2008 USA Republican Party Presidential Campaign

Is it going to be all McCain?

I guess that says something about Republicans’ fitness to serve in public office.

Out of 290 million Americans, the Democrats were able to come up with 2 people qualified to lead the nation. Repubs could only come up with 1.

:moon:

MT -
Well…McCain wasn’t my personal choice.

Now get my coffee and go look for panty lines…chop chop!

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]MT -
Well…McCain wasn’t my personal choice.

Now get my coffee and go look for panty lines…chop chop![/quote]

TC, welcome back. I thought the Rapture got you. John McCain wasn’t my first choice either. When President Bush endorsed him that sealed the deal for me. At that point I realized it was actually possible to do worse than Bush-Cheney, incredible as that seems.

I’m beginning to believe that this collective stupidity has no bottom.

Well, who else is going to be campaigning for the GOP?

[quote=“Politico”]In his old role as chairman of the National Republican Congressional Committee, Rep. Tom Reynolds (N.Y.) often cajoled wavering Republicans into running for reelection. Back home in his district Thursday afternoon, Reynolds announced that he won’t be running again himself.

Consider it a sign of how the House GOP views its prospects for November.
[…]
While sympathizing with Reynolds’ plight — “the last few years have not been for fun for him” — a GOP operative said Thursday that the former NRCC chairman’s retirement will only make matters worse for a party that’s already reeling. “It will further depress an already-dejected House GOP conference,” the operative said. “Twenty-nine [retirements] and counting, and some great members and exceptional minds are among that number.”
[…]
Reynolds is the 29th House Republican to announce a retirement or resignation or already to have lost a seat this election cycle. Many vacancies are in districts that will likely be highly competitive in the fall: Of the 29 Republican-held open seats this election cycle, nearly half are in districts where President Bush won with 55 percent of the vote or less in 2004.

Over the last two years, Democrats have already picked up the seats of former House Speaker Dennis Hastert and former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, and Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee Communications Director Jennifer Crider said Thursday that her party is “well-positioned to pick up Reynolds’ seat,” as well.

“With today’s announcement, five of six elected Republican leaders from the 2006 cycle have retired or quit — Hastert, DeLay, Pryce, Doolittle and Reynolds — and Democrats are competitive in each of these districts,” Crider said.[/quote]

Not much to say except that John McCain is rotten filthy cheater.
Dems Sue FEC Over McCain Fund Opt-Out
He’s hard up for cash so he accepts federal election funds so he can get a loan and then he weasels out of the deal. The FEC can’t do anything because the Prez hasn’t appointed enough people. How convenient.
Here’s a PDF of the lawsuit. DNC vs. FEC

And that distinguishes him how from any other politician, including HRC and OHB?

And that distinguishes him how from any other politician, including HRC and OHB?[/quote]
I doubt that defense would work in court.

Hey spook - maybe there is hope for Paul yet. :wink:

REPUBLICAN PRIMARY April 22, 2008
Closed primary: 74 total delegates*
74 tied to April 22 primary

Pennsylvania
Updated 18 minutes ago

Race Status Candidate Votes Vote % Del* Precincts

McCain 582,645 73% 0 99% reporting
Paul 127,728 16% 0
Huckabee 90,944 11% 0

[quote=“elektronisk”]Hey spook - maybe there is hope for Paul yet. :wink:

REPUBLICAN PRIMARY April 22, 2008
Closed primary: 74 total delegates*
74 tied to April 22 primary

Pennsylvania
Updated 18 minutes ago

Race Status Candidate Votes Vote % Del* Precincts

McCain 582,645 73% 0 99% reporting
Paul 127,728 16% 0
Huckabee 90,944 11% 0[/quote]

It’s like watching a corpse twitch. That’s why all the neotraitors have abandoned this thread and are over in the Democratic Primaries thread looking for another host to infect.

Spook is sounding like one of Barrack Husseins ‘typical bitter white people.’

McCain carried Pennsylvania. Will he do so in Indiana?

Barak is actually a form of the Hebrew word baruch. So if someone asks you if you voted for Obama, just say, “No. D’jew?”

Anyone who isn’t mad as hell about the wretched state the United States is in these days is either stupid or never cared about the country and what it stands for in the first place.

RNC and John McCain Condemn Anti-Obama TV Ad; Hillary Clinton Mum

[i]"This morning the North Carolina Republican Party introduced a TV ad against Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., using images and sound from his controversial former pastor, Rev. Jeremiah Wright.
(Okay, technically the ad is against Democratic gubernatorial candidates, but only nominally. It’s clear purpose it to tag Obama as “extreme.”)
“For 20 years, Barack Obama sat in his pew listening to his pastor,” the narrator says. Cue Rev. Wright and his “God d— America” sermon.
The ad then mentions Democratic candidates Bev Perdue and Richard Moore, who have endorsed Obama.
“They should know better,” the narrator says. “He’s just too extreme for North Carolina.”

"I asked the campaign of Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., what they made of the ad.

“John McCain strongly rejects this ad and the type of politics that degrades our civics,” spokeswoman Jill Hazelbaker immediately responded. “From the beginning of this process McCain has expressed his intent to run a respectful campaign based on the issues, and we have repeatedly called for all parties to follow his lead.”

Within a few hours, McCain had written a letter to the chair of the North Carolina GOP, Linda Daves, saying, “From the beginning of this election, I have been committed to running a respectful campaign based upon an honest debate about the great issues confronting America today. I expect all state parties to do so as well. The television advertisement you are planning to air degrades our civics and distracts us from the very real differences we have with the Democrats. In the strongest terms, I implore you to not run this advertisement.”

