Yoga for injuries

hi,
i love sports anmd as a result me bods a bit bashed up so i have found out i have arthritis in my shoulder from too many AC injuries .
i want to try yoga to help keep it working. does anyone know of a good yoga class/teacher around . cheers

There have been other posts int he past about Yoga, but so far I have never seen a recommendation for a class/teacher in Chinese or English. My wife wants to do Yoga classes (in Taipei) too. Come on there must be someone here who does yoga, or knows a teacher.

Brian

I know where to practice yoga.

anandamarga.org.tw

I was a devotee of it a long time ago. But they will persuade you to become a vegetarian and live a desireless life. I’ve been not such a man since army service. Their main goal is to teach you meditation. Yoga is part of it.

[color=blue]Edit Oct 2004: Some of these threads have disappeared[/color]

“Yoga in Taiwan” thread
“Yoga Taipei” thread
“Yoga” thread
“Yoga practice group has started up” thread
“Yoga partner” thread
“Yoga classes?” thread
“Yoga in Taipei” thread
“Yoga lessons in Taipei” thread
“Yoga in Taizhong” thread

Not to mention:
The other “Yoga for inuries” thread (Some would call it spam)

Juba,

Very diligent of you, but the enquries were for yoga classes, not a bunch of useless threads of other people asking for yoga classes. None of those threads have details of any yoga classes in Taipei, with the exception of the Ananda one which is probably not good for someone who wants yoga for health without meditation (also an all women’s class which only helps half the population, and a group from 2002, which last time I asked, I was unable to find out if it still existed or not).

So I ask again. Does anyone have actual details (address, phone number) of yoga classes in Taipei?

Brian

As far as I know you can just pay your money and do yoga classes with Ananda Marga - you don’t have to become a “Margi.” By the way, I am a lapsed Margi, like Kimichen. There seem to be quite a lot of us around. Ananda Marga has numerous practice centres in several areas of Taiwan. The location details can be found by clicking in this map.

The Hare Krishna and Rajneesh people also have a presence in Taiwan. There are lots of Chinese books about yoga in bookshops, so someone must be doing it. I have seen several other yoga schools. Someone in one of the other threads suggested those classes might be for women only. The only way to find out is to phone up or walk in and ask.

Also some traditional Chinese exercises are yoga-like, e.g. the “eight pieces of brocade” (ba duan jin) and Shaolin tongzigong. You can do jiujiu shengong and learn how to dangle heavy weights off your gonads.

[color=blue](Set Big5 code to see the Chinese characters below…)[/color]

YMCA
Address: [url=http://www.ymca.org.tw/wan-hua/005.htm]No. 290, Kunming St., Wanhua District, Taibei

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]
So I ask again. Does anyone have actual details (address, phone number) of yoga classes in Taipei?

Brian[/quote]

Actually, I know more places, but it is troublesome to translate all Chinese information without knowing where you are. Beside Juba’s information, my sister practiced in “Chinese Youth Corps.” www.cyc.org.tw

Good luck

Now that’s useful :laughing:

Thanks Juba and Kimichen.

Kimichen - I don’t really need the info translated, and I live in Zhongzheng district, so a couple of Juba’s addresses may be worth checkign out. So far my only luck has been morning classes in the park where you have to bring your own mat etc. Anyway, it’s not for me - it’s for my wife who proabbly prefers PMs, and the OP Wanuibarrels who wants yoga for his sports injuries.

The Okida Yoga is close for us. Know anything about that?

Brian

I finally found a good yoga teacher in Taichung.

If anyone else is interested, her name is Ms. Chen, phone 0922-325-046.

The classes are monday and friday–one class in the morning: 10 am - 11:30 am

the other class is in the afternoon, 1pm to 2:30 pm.

Ms Chen teaches a traditional style of Indian yoga that aims to incorporate, mind, body and spirit, unlike many other courses, which focus mainly on body and often are unsuited to absolute beginners like me.

There are also classes in Taipei–Chen works for the International Yoga Institute Ltd. Their phone is 02-2666-7432, though they are in the process of moving, so that may change.

To keep the classes going in Taichung, Chen needs more students, so anyone interested is welcome to come along adn find out what it is all about!

I’ve been looking for a gym, or other place, that also has good yoga classes, or stretching classes. Does anyone have thoughts re Gold’s Gym, or elsewhere that might have Pilates classes?

Like many people who’ve spent far too much time hunched over a PC, I’m now trying to get my back in shape. I don’t have the leisure of Alan Greenspan, to spend 30 min in the tub every morning reading economic data. Nor do I have the cash of Soros (apparently George also has a bad back when) to help ease the nagging pain.

Any suggestions on the best places for yoga or pilates would be most welcome. :notworthy:

I would also like to do some pilates, and there is a thread somewhere if you search for it…Iris also said there is a pilates sign on Roosevelt road nead CKS Park.

However, my new exercise recommendation would solve your back/stomach problems in two weeks, and give you a good cardio-vascular workout at the same time:

**Kicking, use a board and do lengths in the pool, 2-500m/day kicking up and down the pool will leave you with strong abs, a stretched and relaxed back, stronger shoulders/legs etc., and fitter. Good luck!

A friend of mine teaches aerobics, pilates and yoga. If you want PM me and I’ll see how much she charges and where she teaches.

Pilates seems to be very trendy in Taiwan now. It probably costs a bomb. My girlfriend has been doing Yogalates (Yogilates?) on her recent trip to Los Angeles. I doubt she will keep it up now she is back in Taiwan.

For yoga, there are already half a dozen threads about that. Here is a very big site search link so you can’t miss it:

SEARCH

On second thoughts, I’ll save you the trouble:

[url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/yoga-for-injuries/7456/1 “Yoga for inuries” thread[/url]

Yoga and Meditation classes are conducted in English at Ananda Marga Yoga and Meditation Centers in all major cities of Taiwan. For information about times and costs go to www.anandamarga.org.tw or call 02-29333036 :slight_smile:

How about those ergonomic computer seats where you have to sit in a semi-kneeling position? They keep your spine in the right position. Has anyone seen chairs like these in Taiwan? I would very much like to buy one. I’m hunched over the keyboard most of the day too.

My teacher charges 1200-1700 per class no matter how many students. She just needs to know what area and then find space to rent at a health club.

If you’re interested in doing some Iyengar style yoga classes, I’ve got a small group going near Taipower Bldg. MRT. Contact me through my email (ajardine@rocketmail.com) if you’re interested and I’ll give you more details.

My gym has free Pilates classes with a gym membership of $1000 NT a month. I live in Ilan county though.

My gym (California) also has pilates classes. I recently go once a week although I don’t like my gym but the teacher is good…and some new friends I just met are going to do yoga once or twice a week. We will start in Feb. and will do it at one of our houses or will find some good places to do it altogether. If you are interested in doing yoga with us you can PM me.

I’ve never tried classes yet. I might some day. Well probably not. I personally like people like Iyengar and all the other masters who studied the Yoga texts themselves and spent hours a day being hermits and self-discovering. :slight_smile:

I’ve done Pilates through one very good book I had in the past. I’m now looking through what’s consider the yoga bible, Light on Yoga by Iyengar. It really is excellent.