1 month ARC extension – getting ARC surrogate?

Hi y’all,

At the moment, I don’t have an arc card. The school I’m working at is still processing new contract stuff and my last one ran out. Therefore, they’ve decided to extend my arc for one year. That said, all I have to show for that is a receipt, essentially stating that yes, it’s been extended. Is there any other document that can function as an arc – i.e. have an ID number and allow me to register vehicles and engage with certain services – that I should have got when going for this one month extension? Or is there a document I can request that will fulfill this purpose? Or should I just show the ID and receipt and should that be good enough for this purpose?

Appreciate all and any assistance with this

Usually no. Most institutions want an ARC card that still has time on it. It really depends on what you’re trying to do. You can forget banks and government offices. In some rare cases, you can use your health card. Just have to wait unfortunately.

So when you’ve extended the ARC at the immigration office, they can’t offer you like any documentation that you could use in place of one??? Just seems kinda important, like, how am I even supposed to know if I got a speeding ticket if idk what my ID number is or any of the other myriad functions having a proper id card has

It’s actually illegal to not have an ARC without good reason. Your employer is a fuckwit. But I think their issue is with acquisition of the work permit. The ARC part is handled by you.

This situation happens all the time because HR departments in Taiwan share half a brain between about six people.

1 Like

Talked to him today, seems that we’re headed back to immigration land to apply for a card since I’ve already got an approved extension of 1 year. Should be ok? I think? And apparently we’ll get the card while we’re there, maybe? I didn’t totally understand. He’s only working on info he gets from the gdam immigration people, so I think that’s where the lions share of the issue is.

Except, hang on, why wouldn’t you know what your arc number is? And traffic fines have no connection to your arc. Just input the number plate into iBon.

well i know the num on my old one, i just don’t know if that’s still a valid number… does the extension make it valid again, even though I don’t have an ID card to verify it?

can also check it on the interwebs

1 Like

The number stays the same. Always the same.

2 Likes

k cool

but for doing anything basically, still need the card :sweat_smile:

be nice if they could just internally verify that it’s valid or something but I guess impersonation is the concern.

The rules at telcoms etc is they need to sight the card. But if you hold a gun to their heads they might accept a photocopy of the old card.

I’m still in a ten year standoff with Fareastone who insisted they needed to sight my new passport and actually called me to bring it in. But they don’t need to sight Taiwan passports so they ain’t sighting mine. I mean the passport number is in the ARC.

1 Like

If telecoms are being pissy about it, i highly doubt that any govt agency will accept that… I’m trying to be able to register a vehicle or transfer registration and I think imma just have to wait LOL