Why are voice call costs relatively high in Taiwan?

A Chungwa/Taiwan mobile/Far East One prepaid card will charge 0.09 to 0.1 TWD/second for voice call (intra-network).

Two of the above networks use VOLTE.

According to this list cheapest prepaid card in US costs 2.5 USD / 40 minute = 0.03 TWD / second.

In India, there are VOLTE networks that get you 0.003 TWD / second voice calling rates.

Why does Taiwan have such high voice call costs compared to other countries?

I’m not sure about the exact charges for calling but am also surprised that for prepaid cards it is a little higher. I have a chunghwa prepaid card with 4g internet and try to limit calls when I can, sometimes making a reservation will cost me 10nt for a 2-3 minute phone call.

However, for people with monthly contracts usually they offer free calls intra network and much cheaper calls to landlines and mobiles. It’s just prepaid you have the flexibility if you don’t call you don’t pay.

Laslty comparing with India is a bit skewed as Indian calling costs even on prepaid cards is super cheap. Having lived there for a while I was shocked to find out that it was much cheaper for me to call Europe mobile to mobile than it was using skype credit calling a landline abroad.

Even on monthly contracts the calling costs are quite a bit higher than in the States, but the data is cheaper and has unlimited plans. That’s why most people just use VoIP apps for calling, ie. Line, etc.

Also should note that incoming calls on cell phones are free, unlike the States where both parties are being “charged” for the call via their available minutes.

The per minute rates are high here.

But two of the small carriers, Taiwan star and GT Telecom have a deal where you can call any of the other carriers for $2nt a minute. I have a contract with GT (Ya Tai) offering that, but barely ever use it because of Line calling. I just use it to order a pizza once a week :slight_smile:

And tstar will let you get that deal on prepaid too.

The other big 3 charge way too much

1 Like

I think people just use Line or other VoIP app. Even with businesses where you’d think you’d have to call their landline, they often have Line accounts.

“Lie” is king here.

No one even calls these days.

https://byrslf.co/why-i-don-t-answer-most-phone-calls-4a71e1418854

We get plenty of automated calls! Which is why during election seasons our land line remains unplugged for weeks at a time. I believe my wife’s family are the only “real” people who even know our current land line number.

1 Like

We also do not use the land line. I’ve setup an answering machine that will send me the call recording via email.
Most of the recordings are automatic calls. Some are real people trying to sell stuff and hang up when they realize they called an answering machine.