Why would you do this?

Walking near central park in Kaohsiung this evening around midnight to find a lone clean cut westerner running around spraying graffiti on several walls and buildings…

Can someone explain to me why you would do this?

Like… This dude is for sure not in some taiwanese gang and his tags are just stupid. Like WTF? Come to another country and trash the place? I wanted to knock this dude out. He did it right in front of me and then took off. :neutral_face::neutral_face::neutral_face:IMG_20180217_235528

I don’t know. Wish western fuckwits would stay in their home country instead of coming here and giving the rest of us a bad name.

You did not get a Picture of the Vandal? Maybe fingerprints from a discarded aerosol? Would be nice to see them get justice. Shame to abuse one of the nice things about Taiwan.

5 Likes

I simple do not understand this mentality. Is none of your business and why to feel responsible for other imigrant action, behaviour.

I am afraid there are some serious issues hidden in this comment

best%20of%20forumosa%2020180218

1 Like

I can’t believe I have to even explain this… if you’re in an Asian country as a white person, and the media starts reporting on a shitty white guy going around and making trouble, then it reinforces poor stereotypes for ALL white people in that country. Then the media smells blood since stories of bad foreigners are catnip, and starts an ongoing narrative on the news with them sensationalizing every bad deed committed by a foreigner. And then things get worse for us. People are less trusting, and more prejudiced. Maybe with a rise in anti-foreigner sentiment, stricter immigration regulations are passed. And so on, and so on.

But beyond all that, it’s just an extremely shitty thing to do.

8 Likes

I do not take this shit, this is what i mean

Sure i understand mob mentality of asians and their race logic. They will find one way or another to gossip and prejudice about waiguerens, no matter what foreigners do. Is about their underconcious feeling of being inferior towards white and lack of self esteem. Many locals have this feeling and this feeling stays no matter what one random waiguren does.

There was a time when i thought a bit, how to adjust and what locals think. When i simple stop giving a shit, i start feeling better. I suggest you, to do the same.

2 Likes

Maybe that’s YOUR outlook on life in Taiwan, but it’s NOT MINE.

Taiwanese are like people from any country; some are open and welcoming, and some are bigoted assholes. And then there’s the mushy middle that can be influenced into either camp depending on their personal experiences and what they see reported on the news. I for one want to leave people with a good impression of my country and culture. So yes, I “give a shit”, but I don’t think that’s a bad thing. If no one here gave a shit about how westerners were perceived in Taiwan, we’d have one toxic and terrible ex-pat community. Instead we have an overall great one (with a few exceptions), because people DO give a shit. It takes a village and all that…

But if you like and are proud of not giving a shit, more power to you I guess.

1 Like

I just don’t get it though. Like half the time people can’t even read these shitty tags in the states let alone in a country where English isn’t even the first language.

Like its not art at this point. It’s not for a gang. This dude looked like he was well into his 20s so it’s not some teenager in the neighborhood lashing out nonsense, this dude clearly came here from the other side of the planet…

I honestly think at this point it’s gotta be some serious mental condition.

1 Like

It looks to me like this tag says, “america”

1 Like

Sigh…

Some folks are desperate for international recognition. My species has also been guilty of this. :frowning_face:

Rigellian%20graffiti

That only a small subculture of connoisseurs and interplanetary linguists can read or appreciate the writing seems to be of little importance to these deviant calligraphers.

6 Likes

The graffiti guy shows contempt for the people here, he deserves scorn. If he was truly an artist, he would know there are allowed, designated graffiti areas. That he prefers to break the law and then probably complain about his liberty to do so is annoying, but more annoying as said is that he will add kindle to the racist fire already burning.

There is resentment here against foreigners. Too many bad experiences, too much misunderstanding, too much bad press as easy scapegoats. People cut us some slack for when we ignorantly step over the rules, or feign ignorance of them. This is different. Graffiti is not allowed in most of the Western world. Here at least there are spaces for street art. I see it like asking someone to follow the rules of driving here, bare minimum, like a local license?

8 Likes

That’s a pretty racist point of view. There are ignorant bigots everywhere, in every country. For racially homogeneous country, Taiwanese people are pretty accepting of foreigners. Myself and many of my other countrymen do not have the views and sentiments you describe. I’m not sure why you got this point of view. But I hope you get a chance to change your mind.

1 Like

After reading this thread I went walking around my neighborhood, in Banqiao District, and I counted, I think, eight to ten instances of graffiti. Around six of the graffiti were on large, closed, metal roll-up-type doors, and I guess at least some of the doors–for all I know, maybe all of them–were in entrances to shops or restaurants or the like.

In one place, I saw quite a large spraying (or smearing, or something applied some other way–I’m not sure) of blue paint fairly high up on the exterior wall of an older concrete building. I’m not a hundred percent sure that it was graffiti, but it certainly didn’t look like it served any purpose.

There was also something that I wasn’t sure was graffiti because it was so faded, and not too large, and because it was partly covered by something–maybe an air-conditioning unit?–or maybe something else.

I’ve lived in this area for some years now, and I guess at first, I must have taken some kind of vague, feeble, passing notice of these things, and then more or less put them out of mind as being just part of the landscape.

Is that sort of thing unusual elsewhere in Taiwan? I mean, outside of Banqiao?

sounds like another logan paul cjride guy.

as for the other discussion about feeling the shared shame of foreigners (or, other grown ass adults making their own choices) i agree. i’m not going to lose any sleep over this. some people here like to slander foreigners, thats not going to change (and it happens in almost every country anyway) no amount of white monkeying and saying I LOVE TAIWAN like this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEuRqOAOuhw is going to change anything (other than losing your dignity.)

just live your life. if confronted by a bigot, don’t say i love taiwan. present them with FACTS.

So why does the media use the term ‘waiguoren’ and why do you have a Taiwanese passport and I don’t?

2 Likes

Is waiguoren considered rude? The children call me it on a daily basis so I always figured it was just a little… Less PC. But not necessarily rude. Am I wrong on this?

It’s illegal to use the term ‘foreigner’ when reporting media incidents in many countries isn’t it? If not illegal it’s at the very least zenophobic. How do your students know you’re a foreigner is it because you’re white?

My buddy Zeno will be very shocked to hear that people have an irrational fear of him. He is pretty deadly in the shootout, but an all-around nice guy. #NOFEAR

1 Like

Problem is when it is plastered all over the news…especially over stuff locals do daily and wouldn’t get a mention on a slow news day. That is the problem.

The other is the propagation of ideas regarding furriners. For example, current local celebrities scandal du jour is a married “mixed” actor who was unfaithful to his wife and confessed on tape. Problem is he allegedly confessed to more affairs than fleas on a stray dog. First comment out of the “commentator” `s mouth was: gee, meiguoren are so open minded. Sigh.

2 Likes