1 Gigabyte sticks of RAM

Does anyone know a place in Taichung to get 1 Gig sticks of RAM. Someone told me there is some kind of computer EXPO going on this weekend in Taichung. I will check there if I can get a 1 Gig stick. I would like to know if anyone out there has a 1 Gig stick and if it is worth it? How much should I pay for one and what is a good company to go with? Currently I have 2, 512Mb of RAM from Transcend so I have a total of 1024 Mb RAM. I am looking seriously improve my computer since I am consitently running a lot of programs with very big files.

Any help would be appreciated.

Stare.

[quote=“stare”]Does anyone know a place in Taichung (Taizhong) to get 1 Gig sticks of RAM. Someone told me there is some kind of computer EXPO going on this weekend in Taichung (Taizhong). I will check there if I can get a 1 Gig stick. I would like to know if anyone out there has a 1 Gig stick and if it is worth it? How much should I pay for one and what is a good company to go with? Currently I have 2, 512Mb of RAM from Transcend so I have a total of 1024 Mb RAM. I am looking seriously improve my computer since I am consitently running a lot of programs with very big files.

Any help would be appreciated.

Stare.[/quote]
You’ll need to know which brands are compatible with your motherboard. Check various web merchant sites; some of them have compatibility checkers. You don’t have to buy from them to gather information from their websites. I think newegg.com has one.

Pricewatch.com will give you U.S. prices. If you know what a 256MB costs here vs. the U.S., you should be able to use that ratio to guess at local prices for 1GB based on the current U.S. prices.

If you’re not limited to just two sticks of RAM, you could save money by adding another 512. The larger the size, the more the premium price, not to mention the bigger the loss if the stick gets fried.

If my recent excursions to Nova, 3C,and others are indicative of stocking practice, you may have trouble finding a 1 GB RAM card. Last weekend I built a new computer for my wife and did look for the 1 GB, she does a lot pf photo editing. I asked at both 3C and several shops in the Taipei and Chungli Novas and got nearly the same answer every time, “People in Taiwan don’t but the 1GB RAM cards because they are too expensive, therefore we don’t stock them.”