2/3rds of Young Americans terrible at Geography

cnn.com/2006/EDUCATION/05/02 … index.html

2/3rds still cannot find Iraq on a map, 1/3rd cannot point out Louisiana.

What sort of education system do they have in America?

I am more concerned about the ADULTS in Taiwan who seem to think the weather in America is always colder, everywhere.

If you’re really interested (in geography), you could research this guy: Gilbert M. Grosvenor, President and Chairman of the National Geographic Society. More specifically, you might want to read this article of his: ‘In Sight of the Tunnel: The Renaissance of Geography Education’ (Sept 1995). If you just want the highlights, plus a few rantings from the sensible left fringe, you might read this [url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/from-american-military-misconduct-to-a-grab-bag-of-issues/22099/74 words[/url].

Shouldn’t you people be more concerned with what your Taiwanese students are learning than this continual rant against all things American?

Can your Taiwanese students find Chilliwack on a map?.. :unamused:

I think ifyou have plans for global domination you should first be able to find your way around. :smiley:

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]Shouldn’t you people be more concerned with what your Taiwanese students are learning than this continual rant against all things American?

Can your Taiwanese students find Chilliwack on a map?.. :unamused:[/quote]

King o’ the hill syndrom. The US is held to a different (higher) standard.

Great book called “What’s so great about America.”

Read it.

I fear many Taiwanese can’t tell their ass from their elbow, but do I start a thread about it? Hyuck hyuck. :laughing:

Why? I think the plan is to just name the rest of the world Mexico. :smiley:

[quote=“ShrimpCrackers”]http://www.CNN.com/2006/EDUCATION/05/02/geog.test/index.html

2/3rds still cannot find Iraq on a map, 1/3rd cannot point out Louisiana.

What sort of education system do they have in America?[/quote]

Isn’t that how the US Goverment wants the population ignorant. Americans have always been excellent in Propaganda. They distract their people(and other countries people) with buying selling, TV, sports and meanwhile they rape and destroy other cutlures societies steal resources from other countries. That should be obvious look at how many great Chinese traditions and culture are being ruined and spoiled in Taiwan by Americanism.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]Shouldn’t you people be more concerned with what your Taiwanese students are learning than this continual rant against all things American?[/quote] Ignorance isn’t American, it’s universal.

[quote=“Jaboney”][quote=“TainanCowboy”]Shouldn’t you people be more concerned with what your Taiwanese students are learning than this continual rant against all things American?[/quote] Ignorance isn’t American, it’s universal.[/quote]Puppies are cute and kittens are fuzzy!

editted: play nicely please…jdsmith

care to provide an example of what resources are being stolen?

Yes, I certainly miss the days of one-man rule. I also miss the days of martial law, no democracy, no freedom of assembly or the press. I also wish that women would be treated as chattel and children would fight out among themselves who would succeed to the wealth of any given family. I miss bound feet. I miss lack of education for 90 percent of the people. I miss the low medical standards, the lack of indoor plumbing and air conditioning. Much better to get around by pedicaps or rickshaws. Mindless rote memorization of classical texts to the deteriment of creative thinking. Oh damn America. Why did it have to turn Taiwan into the mess it is today…

:laughing: :laughing:

But don’t go claiming it’s all America that shifted that sludge, the Japs need to get some credit too!

HG

:bravo: :bravo: Bienvenido Pendejo’s!!..now trim my hedge and turn that damn leaf-blower off!

Most of the worlds culture re-written, re-designed and re-packaged as American culture through Hollywood movies, for a start.

As for “King o’the hill” syndrome, it seems that it’s OK to talk about the US in IP as long as it’s something good. All the right wingers come out of the woodwork when something which criticises the US arises.

Most of the worlds culture re-written, re-designed and re-packaged as American culture through Hollywood movies, for a start.[/quote]

Whose fault is this? You ever watched a Hong Kong action film? Yaaaaaaaaaaawn. People do not HAVE to watch these things. They choose to, and maybe they choose to because there is a certain attraction for them. It’s called knowing your market. You seem to be saying the world is dumbing down because of Hollywood. I’d say that Hollywood is dumbing down because that’s what people want.

I don’t think any Americans who have responded here mind the criticism, and are taking it in stride and with good humor. “They” have said this for years and years. So what? Yes, and the US has poor math and science scores in high school too. We also have many of the best colleges and universities on Earth.

It’s a land of contradictions. :slight_smile:

I was in the 18-24 year old range during the first Gulf war. While I could find Iraq on a blank map now, at that time I honestly may not have been able to pin-point it. Getting drunk and getting laid were much higher on my list of priorities than Iraq’s location. What about other countries? I often hear reports about the US population’s poor geography skills, but are other countries any better?

I watched the video attatched to that article from CNN. They went around with a blank multi-coloured map asking people to find different things. Of course only the dumbest of the dumb get to be on the evening news.

I did the same thing with a map on a trip to South Saharan Africa. None of the kids I asked knew where any country was. They just kept saying, “Food…food.”

Point is, this is a stupid cheap stunt and there are far better things to worry about.

Market saturation.
Hollywood dominates the movie industry - not because Hollywood movies are any good (OK, many of them are remarkable) but because there is no other choice.
In Europe, there is not enough of a market to release high-cost movies to. A second problem is that if European or Aisan countries try to release a movie in the US, for whatever reason (usually because any threat to the US economy or it’s industries is disliked or because of the language barrier) European and Asian movies aren’t received well.
Some of the best movies I have seen have been French, but in America they probably don’t do well because the lack of a decent education in the US means it’s citizens can’t read subtitles. ( :smiling_imp: )
Because America is the largest western market, the justification for producing high budget movies is there, and these in turn are well received elsewhere because they are a): in English and b): there is little else to watch.

My main point was not really about movies, but American culture as a whole. American culture has stolen western culture and basically called it it’s own. My comment therefore was directed at Fred Smith.

You ask any Taiwanese person where Snow White, Bambi or Charlotte and the Web originate from and they will probably all say 'America." Is this their fault through ignorance?
I don’t think so. The US film industry makes very little effort to properly credit or acknowledge the original authors. The movies look American - the actors all have American actors or voice-overs. Infact, you ask the majority of westerners where these titles originate from and you will probably get the same answer, or an “I don’t know.”

In all, what people are led to believe America has given to the world to what it actually has given to the world are vastly different.

I’m not just talking about this subject, but subjects in general. The likes of Fred Smith and co. see fit to attack the “Euros” (a derogatory term, I believe) as often as they like, but when criticism of America arrives - especially in posts they have started, it seems to them that any criticism of the US is not called for and the opinions of anyone else are of no relevance.

I’m not particularly bothered by this. Hopefully the US governments and it’s associate departments will come up with something to address this.

Too true.

That shot is in the HOLE!

:bravo: :notworthy:

Angry little rodent…Back in your cheese hole!