141 foreign professionals naturalized as Taiwan citizens in three years

if you mean SEA spouses, I think most of them are hard working people needed by Taiwan.

2 Likes

I knew the first comment would be around that. I am not pointing my point of view, but what it seems is Taiwan’s and most of the Taiwanese I talk to here. Hope someone can understand my comparison made above.

Correct. I failed to submit proof of renunciation within one year (my choice) to apply for the full passport so my TARC shitty passport was cancelled (TARC means you are already a national).
However there was still a residency requirement after getting the ID if I remember correctly (can be from one to five years) . I have to exit the country for work so it just DOESNT WORK for me even though I’ve been a resident for almost twenty years…

2 Likes

But, that’s not how the Taiwanese view the SEA spouses. I believe they openly treat these immigrants worse than us.

Most of them are seen no differently than domestic or factory workers who only come to work for a few years and go back to their home countries. Is there a pecking order or class difference between a Vietnamese woman who comes to work in a factory versus one who was selected as a mail order bride? I don’t know about this.

A couple things I do know.

1. Vietnamese and Thai mail order brides don’t really renounce their citizenships in the classic sense. Yes, they officially renounce and then obtain Taiwanese citizenship. But then they immediately jump on a plane, go back to their home countries and reclaim their citizenships. So, in effect, they never truly give up their citizenships in order to obtain Taiwanese citizenship. Unlike me, for example, I renounce and it’s gone for good. Also, Thai women can renounce their citizenship because they are merely females, but Thai males aren’t allowed to renounce by law. So, Thai males only need to present official documentation which states they are prohibited from renouncing and they can get Taiwanese citizenship.

2. There are many Vietnamese mail order brides who are now helping other Vietnamese women who are here on guest worker visas as domestics or factory workers to meet and marry Taiwanese men so they can immigrate to Taiwan. It’s almost like getting a working visa for the specific intent to meet and marry a Taiwanese man.

3. The demographics of Taiwan is changing rapidly. The number of mixed race/cultural children of SEA and Taiwanese is increasing very fast. I see them all over in my small town. This is fascinating to me as by my understanding and experience, Taiwanese don’t want this change. They want to keep Taiwan as primarily Han Chinese. But, based on the immigration laws as it pertains to renunciation and the propensity to import SEA brides, they are doing it to themselves. Can’t wait to see what Taiwan looks like in another 20 years. Instead of looking like Singapore or other multicultural societies, Taiwan will be a second mini SEA. Have you noticed the number of Vietnamese restaurants that have popped up over the past 10 years? My little town has 7 or 8!

It feels like the Taiwanese would prefer to have these SEA immigrants versus western big noses. They think that these type of immigrants will build a stronger Taiwan? Put Taiwan on the forefront of the international community? Whatever!

1 Like

Vietnamese people can fit into Taiwan society very well, the cultures seem to be very similar . Most other nationalities can struggle quite a bit in this han dominant society which doesn’t have any non Han communities except for indigenous people . Vietnamese are kind of cousins of Chinese.

Also a lot of Vietnamese seem to come from a rural background and this means they can adapt to Taiwan’s countryside and towns which are VERY local and have a bit of a rough edge . Vietnamese often also want to better themselves through business and hard work. They aren’t usually Catholic or Muslim which can create issues here. I visit Vietnam for work sometimes and the difference between Taiwan and Vietnam are pretty damn small except for Vietnam’s politics and Vietnam being poorer (this will change VERY quickly though ) .

3 Likes

@Brianjones @tando Yes. That’s right. My data and experience is old. Taiwan changed the rules/law due to SEA brides being left stateless if something went wrong with the naturalization process. There was a huge outcry over the many stateless individuals that occurred because of this. Yes, thanks for jogging my memory.

Now, you can go through the naturalization process up to the point of renunciation. You can get your TARC and passport and once you’ve reached the one year residency requirement on the TARC, you go to your embassy and renounce, then submit your renunciation paperwork and collect your citizenship, ID, household registration, turn in the TARC passport and apply for the citizenship passport.

This way avoids the risk of becoming stateless.

