Why visa applications must be printed using a laser printer?

Please note most visa applications cannot be saved. So must be printed in situ. So they expect everyone to have a laser printer these days?

Oh how much I’d love to be a citizen of ROC. At least I’d be spared this Via Crucis.

Context? Never heard of this, but surely anything now can also be “printed” to a pdf, which you can then take to your local place with a laser printer of choice.

1 Like

Never heard of this, but it might be because inkjet printing tends to degrade/fade somewhat faster than laser printouts. No doubt these things get filed away in a big warehouse somewhere.

Or it could be because some bureaucrat likes making silly rules.

The simple solution (as per feef’s suggestion) would be to take the file to a print shop, or to print your form on your own printer (whatever it is) and then go and photocopy it. Why the visa office can’t do that is a whole different question …

You guys from the first world don’t know this pain. I do not wish it on anyone. Worse than bureaucracy is automatic, computerized bureaucracy.

Ehem, as I said, if the forms were salvageable, I would do that. Take it to a printer. Got a great one just 5 minutes away. Great job with scanning my passport and ID. I’ll figure a way…or but a used, cheap laser printer.

Hereby starts the Getting the Visa Walk of Doom.

Ah, I know how it works. It’s like that in the Philippines. They seem to think the purpose of computer software is to make life very, very complicated.

Some operating systems allow you to “print” to a PDF file. It’s in the printer list. Just select “print to PDF” and press print; it’ll ask you where to save the PDF file.

Do you have any printer at all? Just print at the highest possible quality and then photocopy. A photocopier is a laser printer. The penpushers aren’t going to conduct forensics on it to check that you used the mandated printer … although … come to think of it …

1 Like

Half of the 7-11s have printer / photocopier combos.

For the last time: you can’t save this file. File, print elsewhere, no problem.

Can’t do it at work because of our security system.

Lemme give you another example. Each time you enter the fill up the space area, it generates a certain code, which appears in the bottom and must be filled up at the end. However, this information is NOT in the official instructions, it is VITAL info known only to visa agencies and those in teh known/who have already done it.

What exactly is this mysterious website/bit of software that requires you to print, but doesn’t let you choose a printer? And on what operating system?

1 Like

You don’t save it. You PRINT it to pdf. Then, save the pdf file.

Yeah, I’m a bit confused here too.

You should be able to save it if your OS supports printing to PDF, or if, ahem, you acquire from somewhere a full copy of Adobe Acrobat (which installs a PDF print driver).

This is not the same thing as saving a file. As others have said, the PDF driver looks exactly like a printer. You can then take the file (which the software “thinks” is a printout) to a print shop.

The only way this could not work is if your software somehow prevents you from selecting a printer.

Like others have said, please look up “Print to PDF” for your relevant operating system.

+1 on printing to PDF.

The reason for this stupidity is so that you can’t save the PDF with editable fields. You either have a blank form PDF or a completed, uneditable PDF. Nothing in between. Why? Fuck you that’s why.

1 Like

what he said.

If you can’t save as a PDF, how about a screenshot?

That is also a good option…except for the coded secret number on the bottom.

a7c0f57a6ed87f2787aa8fee278f561c--office-space-quotes-office-spaces

“Because this is a rule. You must follow the rules”.

Printed mine using inkjet before. No questions asked.

1 Like

Now I understand why there are so many visa agencies in Taiwan. Heck if a Taiwanese is going to waste time/neuron power in this nonsense. If I could pay someone to do this, I would. As a matter of fact, for one of the visas I can and I will.

If you can print it to a real printer then you can print it to Print to PDF as your in situ printer. If you really really can’t then there’s no point in buying a secondhand laser printer because that won’t work either. If it does work then so will Print to PDF.
Doesn’t the online visa application portal at https://visawebapp.boca.gov.tw/BOCA_MRVWeb/subroot/MRVWeb0_form.jsp allow you to save and later print out the application form? Problem solved, Print to PDF that way.

Eh it is not the Visa for the ROC. I am not naming names.