Why are county heads called "magistrates"?

The word ‘magistrate’ refers to judges who hears cases in courts. Meaning the judicial branch of government. County leaders in Taiwan clearly do not fit such a description. So why are they called ‘magistrates’?

In ancient Rome, the word magistratus referred to one of the highest offices of state, and analogous offices in the local authorities such as municipium, were subordinate only to the legislature of which they generally were members. ex officio, often a combination of judicial and executive power, constituting one jurisdiction.

Personally, I think it’s a bad translation that stuck. I can’t say for the entire English-speaking world, but in the USA the head of a county government is usually called the “county executive.”

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/County_executive

Not every state in the USA has such a position. Counties may be governed by a team of “county commissioners” with no actual leader, or else the leader of the county commission is designated the “chairperson” (used to be “chairman” but that’s no longer politically correct). In some counties, there is only one member of the county commission, which makes it easy to know who the leader is.

Taiwan’s political map is rather confusing, since it’s officially designated a “province” of the ROC rather than country, so a “county” is equivalent to what would be a “state” or “province” elsewhere, and a “magistrate” is more like a “governor.” Taiwan used to have a governor (that was James Soong, long ago) but that position has been eliminated along with the Taiwan Provincial government.

So yes, it’s messy. And when the DPP gets through renaming everything, who knows what it’s going to be. But anyway, I agree that the term “magistrate” seems to be misapplied in Taiwan.

For the same reason that county heads in Los Angeles County are called County Supervisors. They just are.

In Spanish we are translating this as “mayor”. As said, since Taiwan is a “province”, that makes the labeling of officials a bit complicated.

It’s an inappropriate translation that is used far less these days than it was in the past, but really shouldn’t be used at all.

Some years ago, I was a member of a central government committee that was charged with setting appropriate translations for various government titles and entities. This one was a particular cause of consternation, because different city and county heads were using all manner of inconsistent English translations for their title, causing foreigners and foreign governments to be confused about their status when they traveled abroad or otherwise had official dealings with foreigners. Some of the local government heads referred to themselves as “governor” on their namecards and in official documents, with others calling themselves “county commissioner,” “county magistrate” or “county chief”, while 市長 (whether the heads of special municipalities or of ordinary cities) were usually happy to be known as “mayor”.

I suggested that, since city and county heads were essentially equal in status, and the title of “mayor’ was well established, well accepted, and highly appropriate for市長, all of the elected heads of local governments should be formally referred to as “mayor”, and could be informally referred to as “chief” or “head”. Although many dictionaries define “mayor” too narrowly as the head of the government of a city or town, there are plenty of examples of “county mayor” in English-speaking countries, including the US and Ireland. This suggestion was approved and adopted by the committee. However, the central government could only suggest this to the persons concerned, and could not dictate to them how they referred to themselves, so some county heads still continue to use whatever other titles they prefer. And in my most recent meeting with a county chief, I noted with some wryness that his namecard still bore the title “Magistrate”.

A most tautological answer you have given.

A most tautological answer you have given.[/quote]

It’s an arbitrary question.

[quote=“Omniloquacious”]It’s an inappropriate translation that is used far less these days than it was in the past, but really shouldn’t be used at all.

Some years ago, I was a member of a central government committee that was charged with setting appropriate translations for various government titles and entities. This one was a particular cause of consternation, because different city and county heads were using all manner of inconsistent English translations for their title, causing foreigners and foreign governments to be confused about their status when they traveled abroad or otherwise had official dealings with foreigners. Some of the local government heads referred to themselves as “governor” on their namecards and in official documents, with others calling themselves “county commissioner,” “county magistrate” or “county chief”, while 市長 (whether the heads of special municipalities or of ordinary cities) were usually happy to be known as “mayor”.

I suggested that, since city and county heads were essentially equal in status, and the title of “mayor’ was well established, well accepted, and highly appropriate for市長, all of the elected heads of local governments should be formally referred to as “mayor”, and could be informally referred to as “chief” or “head”. Although many dictionaries define “mayor” too narrowly as the head of the government of a city or town, there are plenty of examples of “county mayor” in English-speaking countries, including the US and Ireland. This suggestion was approved and adopted by the committee. However, the central government could only suggest this to the persons concerned, and could not dictate to them how they referred to themselves, so some county heads still continue to use whatever other titles they prefer. And in my most recent meeting with a county chief, I noted with some wryness that his namecard still bore the title “Magistrate”.[/quote]
Hmm…

A: Print up some English name cards for me. Make them look good.
B: Uh, there’s one problem with that. You see, there’s more than one way to translate your job title.
A: Just use the one that sounds best.
B: But that word would make you sound somewhat powerful.
A: Your point being?!?
B: Uh, nothing. I’ll get started right away! Sir! :notworthy:

[quote]I suggested that, since city and county heads were essentially equal in status, and the title of “mayor’ was well established, well accepted, and highly appropriate for市長, all of the elected heads of local governments should be formally referred to as “mayor”, and could be informally referred to as “chief” or “head”. . . . This suggestion was approved and adopted by the committee. However, the central government could only suggest this to the persons concerned, and could not dictate to them how they referred to themselves, so some county heads still continue to use whatever other titles they prefer.
[/quote]

The money quote. At times, our government leaders (among others) act more like wild men occupying a National Wildlife Refuge than elected officials supported by public funds. Consider me unimpressed. :thumbsdown:

Guy

I wonder if it actually comes from older German terminology , where it was used in the same sense - at least, so my 30-second Google search tells me, e.g.

“The Burgermeister, Germany’s Chief Municipal Magistrate”
American Political Science Review, vol 2, May 1908.
journals.cambridge.org/action/di … 5400003257

官府