2020 : My journey towards getting Taiwanese Citizenship for myself and my infant daughter

Correct! We have already provided the agent with a simple letter of authority signed by both me and my wife. On the call they assumed my daughter was an adult (probably looking to marry a Taiwanese) which is why they asked for an SPA (special power of attorney) which can only be signed at the embassy here, so I explained to them why it wasn’t possible. They agreed on this in the end.

FYI, Even in normal circumstances TECO in Philippines doesn’t handle CENOMAR authentications like normal documents. They always want more information. Since CENOMAR is typically for marriage (more often than not to a Taiwanese) they will ask for an interview, as well as filling out a “special” form.

Back in 2017, when I was trying to get married here in Taiwan, TECO Philippines refuse to authenticate my wife’s CENOMAR.

They gave her this list of questions. and wanted me to travel from Taiwan to Manila to attend their interview. This was even after I TOLD them I was not a Taiwanese national. They still didn’t believe it. I was forced to bring BOCA into it and they had TECO Manila waive this requirement in our case.

On the other hand TECO in Riyadh refused to authenticated my single certificate too, and asked that the “future spouse” + myself visit them in Riyadh for an interview. They too didn’t believe me when I told them I wasn’t planning to marry a Taiwanese. Again only after intervention of BOCA Taipei, did they waive the requirement.

4 Likes

Very logical… until you remember that quite a few countries have literally no minimum age for marriage. :eek:

1 Like

Correct! That’s the same point that MOI argued. That’s why they said they require a “single/unmarried certificate” for all minors regardless of age, in order to qualify for “accompanied naturalization” with a parent.

I tried to get an exemption based on the fact that Philippines DOES have minimum age requirement (18 years), and my daughter only holds Philippines citizenship and was born in Taiwan and had never left Taiwan. But they still insisted on “proof”.

Their argument then was, as long as your country doesn’t have a law preventing the issuance of a “single certificate” to infants/toddlers, then it is still required.

1 Like

It’s time for a BIG PROGRESS UPDATE! (PART 1):

By early January, 2021, the suckiest part of the process was done, which was getting my daughter’s “single certificate” and my own “police clearance certificate”. I was now ready to apply for naturalization, but first…

<< Pre-requisite 0 : Authentication, Translation and Notarization >>

I took both documents to MOFA office in Kaohsiung to get them re-authenticated (prior authentication having been done by a TECO)

After completing MOFA Taiwan authentication, I took the documents to an English-speaking public notary in Kaohsiung (this one, if you are interested : Google Maps ). Two days later both documents had been translated to Chinese and notarized. It cost about 1500 NT+ per document.

There were two more tasks I needed to complete BEFORE going in for application submission :
1. Passing Naturalization Exam OR providing a certificate of 200 hours of Chinese study
2. Going to the post office to send money orders of 1200NT$ x 2 to the Ministry of Interior

<< Pre-requisite 1 : Preparing for The Exam >>

The HHRO office had provided me with a list of places offering Chinese lessons, along with their timings. But given that I could only take classes after work, and there were only a few hours offered each week, I estimated that it would take me 6 months to get the certificate, plus I didn’t want to give up the few hours I get to spend with my daughter each day. So I decided to go for the exam route.

There were 252 questions provided to learn for the exam. All in Chinese. So, I devised a plan to crack it. In total I spent about 100 hours over 10 days (not consecutively) to create a guide that’d help me to pass. It was a complex task that involved extracting all the Chinese content from the PDF file provided by HHRO, then organizing everything in to an excel sheet, then google translating everything in to English and finally using a whole bunch of formulas/analytics to look for patterns etc…

I have since shared the guide with all Forumosans. Here’s a link to that post : Cracking the Naturalization Exam - 2020 Edition

Once the guide was ready, I took 20 mock exams online to verify that the guide worked. IT DID!

<< Pre-requisite 2 : Sending Money Order to MOI >>

I went to a nearby post office with the following information printed on a piece of paper :

• 申請項目 (Application Project)
    歸化國籍 (Naturalized Nationality)

• 申請原因 (Reason for Application)
    自願歸化 (Voluntary Naturalization)

• 證書規費新臺幣1,200元 (請以 郵政匯票 繳交,受款人: 內政部 )。
    (The certificate fee is NT$1,200 (need to pay for postal order, payee : Ministry of Interior)

After a bit of struggle with communication, the postal office worker took the money and processed it. In the end he said something in Chinese, which I made out to be, “congratulations”… something something… “you MUST learn how to speak Chinese”.