McCain said that the ad “does not live up to the very high standards we should hold ourselves to in this campaign. We need to run a campaign that is worthy of the people we seek to serve. There is no doubt that we will draw sharp contrasts with the Democrats on fundamental issues critical to the future course of our country. But we need not engage in political tactics that only seek to divide the American people. Once again, it is imperative that you withdraw this offensive advertisement.”

Republican National Committee spokesman Danny Diaz issued a statement condemning the ad as well.

“Senator McCain has been very clear that he expects to run a respectful campaign based on the critical issues confronting the nation,” Diaz said. “The RNC has been in contact with the NC GOP and communicated that we do not believe the ad is appropriate or helpful and have asked that they refrain from running it.”[/i]

McCain takes the ‘high road’ and hopes this will (a) set a standard for clean campaigning (b) know that even with his condemnation of the ad, it will sway some to vote for Hillary! rather than Barrack © position his campaign, and ergo himself, as a politician who follows a moral code rather than just espousing one (pardon me while I LMFAO) (d) hope this will attract more independents/undecided to his vote.

Maybe a good move on McCains part.

Certainly a good move on McCain’s part. Part of the reason I’d love to see a general campaign between McCain and Obama.

Some interesting comments from Rick Davis, John McCain’s campaign manager, on the cracks in Obama’s coalition.

marcambinder.theatlantic.com/arc … _obama.php

It’s too bad the Republicans didn’t nominate McCain 8 years ago. The world would be in better shape today if he or Gore had been in office, rather than the drunken cheerleader.

[quote=“NYT”]Senator John McCain took direct aim at the Bush administration on Thursday as he stood in the lower Ninth Ward of New Orleans, the area hardest hit by Hurricane Katrina in 2005, and declared that “never again will a disaster of this nature be handled in the terrible and disgraceful way that it was handled.”

Mr. McCain, who was on the fourth day of a tour of America’s “forgotten places” to try to prove that he is a compassionate Republican, ticked off a long list of mistakes: “There was unqualified people in charge, there was a total misreading of the dimensions of the disaster, there was a failure of communications.”

Asked at an outdoor news conference if he traced the failure of leadership straight to the top, Mr. McCain, who has vowed to campaign with President Bush, said, emphatically, “yes.”[/quote]

And this has what to do with the 2008 US Republican presidential campaign?
I wasn’t aware that John McCain was even running for the Presidential nomination in 2000.

You don’t like President Bush…so what? There is a thread created specifically for BDS ‘victims.’

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]And this has what to do with the 2008 US Republican presidential campaign?
I wasn’t aware that John McCain was even running for the Presidential nomination in 2000.[/quote]

1. Your lack of awareness is unsurprising.
  2. Many people, more politically aware and informed than yourself, regretting the error made 8 years ago may make another by voting for McCain now. Unfortunately, his moment has passed.

Not liking’s beside the point; the man’s a dangerous fool. His ideological blinders have cost lives. That matters, does it not?

A response to some of the ‘smoke screens that are covering hit job journalism’ on McCain.

[quote]McCain’s Pension
By INVESTOR’S BUSINESS DAILY | Posted Wednesday, April 23, 2008 4:20 PM PT

The Press: When it comes to smearing John McCain, the mainstream media don’t sleep. Now it’s “raising questions” about the disability pension he got for torture injuries as a prisoner of war. Where’s the shame?

Hard to believe, but true. The industrious beavers who “raise questions” about McCain’s fitness for the presidency, citing his $58,000 disability pension, are this time from the Los Angeles Times.

First, the Times’ April 22 hit piece implied that, since McCain is in good enough shape to walk across the Grand Canyon, there’s something dishonest about his tax-free disability pension. Second, it implied that McCain must be too handicapped to be president at all.

Did they do any research on this? Like, oh, noticing the aforementioned McCain Grand Canyon crossing? In a word, no.

This follows another piece from the New York Times that raised questions about McCain’s qualifications for the presidency because he was born at a U.S. military base in Panama.

See a pattern? It’s as if McCain’s years of honorable military service to our country have been reduced to merely a digging ground for the media’s bid to discredit him. Not surprising — ever since the Vietnam War itself, the media have held the military in contempt.

Let’s go over again why McCain got that pension in the first place.

McCain was a Navy fighter pilot. He was seriously injured after being shot down over Hanoi in 1966 and spent 5 1/2 years in a hellish communist prison.

The Vietnamese communists twisted his broken arms behind his back and denied him medical treatment. They tried to force him to sign statements betraying his country. He also had to endure forced visits from traitorous anti-war peaceniks.

In severe pain, McCain repeatedly refused early release to avoid becoming a propaganda tool of the enemy and to ensure that his men were freed first. After his 1973 release, he spent years in physical therapy to gain the limited mobility he now has.

His $58,000 pension is paltry compared with the price he paid.

No constitutional limits exist on disabled people serving as president. Nor does “disabled” mean “unable” — some disabled even hike the Grand Canyon. Raising such “fitness” questions in any other context would rightly be denounced as “able-ist” bigotry.

So why do the media do this? Raising questions without reporting answers is a bid to sow doubt. And against honorable service to one’s country, such questions are a smoke screen for a hit job.
IBD[/quote]

Personally, his being reminded of 5 1/2 years of hell everyday…every time he tries to raise his arms…I don’t think that money is near enough…but thats just my opinion.

He has other areas to explore that are much more relevant.