Oh, the 5 years thingy? That’s the amount of time that you are “on probation” once you get your citizenship. Not really probation, but if you are found to have committed some type of indefinite crime as it pertains to your immigration package (fraud), then your Taiwanese citizenship can be revoked. Then, you’ll join the ranks of the undead and be stateless.

1 Like

@Brianjones
Yes. I saw this in the US in the 70s and early 80s. Pretty much every Vietnamese refugee I encountered refused to acknowledge that they were Vietnamese or from a Vietnam. According to them, they were all Chinese although they didn’t speak any dialect of Chinese and were culturally Vietnamese and entered the US as a designated refugee from a Vietnam. Perhaps they had one drop of Chinese blood, so it qualified them like Elizabeth “Pocahontas” Warren is qualified to call herself Native American. I guess that the Vietnamese refugees felt that by identifying themselves as Chinese was some kind of upgrade? I always thought this was strange.

There was like a half a million ethnic Chinese left Vietnam after the war. Maybe some of the people you met fit that demographic

Yep! Every single one of them! Not Vietnamese. The US government is so silly! We should have designated them Chinese refugees or Chinese Boat People! Vietnamese? What the hell were we thinking!? We should have sent them all to China instead of letting them resettle in the US since they self-identified as Chinese! Hell, we could also play the ethnicity/citizenship game and call them VBC for good measure!

1 Like

so, ethnic Chinese people legally having Vietnamese nationality are not Vietnamese? Chinese/Korean/Japanese/Vietnamese/or anything Americans with US citizenship are not American?

1 Like

and, fraud marriage is permanent.

1 Like

You have to ask the VBC about this. As far as my official duties were concerned, they were legally Vietnamese citizens who were refugees resettled in the US. They, as I stated, would only admit to being Chinese.

Same as the Vietnamese refugee who invented the American version of Sriricha. He’s ethically Chinese, but he only acknowledges being Chinese and not Vietnamese. However his English accent is 100% Vietnamese. Why isn’t he a proud Vietnamese refugee who resettled in America only to make millions on his sauce? VBC!

Maybe leaving on bad terms - or even getting chased out - reduced the likelihood of identifying?

8 Likes

What kinda of lawsuit can hold one’s naturalization process?

At the end of the article:

You can help!
If someone you know may be eligible for Taiwanese naturalization, please share this article with them, and like us on Facebook and Twitter to show your support. If you are eligible for naturalization, but are unwilling or unable to proceed due to the renunciation requirement, please join our mailing list . You’ll be the first to know of any meeting, rally, press conference, or other public action where your support would be most valuable.

So, @dan2006,

Is that a good place to start?

2 Likes

Literally ANY lawsuit! Doesn’t matter if it’s valid or not! All it takes is filing a lawsuit to put the naturalization process on hold! This was when you had to renounce your citizenship first which made you stateless.

In the end, my client “won” the lawsuit filed against him because it was found to be without merit. But, it cost him lawyer fees and most importantly held him in limbo for an indeterminate time. He could have filed a counter suit, but it would have been counterproductive and no guarantee that he would have won. After all, “here is Taiwan”!

What was the lawsuit? Allegations of stealing a business phone number, which was proven that he owned! Court was unnecessary, but because some asshat filed a lawsuit it had to go to court. So stupid! The lawsuit was filed purposely to screw up his naturalization.

Let’s say that you are riding your bicycle in the park and a Taiwanese claims that your bike is theirs and that you stole it. They can file a lawsuit against you and you have to go to court to prove that the bike is yours!

Ask @ironlady about frivolous lawsuits. She got jacked because some Taiwanese said that she was running an illegal translation business out of her home, which was proven later that she didn’t, hadn’t and wasn’t!

You can also see all the stories of how Taiwanese will report to the police about big noses smoking or selling weed from their homes. Without any proof or probable cause, Taiwan judges issue a search warrant and the police come and toss your house! Allegations by Taiwanese against big noses never works out in our favor, like almost never.

2 Likes

Man, that’s just…

maybe they seldom be shot just because of big noses at least, though.

Yes ive joined the list. I’d send letters from where I am now but it won’t have as much force as when I get back. I think getting a nice respectful translated letter that we can send to every legislator will likely help and especially if we can get face time with some of them.

1 Like