2 quick tax return questions

When’s the earliest that I can submit my tax return?

Should I file at the tax office for my current address, or the one for where I was living when the tax was paid? I assume it’s the former, but just want to check.

Thanks in advance.

The earliest you can file is May 1. The only exception is if you are planning to permanently leave the country, in which case you can file any time. (You will need to get your employer to give you withholding certificates early though.)

I think you will have to file at the office for your address at time of filing, though if your withholding certificates have your old address you can probably get away with filing at the old office.

[quote=“jlick”]The earliest you can file is May 1. The only exception is if you are planning to permanently leave the country, in which case you can file any time. (You will need to get your employer to give you withholding certificates early though.)

I think you will have to file at the office for your address at time of filing, though if your withholding certificates have your old address you can probably get away with filing at the old office.[/quote]That’s very helpful, thanks.

Hrm. I’ve already filed my 2006 taxes and got a certificate. I needed it because I’m applying for a work permit, which apparently requires last year’s certificate. They gave me the impression that you can actually file any time you like, though.

Oh, and I had to file down here in Taichung even though my withholding certificates had my old Taipei address. The (very friendly and helpful) girl I talked to in the Taipei office said there was no way to get around it.

I’ve filed early before- just because I had the paperwork. It’s nice to get it out of the way- and if you’re due a refund then it comes back sooner too! (though still not till June I think).
That was in the Taipei tax office in Hsimending. It makes sense for them to be happy to file them sooner while they’re less hectic. The tax year finishes on Dec 31st so as soon as you’ve got your stuff together after that point …

After I posted the above I went to my local tax office. The people there said I could file any time, and that they’d prefer if I didn’t leave it until May because they get very busy then.

Turns out you can file anytime after the end of the tax year. The exception if you are leaving applies for filing when the tax year is not yet over. Sorry for the incorrect information.

Turns out you can file anytime after the end of the tax year. The exception if you are leaving applies for filing when the tax year is not yet over. Sorry for the incorrect information.[/quote]No worries. It was news to me too. I was in the tax office to get my 2005 wanshui zhengming to keep my records complete. The woman there got confused because she thought I wanted the 2006 one and told me that I’d have to file the return first, but that I could do it on the spot if I wanted.

The address thing is good news. It suits me to file at the office for the current address.