141 foreign professionals naturalized as Taiwan citizens in three years

if the reciprocity is for every country, it would be “fair” and “equal”. US would open its border to countries whose borders are opened to US citizens.

1 Like

No amputee? That would make it 64 and a bit!

1 Like

As a spouse that would only do ‘house work’ wouldn’t qualify?

This is a supposition I made since they value foreign worker without family ties here more than foreign workers with ties. In an ideal world my vote would be for everyone that is married and with kids to be eligible to apply for the citizenship without giving up one’s passport. But utopia is no real thing and taiwan values more foreign unrelated workers than family. In that case why not allow foreigners married to Taiwanese that ALSO work to be able to apply without renouncing his citizenship just like the workers are eligible now? I don’t see why the folks who are not married can meanwhile the families that are also working have so much more trouble so just need to go through The renouncing route.

It’s not even single foreigners. It’s single exceptionally high qualified foreigners. English teachers and factory workers won’t be accepted .
Even married foreigners can go that route too if they are considered important enough to put in the media proudly.

It is not comparable folks who have been here for DECADES building family and contributing in the economy to be requested to give up their passport with someone who has got no ties. Maybe they will do like Greece and give Tom Hanks a passport just because he was in social media taking about the disasters there. Would it be fair? I am pretty sure Tom Hanks could get a Taiwanese passport without even have lived here if he wanted.

2 Likes

The latest numbers,
“Since the National Act was amended in December 2016, a total of 119 foreigners have gained naturalization in Taiwan without having to relinquish citizenship in their own countries, the ministry said.”

1 Like

It’s disappointing for sure. I may apply for this as the only route available but I will never support this system as being fair or well thought out , no matter if I get it or not .

It’s like…If you are category B human being we deliberately make trouble for you just because we can. Doesn’t matter what you did in Taiwan for the last twenty years while you were living here, studying and working , running businesses, raising Taiwanese families and paying tax.

Category A human being (some academics, some connected folks, some Goddamn TV personality , priests , whatever ), we wont screw you cos we need you for some face saving but we will make sure you guys don’t get to be too numerous either…

This system achieves NOTHING.

7 Likes

I wish we could pin you post to the top of the page and send to the ministry

and a lot of people seem to forget the fact that you will be drafted for military service if you are 36 or younger.
I mean I could potentially apply right now but
I cannot leave the country (I have to travel for work, its the reason they hired a foreigner!).
I have to do military service since I am still under 36.
The only good thing is I can’t renounce my citizenship, I was told my embassy writes a BS letter saying I did even though I can’t, just to please the TW government.

Are you Brazilian by any chance ?
So your embassy writes a letter saying something false, you should sue them.

Nope, not Brazilian.
I don’t know if they still do that, but that was the case 2-3 years ago. Our constitution doesn’t allow us to renounce our citizenship, so they can’t take it away but they know the Taiwanese government doesn’t care about the applicant’s country (unless you are Japanese) laws. So they write a letter saying you did but cannot take your passport/ID away from you.

So they write a letter to Taiwan govt saying you renounced but you can still have a passport?

I asked about that because the local HR office showed me a very weird letter from Brazilian govt official before that I knew was bullshit. They said the applicant would be giving up their Brazilian citizenship ‘in the future’ lol. I thought it was a fake letter but it seems it’s actually an official letter.
The guy in the HR office asked could I get such a letter.
If I asked my government to do that they would tell me to piss off.

I am not sure about Brazil but someone from Italy told me that they have a weird law that you can actually renounce but they don’t take it away, pending a law to change might render all those people stateless if they don’t have another citizenship. so they write that you will give it away in the future pending law changes… lol

Ah sounds similar to this weird Brazilian thing.

but yeah basically the giving away my original citizenship wouldn’t be the problem since I can get the BS letter. The problem would be not being able to travel and potentially having to do military service.

1 Like

The not being able to travel was a deal breaker for me and I didn’t want to renunciate in the end, got pissed off…

If you aren’t allowed to renounce. You can try for an exception to the rule. That has happened for people here. Go talk to the immigration centre.

How difficult would that be? I think going to my embassy to get that letter would be easier than depending on the government to check/understand my home country’s constitution.

It would certainly be a lot safer than getting accused of fraud.

You’re not really checking, if you can’t get it renounced, then you can’t. You show them the law saying it isn’t allowed.