Touché :zipper_mouth_face:

I left feeling happy at the completion of the task yet also feeling somewhat embarrassed, because the old man was right. It feels undeserving to get citizenship of a country whose language I can’t speak. I bet locals in another country e.g. US would also feel upset giving me a citizenship if I weren’t able to speak any English.

Someday! I promise myself that I’ll fix this! I will learn Chinese!

<< The Day of the Application >>

Funny Story :

I had to apply for a work leave in order to go to the HHRO office for my exam. When I told my boss, he was very concerned about the exam, given my shitty Chinese. So, I had him attempt the online mock exam together with me. My boss is a mature guy with law & business degrees. No doubt, he’s quite proficient in his own native language. Yet, somehow I always picked the correct answer before him, sometimes in <2 seconds after a question would pop up.

After two consecutive exam attempts together, my boss got up and said, "I am 100% sure my Chinese is much better than you. So, I am absolutely sure you are not even reading the questions. How are you doing this ? ". Later , after I explained, he went around the whole office telling everyone this entertaining story about how I cracked the exam. :joy:

After arriving at HHRO and saying your prayers (to the deity of your choice - ‘Ancient Aliens’ in my case), I proceeded to submit two sets of documents for the ‘naturalization applications’. :

For Myself, I only submitted these :

• My ARC
    合法有效之外僑居留證或外僑永久居留證。

• Police Clearance Certificate (from Country of Origin)
    原屬國政府核發之警察紀錄證明或其他相關證明文件。

• Proof of Self-support (Last income tax statement + last month’s pay slip)
    相當之財產或專業技能,足以自立,或生活保障無虞之證明。

• I took the Naturalization exam right there and then. Passed it with 80% score.
    具備歸化取得我國國籍者基本語言能力及國民權利義務基本常識證明文件。

• One passport-size photo (white background)
    最近2年內所拍攝正面彩色脫帽相片1張

• Original receipt of 1200NT$ money order in the name of MOI (Ministry of Interior)
    請以郵政匯票繳交,受款人:內政部

And for my daughter, the following :

• Her ARC
    合法有效之外僑居留證或外僑永久居留證。

• Her single certificate (from Country of Origin)
    婚姻狀況證明 。

• Proof of Parent-Child relationship (Her Birth Certificate)

• My Marriage Certificate to correlate the parent names with the Birth Certificate
    出生證明或其他親子關係相關身分證明文件 如法院判決書及確定證明書等 。

• One passport-size photo (white background)
    最近2年內所拍攝正面彩色脫帽相片1張

• Original receipt of 1200NT$ money order in the name of MOI (Ministry of Interior)
    請以郵政匯票繳交,受款人:內政部

Above are the only documents that I handed to them. But there were three additional documents that they printed/prepared and offered to me, to sign.

• They entered all our data in to the system and printed two forms that I needed to sign :

• Application form for voluntary Naturalization (Form 4)
      歸化國籍申請書(表4)。
    • Application form for Naturalization of accompanying minors (Form 1)
      歸化國籍申請書(表 1 )。
  • “Agreement of legal representative” had to be signed by both me and my wife. It basically says that both parents agree to let the minor apply for Taiwanese Naturalization.
    (法定代理人同意證明)

And…That’s it! The application was successfully completed!

One minor issue worth mentioning : I was concerned that being on regular work ARC (2 years) + Gold Card ARC (3 years) would become an issue but luckily it didn’t. The thing that became an issue was the new ID number. I had recently updated my ARC to the new number format and it seems their systems weren’t updated yet. The lady there spend a good amount of time calling Taipei several times, asking which ID number to put in forms / system etc.

After 30 minutes of uncertainty they finally went with the new ID number format.

BIG PROGRESS UPDATE! (PART 2):

Our application was submitted on 18th January, 2021. About three months later on 8th April, 2021 I picked up both our certificates of Nationality from the HHRO office.

These certificates were quite beautiful.

On the drive back to the office I kinda… sorta shed some tears, mixed in with bursts of laughter (kinda like Jesse when he escaped in El Camino in the season finale).

jesse-pinkman-breaking-bad-final

I could not believe it. It took me 35 years.

Next step…

<< TARC Application >>

I went to the Immigration Office in Kaohsiung (it’s on the 5th floor of the same building with MOFA in it).

Note: These certificates come with an additional data page (all in Chinese), basically a summary of your entire application and the grounds on which you were given Taiwanese nationality. This document is absolutely essential when applying for a TARC .

