1/2 Day City Tour - From TPE Airport

I have a long layover @ CKS (TPE) Airport next month -
While searching for City tours I came across google entry
from 2005 that the Airport ha a tourism counter that gives
visitors Free 1/2 day tours

Are these tours Still operating & who do we contact (from USA)
to get more details (timings etc)

Thank You

Leaving someone else to answer bout these tours because I have no clue. However, you dont need a guided tour to visit Taipei City. Comfortable buses leave every ten minutes or so for the city. For bout 5 bucks a trip. Make sure you have gone to the toilet BEFORE you board the bus as it takes about an hour or more and there are no toilets on the bus! Once in the city with a bit of pre planning you can take the subway (MRT) to visit quite a few places. Hsimenting is a nice place to hang around in. Of course visit the Taipei 101 (currently the worlds tallest building), the Shihlin Night market is fun (although better at night , still is pretty fun in the daytime. You could go to the Mucha Zoo by MRT and also take in the new Maokong Gondola. Thats supposed to be fun. Quite a few things to do. And very do-able by yourself.

Well, how long is the long layover? Exploring the city on your own when you have only half-day doesn’t seem feasible.

Yeah, and possibly get stuck in there for hours and miss your flight.

On my first visit I would take the bus to Taipei. Hop on the blue line of the MRT, exit at City Hall Station and go to Taipei 101. There I would take the elevator up to the observation deck enjoy the view and get an idea of Taipei and it’s surroundings. Then I would shop and dine in the spacious mall area downstairs. If I had some more time, I would take the MRT in the opposite direction and exit at Longshan Temple, visit the temple and the night market area. In this way you can take in the most modern and the oldest part of the city.

[quote=“Rascal”]Well, how long is the long layover? Exploring the city on your own when you have only half-day doesn’t seem feasible.

Yeah, and possibly get stuck in there for hours and miss your flight.[/quote]

HAHA , yes I thought of that after I had suggested it !! There is a very REAL possibility of that happening so better avoid that one. Visit Tamshui by MRT instead? NOt terribly exciting tho, but a good time killer.

Yes, they were still operating and were still free as of 3 weeks ago. I have never taken one but I have spent so long at TPE that I have read just about every brochure and poster available. From memory there is a morning tour bus and an afternoon tour bus. Each operates from and to both terminals. You must meet immigration requirements - assuming you are a US citizen with 6 months on your passport then you are granted visa-exempt entry (no charge). They will only let you take the tour if you have enough time - I think they specify a minimum transit time of at least 7 hours.

I wouldn’t do a tour yourself, and certainly not by bus/MRT etc. There is no train service from the airport to the city centre. Traffic is unpredictable, and English isn’t widely spoken (I’m assuming you don’t speak Chinese). Getting a taxi back or finding the bus stop is an adventure you can do without in an unfamiliar land. One mistake and as already pointed out, you could miss your flight. It will be a constant worry.

I’m a regular flyer. As an indication, the best I’ve done by car (around 5am Sunday) is 35mins (city centre to T2 departures). 45mins is typical. 120mins has been the absolute worst case (Friday night). You won’t need to check-in on return. Security is rarely more than 10mins. Immigration - the worst I’ve faced is 20mins either way. So this gives you an idea of whether a trip to the city is a runner. If despite the above you want to have a go yourself, I suggest you go to the tourist information in the arrivals hall and see if they can get a driver to take care of you throughout - and then target a particular landmark. Or get them to write in Chinese “take me to Taiwan Taoyuan airport, Terminal X for NT$1000?”. Then get a car to exactly where you want to go (eg at the limo desk for around NT$1300). Then when you’re finished, hail a yellow cab waving your piece of paper and get into the first taker… They are everywhere in central Taipei and most will say yes to NT$1000 if they have the time. Allow 3 hours before take off (2 hours if you dare)… Taiwanese taxis are great - little chance of rip-off as in “some other popular asian destinations”.

I’ll be at TPE on Wednesday - if I can’t find more specific info then I’ll have a look when I return here a week or so later. I’m sure there is no need to book ahead - and you may not want to commit yourself.

If you stay in the airport, there are some airline lounges with showers if you are in business class or have the right kind of frequent flyer card with the airline concerned. The “More Lounge” admits Priority Pass holders and holders of certain credit cards. Failing that you can buy access on a one-off basis if you want a quiet place to rest.

Thank you for the replies

My Flight from San Francisco lands around 6:00 AM & connecting flight takes off
from TPE around 11:30 pm so I have pretty much the entire day.

Depending on how jet lagged I am - I could just go to the Transit hotel for a
shower & nap - wake up & go to the Tourist counter for the Noon (1:00 ?)
1/2 day city tour Or just go straight to the counter for the Morning (8:00?)
tour

Since my connecting flight is at 11:30 PM - I need to be back at TPE by 9:00 pm
or so - which is doable with the noon tour departure

Passed through TPE on Friday. Got the A4 flyer in front of me. Seems like you could do both! Selective quotes below:

Welcome to Taiwan. Free Half-Day Tour

Who can participate:
Transit of transfer passengers with at least 7 hours to spare within a 24 hour period before their next connecting flight, and who have a valid ROC visa or come from countries eligible for visa-exempt entry or landing visa.

Departure 08:15 (T1), 08:00 (T2), Return to airport (depending on traffic): Before 13:00
Departure 13:45 (T1), 13:30 (T2), Return to airport (depending on traffic): Before 18:30

Each tour is limited to 18 passengers on a first come, first served basis.

Itinerary (choose one):

A tour: Airport -> Sansia & Zuzhihi Temple -> Yingge -> Return
B tour: Airport -> Taipei 101 Mall -> Longshan Temple -> Presidential Office Building -> CKS Memorial Hall -> Martyrs’ Shrine -> Return

Registration
Tourist Service Center, Arrival Lobby
Tel: 03-398-2194, 03-398-3341 or dial 2194 or 3341 from courtesy telephone
Service Hours: 07:00-23:30

https://eng.taiwan.net.tw/tour/index.htm

My cousin just realized she has a 9-hour layover here this afternoon. I found the link to the free half-day tour (message) but it’s too early for her arrival. Today, there is the airport train, so if she is going to be available from late afternoon to early evening (4pm to 10pm in downtown), what should she focus on for her first-time in Taiwan?

Taipei 101 (skip the view deck if its cloudy)
Ximending (as recommended by the half day tour)
Night Market near Tonghua St
Eslite Main Store or at City Hall
Wang Steak

I read some posts and was typing up a response before realizing it was over 10 years old :persevere:

There were still news articles about it as of 2017 that provided links to the one GooseEgg posted. So I think it’s still well and running.

Ha! I did the same thing. Tommy’s comment about 101 being the current tallest building in the world gave it away for me.

Tripadvisor has a couple of reviews from 2018, one from last month.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g293913-d5617479-Reviews-Taipei_Free_Half_Day_Tour_for_Tourists_with_Air_Layovers-Taipei.html