2019 August Bike rides out of Keelung

I’ll be taking some rides out of Keelung in a couple weeks Aug3-14, and would like to find some folks to ride with. It would be nice to find someone who is familiar with the area around Keelung and can recommend routes or ride together.

Where in Keelung will you be starting from?

This 7/11 is close to where I’ll stay:
No. 196號, Shenmei Street, Xinyi District, Keelung City, Taiwan 201
across from Jiaoyubuyongxuxiaoyuan_jilongshishenmei Elementary School

教育部永續校園_基隆市深美國民小學

It is near the intersection of the 102 and Jiaozhong Street

Have an enjoyable and safe ride!

Oh, that was harsh. Sarcasm and schadenfreude in the same sentence!

OP, try riding out the 106 to Shifen, see the waterfalls, turn left to follow the 2 to Shuangxi (avoid the tunnel, using the longer steeper North 38 road), and then back to Keelung via Jiufen on the 102.

stick to the side of the road, give way to everything, don’t assume anyone will give way to you ever, even if they see you coming. and drink lots!

enjoy!

Or, go southwest and climb that big mountain thingie. Those smaller farmer’s roads are better, much more scenic and less traffic, as long as you have phone with data and maps… really easy to get lost for days up there.

You got a name for that thingy? I see the teapot mt east of Jiufen. Do you mean Wufenshan?

No, that’s a baby in comparison. I guess the mountain I am referring to is more west than south west from Keelung.

The whole mountain group is known as Yang Ming Shan, but the individual peaks therein have their own names. The highest is Datunshan, at 1120 m or something. That’s available going up the awesome 101 to Balaka, from the river mouth at Taipei at Tamshui. (various spellings of the place names will confuse you on maps, 3-4 variations on the same map are not unheard of!). beautiful forests on the way up.

turn right at the little car park at the top, and battle up through 15%+ gradients to the peak.

then head down the 2(Branch) back to Jinshan, and turn right to go home when you hit the coast.

That’s perhaps a 3 - 5 hour ride, depending on your fitness.

(Edited to show more realistic times of 3-5 hours!)

3-5 hours from his location to Yang Ming Shan and back? More like 4-6 in this heat. We’re not invincible like you Urodacus :rofl:

OP, no rides from me will be starting anywhere near you, but we could always meet halfway to chat at a 7-11 as I frequently ride out to Keelung mountains.

I’ll be picking up my bike tomorrow. Hopefully this break in the 40+ temps extends through next week. Planning to climb up to Jiufen on Thur.

Word of advice.

Leave early. Not too much shaded going up Jiufen and the road up gets super busy with cars and buses because of the old street.

So far I’ve had a short ride down to Raifong from Keelong that didn’t record properly and a short buzz home from a restaurant. Here is my first proper ride. We had a great time in Yangmingshan.
Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/6c9NaSmcXY

Had a fun ride up and back down again from Jiufen old town. Best part of weekday riding is that I was passed by all of 4 cars on the way up, and three of those were in the last 600m after turning onto 102

1 Like

No rain out in Keelung from the typhoon?

I enjoyed a couple cooling showers but it was never heavy. I got home under sunny skies. Too bad people watch the weather too closely, I had one person bail due to the news last night. They missed a good ride.

Keelung ride to Yangmingshan tomorrow Sat. Aug. 10 via the coast. Message me if you’d like to join. I’ll head up 2 from Jinshan

Tempting, but not sure how the weather is going to fair or how the mtn roads will look after the typhoon.

Be sure to take it easy going up and down!

I know exactly what the weather will do. It will be hot, it’ll be windy, and it will rain some.

I was only partially correct; it was hot and Very windy, but no rain.

20190810_092310

Check out my activity on Strava: 63.8 mi Ride Activity on August 10, 2019 by Lucas B. on Strava

I saw about two dozen other riders along my route. Had some company from a friendly rider on his way back over to Taipei. He caught up to me not far outside Jinshan when I stopped for a video of a monkey. We rode up together as far as the 101 intersection.

1 Like