2011 Costco Thread!

Let’s get this started right.

The Costco in Taichung just started offering pure peanut butter under their label. The only ingredients are peanuts and salt. Woot woot.

That’s great - now maybe they could train their people to stop jerking my cart out of my hands as we come off the escalator. I understand why they feel they need to do it, but damn it’s annoying - how about you help me if I need it instead of just yarding my basket out of my hands?

the trick is to just take your hands off, take a few steps back and let them pull the cart away from you…they’ll be happy and so will you, they can pull as hard as they want…they actually have to do it due to liability concerns…every year there is someone that falls down and sues for millions of $$ …huge liability…

Yep, haven’t you seen all the news reports about how crowded these places are, how little distance between cars, how easily is that someone gets hurt? :cactus: :unamused:
There is an accident at least once a week that shows up on the news…:loco: :stuck_out_tongue:

that’s bizarre…

anybody know when the Tainan Costco is FINALLY gonna get built?

Tainan costco is being built at the moment . It’s meant to open in June.

I was in the Kaohsiung Costco last week. I’d been in for about 10 minutes and the back of my heel had been clipped about 12 times! That 12th time just about undid me and I whipped around to yell at the poor woman behind me. If it weren’t for the cart between us, and the terrified look on her face, I could have done something I regretted.

I left without shopping though, because I decided that there was simply a very unsafe number of people in the building. If there had been a fire, or earthquake, or something, there would have been a lot of very hurt people.

I don’t understand why they allow the store to go so FAR over capacity. They have people posted to check your card on the way in, and be sure you’re not steeling anything on the way out; couldn’t they keep a rough count too, and do a little crowd controle?

Send them a friendly letter threatening to file a lawsuit and see if they change their policies :slight_smile:

And wait, the Tainan Costco is on Wenxian Rd, right?

Is there a list of where all these new Costcos are going to be built? I remember reading a while back that a massive expansion was planned - and I’m hoping for a branch, oh, somewhere near the MRT line that extends from Taipei Main Station to Danshui. (I still find it absurd that of three Costcos near Taipei, none are easily accessible from the MRT.)

They’re looking for the highest number of people to fill up their trunks and buy in volume…You (or any other public transportation cruiser) aren’t even a momentary blip on their radar.

I heard a rumor that they were going to build one in Shipai, where they demolished the old market, as part of a 35 story building supposed to be going up there. The costco people I know hadn’t heard about it though.

I’m looking forward to possibly getting some new items available this year at Cost Co. I’m always on the look out for new offerings. Unfortunately for my wife and I, a lot of the things we like end up being items discontinued or no longer available. I’m still pissed at losing a lot of the imported sausages and sandwich meats a few years ago. The locally made imitations of them are very disappointing.

One of the escalator cart grabbers wasn’t quick enough and the cart in front of me toppled. No one was behind us though, so we were able to walk backwards until they got it out of the way. Had I a cart of my own, or had there been one behind me, some damage would have been done to a few of us. Now I get why they are there yanking the cart off the lip of the escalator and I always say thank you.

Organic peanut butter is in. No added crap. Yay!

This is truly not intended to sound dirty, but what are you doing with that organic peanut butter? Toast? Baking? I like peanut butter, but don’t seem to go through it so quickly.

It’s very good for making peanut butter cookies.

I heard a rumor that they were going to build one in Shipai, where they demolished the old market, as part of a 35 story building supposed to be going up there. The costco people I know hadn’t heard about it though.[/quote]

Last I heard was there are outlets on the board for Tainan, Hsinchu and Taoyuan for this year. They do have a plan to expand extensively over the next couple years, so you could be right about another for the Taipei area.

Make peanut butter sandwiches. Several a day.

[quote=“kage”]One of the escalator cart grabbers wasn’t quick enough and the cart in front of me toppled. No one was behind us though, so we were able to walk backwards until they got it out of the way. Had I a cart of my own, or had there been one behind me, some damage would have been done to a few of us. Now I get why they are there yanking the cart off the lip of the escalator and I always say thank you.

Organic peanut butter is in. No added crap. Yay![/quote]

I wished they:

1. Either put smaller carts, as these huge beasts are really asking for trouble if/when fully loaded

2. And/OR put a pulley system like they have at RT-Mart in Civil Boulevard, where the carts go practically at 85 degeees but are securely engaged so they won’t fall, thanks to a special track and hook system -not just grooves on the floor.

Make peanut butter sandwiches. Several a day.[/quote]

Yeah, grab a couple of big bottles of tabasco for them while you’re there.

I heard a rumor that they were going to build one in Shipai, where they demolished the old market, as part of a 35 story building supposed to be going up there. The costco people I know hadn’t heard about it though.[/quote]

Last I heard was there are outlets on the board for Tainan, Xinzhu (Hsinchu) and Taoyuan for this year. They do have a plan to expand extensively over the next couple years, so you could be right about another for the Taipei area.[/quote]

It’s amazing isn’t it, Costco goes from strength to strength while Tesco bombed although it had food in more convenient portions.I go to Costco and I just feel like a twat with a shopping trolley the size of a tank with about three items in there. The Costco in Taichung is packed everyday, God knows what people actually buy beyond pizzas and hotdogs (quite a few restaurant owners do use it but I don’t know the ratio between enterprise and regular customers). Maybe Tesco didn’t invest enough at the start or didn’t put in some type of ‘attractions’ for Taiwanese, like fast food or foreign goods or vitamins. Or maybe there is no middle market in Taiwan…it’s all 7-11s and Hypermarkets (well Matsusei does very well with good quality fresh stuff).