2018 HP Pavilion better than before? Is this a good configuration?

HP Pavilion 15.6"
i7 8550U (ck021Tx) 1.8GHz, turbo up to 4.0GHz, 2400MHz/8MB Cache
FHD WLED (1920x1080) Resolution (No Touch Screen)
16G Ram (8Gx2) DDR4 2400 (Is it maxed out at 16G?)
1TB HDD
256 SSD
Intel UHD Graphics 620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 2GB DDR5
B&O Play Audio
win10
The price is 37,500 NT

This configuration appears to me to be better than the basic set up of the “Higher End” HP Envy and Elite Book, Those only come with an SSD or just an HDD. They also don’t have a number pad and the graphics card seems less powerful on those.

1. Is HP now making the Pavilion with an aluminum build or plastic?

2. Did HP do away with the optical drive on Pavilions for 2018? I don’t need it and don’t want it.

3. The HP Pavilion Power has the exact same configuration except it is an i7 7700HQ. Is the 8550U just as good as the 7700HQ?

4. The Pavilion Power also has The Nvidia GTX 1050 4G. Is that a significant step up from the MX150 2G? Should I really be concerned about this?

5. Is This setup on the Pavilion a poor, good or great configuration?

What I will use it for:

• MS PPTs with video and graphics.
  • MS Word - Lot of document writing.
  • MS Excel - *Lots of data entry, which is why I like the Pavilion over the Envy. The Pavilion is the only one that has a number keypad.
  • Adobe Photoshop, light to moderate photo and graphics editing.
  • Skype video conferencing
  • Watching Netflix while traveling
  • Light to moderate gaming: Xcom 2, Miecraft, Divinity Original Sin 2, Out of the Park Baseball

I want a laptop that is not too heavy, an aluminum build (not plastic), has a number key pad, boots up fast (under 15 seconds), can run Photoshop while surfing the internet and having MS Office applications open at the same time…A multi-tasking machine without slowdown.

That graphics card is poor, you want a 10 series Nvidia in it.

GTX 1060 would be ideal for longevity or if you find a game you really like but needs higher GPU specs.

1 Like

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. But the 1060 seems to only be available in gaming rigs, which up the price by 10 to 15k. If I am willing to sacrifice an i7 for an i5, then I can keep it at about the same price. I just don’t want to do that, an i7 7th or 8th gen is a must.

Do you have any suggestions for a laptop that meets the same specs but has a 1060?

https://24h.pchome.com.tw/prod/DHAK4D-19008GDZ7

This says it can be upgraded to 32GB ram.

i7 7700. GTX 1060.

1060 comes in 3gb version and 6gb version too. So that is one thing to keep in mind.

Costco is selling an Asus ROG (republic of gaming) laptop in their store. Don’t see it online and I didn’t look too closely at it to know the specs, but I want to say it was also around 37,000 NT. Might be worth heading over to check it out.

Thanks for the suggestion.
It has good specs, but I have read nothing but terrible reviews about MSI laptops. People say quite often that the build quality is garbage. All plastic and they tend to fall apart after a year. Can anyone confirm this?

Oh shit, I always thought MSI had really good products in all different aspects.

I currently have a 1080 Ti MSI gpu in my desktop PC o.O

https://24h.pchome.com.tw/prod/DHAG6M-A90085TOE

Comes with some nice gifts, mouse, mouse pad, keyboard and backpack and maybe another stick of 8gb ram?

So I guess the gaming range is HP OMEN

1050Ti is def better than what your original laptop posted, but 8gb ram is not on your wishlist and I am not sure if you can upgrade to 16 >

The 1060 version is pretty damn expensive

I do know that a 3GB 1060 out perfroms a 4GB 1050Ti, so don’t let that fool you.

1 Like