did Sofun give you some evidence of the reality of this supposed 6-state Confederacy that Taiwan is supposedly “in the middle of reconfiguring into”? Can I see it? I would like to know if this is truly the direction that the country I will likely spend the rest of my life in is going…

Posters will be kindly reminded to please be civil and address the post, and not the poster.
Several posts have been flamed or pruned to remove personal insults.

[quote=“hansioux”][quote=“Dirt”]

[quote=“Gain”]
If self-determination can make Taiwan “formally independent”, then Taiwan has already achieved the goal. Every single election held since 1996 is an act of self-determination.[/quote]

Yes, applaud that Lee Teng-hui made that possible, it was indeed very commendable, as LTH pretty much gambled his life through every step of the way to get KMT to embrace democracy.[/quote]

I also applaud the Republic of China which made Lee Teng-hui’s rise to the presidency possible.

[quote=“Dirt”][quote=“hansioux”][quote=“Dirt”]

[quote=“Gain”]

Yes, applaud that Lee Teng-hui made that possible, it was indeed very commendable, as LTH pretty much gambled his life through every step of the way to get KMT to embrace democracy.[/quote]

I also applaud the Republic of China which made Lee Teng-hui’s rise to the presidency possible.[/quote]

Haha, I don’t know how he graduated from Cornell, and also how President Ma got his diploma from Harvard :roflmao:

I think a Republic of China and a Taiwan can co-exist inter-twined. It is possible to be both a Chinese [national of the Republic of China] and a Taiwanese [citizen].

Simple laws are often better than heavily modified ones. Normal people may read a short, straight to the point constitution, but almost no one would willingly pick up a constitution that weighs like a brick to see what the country is supposed to be like.