Zain Dean conviction--fatal hit & run case PART III

I surmise he must have been out on bail. But what surprises me is that I thought he would have been taken into custody after his first trial. I had no idea he was on the lam. Taiwan, being an island, isn’t exactly an easy place to flee from.

But as someone who has all along believed he was innocent, and that such a nightmarish circumstance could happen to any of us by a roll of the dice of fate, I must say it’s heartening to think he dodged the clutches of injustice. And though I have my deepest sympathies for the family of the victim, I believe they have been going after the wrong guy all this time.

You guys know what kind of news are dumped before CNY so no one will pay attention to them?

So, the police have now arrested the British national accused of providing his passport to aid in Zain Dean’s escape. According to the following news report, which is often flawed in Taiwan, the accused’s name is David and was a former employee of Zain Dean before he was arrested for the hit and run accident. Afterward, “David” became an English teacher after Zain Dean was arrested and the kangaroo court got started.

The probable downside to this story and event in general is that in order to cover up their massive incompetence, the Taiwan government will probably institute biometric covention for all foreign residents and visitors to Taiwan. I see photographs and fingerprints upon entry and exit as standard operating procedures in the near future. That way the Taiwan government can keep better track of all us ne’er-do-wells. Of course, Taiwan citizens won’t be required to submit biometrics and they will continue to steal from their companies, commit other criminal acts and then safely abscond to another country to which they also hold a passport. :unamused:

Story in sidebar on front page of Apple News today.

He left in August?

AUGUST?! :astonished:

DAMN! I go on a three-week vacation, and all my neighbors are wondering where I went.

August, September, October, November, December, January . . .

DAMN!

I do not quite get the explanation about why the news is released so late. Something about the video surveillance?

I’m guessing that was one very expensive passport rental.

What would you pay to avoid years in a Taiwanese prison?

And what’s to become of David? :ponder:

David got it paid, I hope, or Zain managed to make him believe that not much will happen, who knows?

He will become the sacrificial lamb I guess, 4 years in gaol awaits him perhaps?

Doesn’t make any sense does it? Also wouldn’t they want to put out a warrant immediately and publicize this to try and catch him? Really weird… I guess they thought he was on the island and were wiretapping or dong surveillance on his friends and contacts. Or maybe they were sitting on their arses. Right eejits.

[quote=“zender”]I’m guessing that was one very expensive passport rental.

And what’s to become of David? :ponder:[/quote]

If he had any brains, I hope he claims ZD stole his passport. :liar: :liar:

[quote=“bigduke6”][quote=“zender”]I’m guessing that was one very expensive passport rental.

And what’s to become of David? :ponder:[/quote]

If he had any brains, I hope he claims ZD stole his passport. :liar: :liar:[/quote]

That would be what Zain told him to say I guess.

Remember, in today’s modern, civilized world, a person’s worth is determined by the GPS coordinates in which they happen to be born. Foreigners 100% bad, locals 100% good.

Doesn’t make any sense does it? Also wouldn’t they want to put out a warrant immediately and publicize this to try and catch him? Really weird… I guess they thought he was on the island and were wiretapping or dong surveillance on his friends and contacts. Or maybe they were sitting on their arses. Right eejits.[/quote]

The story in Apple mentions that Zean’s departure came to light when David applied for a replacement passport on Dec. 27, and it was found that he had already left the country. They checked the films last week. They may have assumed he was hiding in country before Dec. 27, but not sure why they wouldn’t publicize that.

It also says that “According to sources (ha), although David reported losing his wallet on the night Dean left the country, and also alleged that he had lost his passport and didn’t know it had been used by someone else, prosecutors did not believe his story, and charged him with falsifying documents and offenses under the Immigration Act. He was placed under the charge of the Immigration Bureau and sent to the foreigner’s lockup.”

Yes they just need a fall guy to keep the masses satiated. Fall guy one to fall guy two eh? Dean keeps on working his magic…

How does ‘not believing the story’ allow somebody to be locked up? Unless they have evidence he colluded with Dean they should let him out.

But he must have done it HH!

[quote=“Northcoast Surfer”]
The probable downside to this story and event in general is that in order to cover up their massive incompetence, the Taiwan government will probably institute biometric covention for all foreign residents and visitors to Taiwan. I see photographs and fingerprints upon entry and exit as standard operating procedures in the near future. That way the Taiwan government can keep better track of all us ne’er-do-wells. Of course, Taiwan citizens won’t be required to submit biometrics and they will continue to steal from their companies, commit other criminal acts and then safely abscond to another country to which they also hold a passport. :unamused:[/quote]

You can register to get a fast-pass sort of thing attached to your passport already, which uses biometrics. I think it uses facial recognition technology. Same system is used by locals and foreigners, though.

I know…it’s like talking to 12 year olds…that run a technologically advanced country…somehow. :astonished:

No worries, I’m sure he’ll get a fair trial.

You’re talking about Taiwan, right? I see your point regarding the way other southeast Asians are perceived, but westerners are generally well-treated here.

Anyway, it’s odd that they set his bail so low. It’s almost as if he was prosecuted because the public demanded it, but they made it real easy for him to run off because they really didn’t want to to do it. Like some kind of inscrutable “face” thing.

OK, what happens with the David guy?

One would think that it will be hard for them to get a conviction of him without any proof?

I can understand that there is a strong suspicion on the governments side, let’s run over the facts.

1. Boss gets convicted, gets 4 years in the slammer.
  2. Boss gets a passport out of former employee, uses that to leave the country.
  3. When boss is well and truly gone, former employee applies for new passport, reports old one stolen.

I can see why they do not believe that Zain swiped his wallet and passport, honestly, if I were the investigator on the case, I would not believe that story either, and would keep our friend in said slammer until he is willing to talk.