141 foreign professionals naturalized as Taiwan citizens in three years

True. Here is to hoping they change some of the rules by the time I turn 36 when I am planning to start doing the process.

What people from my country have done is present a letter stating our country wonā€™t allow is to renounce our nationality and that seems fine.

1 Like

This is 100% correct. If you can get your country to issue you a letter which states that you are not allowed to renounce your citizenship or your request to renounce your citizenship has been denied, then the Taiwan government will not prevent you from obtaining Taiwanese citizenship.

So, the trick for Americans is to know someone in the AIT who will issue the letter that states you came, you submitted the renunciation paperwork and were subsequently denied. Then, you can prove that you were not allowed to renounce your citizenship and should be able to claim Taiwanese citizenship without giving up your US citizenship.

Thai males are able to do this easily because itā€™s actually against the law for Thai males to renounce their citizenship. Thai females can, but just like Vietnamese, return to their home country and re-claim their citizenship.

1 Like

New article similar to the one that started this thread:

ā€œThere have been millions and millions of Chinese Americans but zero American Chineseā€ Eric Liu, Harvard

2 Likes

The fact that this is even news says it allā€¦

:roll_eyes:

9 Likes

This is not (yet) related to naturalized citizenship (though Dr Napali would be eligible to apply in the future).

It was also linked in the Plum Blossom Card thread here:

Guy

1 Like

Im in, how do we start getting together to discuss?

1 Like

And taiwan then grants them citizenship? Somehow, that annoys me even more. Though I am happy for your country mates.

1 Like

Iā€™ll be back in Taiwan shortly. Currently @Marco is the guy organizing as he is currently in town :slight_smile:

Because thereā€™s no rhyme or reason to the citizenship policy. Just a load of arbitrary obstacles cobbled together haphazardly .

2 Likes

I suspect some of the nonsense we encounter is based on:

1. the historically race-based notion of citizenship in the ROC (for CHINESE people); coupled with

2. the security concerns and complications brought about by the PRCā€™s existence.

If the system doesnā€™t make much sense, perhaps itā€™s because of this ROC shell weā€™re still hauling around . . .

Guy

The china issue is the only silver lining that makes me accept the chaos. But its still insanely flawed!

All 2 of them, dear.

The issue is we canā€™t, we want to, we go through the process. It is not as if we do not have gone through the wringer.

So what youre saying is that situation only worked twice?

Back to the drawing board. Thats the fun bit in taiwan, the first one (maybe a couple after jf quick enough) makes it through with a quirky idea. Then it gets stamped out.

Well, those 2 I personally know and witnessed, so I can tell you. But considering there is a handful of us here, it is a significant hopeful number.

There is a fellow country woman who has been here over 20 years but as she divorced her hubby, they barely allow her to stay for her children and have refused all attempts to get permanent residence let alone nationality. She has a professional job, a decent income, but no. Since she is allowed here on a family visa, somehow that is used against her.

Gotcha.

Thats insane about your friend not being able to get aprc. i went through a similar ordeal, but have a daughter. took 4 years to get aprc :frowning: and those 4 years were STRESSFUL!

As an aside, has she considered moving to a more friendly county, registering her ID then going through immigration there? Seems the only way sometimes, despite it going to the national government for review, county offices hold the inspections and all that and have weight in the decision.

1 Like

But her children are here. Thatā€™s the problem. Otherwise going back, going elsewhere, wouldnā€™t be an issue.

And we are not from a ā€œdesirableā€ nationalityā€¦ Yet more than 20 thousand Taiwanese have our countryā€™s passport.