For myself, I submitted the following :

• An application form for Taiwan Area residence card (all in Chinese)
    中華民國臺灣地區入境居留定居申請書

• Certificate of Naturalization along with the data page (show the original and provide a copy)

• One photo (passport size)

• Lease Agreement (if you are renting a place) (show the original and provide a copy)

• (Optional) Recent utility bills you have paid for that address (show original and provide a copy)
  • A fee of 1000NT$, paid in cash

Note : It’s very important that you figure out Chinese names for your parents when filling your application form. English names will not be accepted. Don’t worry, no proof is needed for the Chinese names. You can write whatever you like.

I still can’t believe I had to open a “Chinese Baby Names” website to name my OWN parents. I still haven’t told them :laughing:

For my daughter, I submitted the following :

• An application form for Taiwan Area residence card (all in Chinese)
    中華民國臺灣地區入境居留定居申請書

• Certificate of Naturalization along with the data page (show the original and provide a copy)

• One photo (passport size)

• Birth Certificate (show the original and provide a copy)

• Consent for minor (need to be signed by both parents in-person)
    定居同意書

• A fee of 1000NT$, paid in cash

It will take about 10 working days (2 weeks) for us to receive our TARCs. I am currently one week in.

That’s all for now! I will update once we get our TARCs and successfully apply for NWOHR passports.

After that there’ll be only one step remaining i.e. renunciation of our original citizenships.

21 Likes

Very touching story. Goes to show, persistence wins. Look forward to further updates! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

If I were going to take the test, I’d just go the traditional route of boning up on the material, but for someone with limited Chinese ability this is pretty brilliant. And cracking exams is such a Taiwanese thing…they should grant you citizenship on this basis alone!

10 Likes

Congratulations! :tada:

That’s not surprising. The new ID fiasco is everywhere.

This is gold!

5 Likes

This is probably like the best post ever.

7 Likes

I’m very happy for you, @Fuzzy_Barbecue!
It shouldn’t be that difficult, but I’m glad to see you didn’t give up!
Congratulations!

3 Likes

Thank you all for the support and motivation. This helps me to keep coming back to give progress updates, which I hope will help other Forumosans in the future.

BIG PROGRESS UPDATE! (PART 2)… continued :

<< Getting the TARC >>

They said 10 working days but in fact it was ready in 6. They sent an SMS to tell me it was ready.

I went to immigration but strangely was turned away from ARC pick up counter. I was told to submit an ARC application again.

The form was easy to fill. I handed them the form + my old ARC and they gave me the TARC. (Note : You don’t need to provide any additional documents or photos along with the form. They just need the data).

On getting the TARC they specifically told me to get a Taiwanese Passport and to ONLY use that to exit/enter Taiwan from now onwards.

The TARC looks just like a regular ARC. There are some differences though. They removed “Nationality” and “Passport Number”. And added “Place of Birth”, “Name of Spouse” (not sure why) and a “Date of Approval”.

On the back, luckily they printed my original ARC number which should help me in a few places still.

Some of the wording on the back was changed too. It now says that an R.O.C passport needs to be used along with this ARC for entry and exit.

I got my daughter’s TARC the same way too. Weird enough there is a “Name of Spouse” field printed on her TARC too but it’s blank.

<< NWOHR Passport Application >>

To apply for the passport you need to go to MOFA. Not sure about other cities but in Kaohsiung they are in the same building (Immigration is on 5th floor while MOFA is on 3rd).

To apply for Taiwanese passport, I submitted the following for myself :

• Taiwan Passport Application form (all in Chinese)
    中華民國普通護照申請書(供國人在國外或在臺無戶籍國民在國內填用)

• Two recent passport-size photographs (white background and not more than 6 months old)

• Current passport and TARC (showed the originals and provided a copy of each)

• Certificate of Naturalization (showed the original and provided a copy)

• 1300 NT$ in cash

For my daughter, I submitted the following :

• Taiwan Passport Application form (all in Chinese)
    中華民國普通護照申請書(供國人在國外或在臺無戶籍國民在國內填用)

• Two recent passport-size photographs (white background and not more than 6 months old)

• Current passport and TARC (showed the originals and provided a copy of each)

• Certificate of Naturalization (showed the original and provided a copy)

• Proof of relationship ( a copy of my TARC, a copy of her Taiwanese birth certificate, and a copy of the data-page that came with her Naturalization Certificate)

• 900 NT$ in cash

Important Note : You must apply for the passport in person. I didn’t realize this until they turned me away for my daughter’s application. They said I needed to show them the “baby”. The next day I returned with my daughter and it only took a minute. They just looked at her face, smiled and stamped the papers.

Once both applications were submitted they told me to come back a week later (5 working days). On going back the following week, they asked me to remove my mask first. After seeing my quirky smile they handed me the passport.

Lo and behold! The new Taiwan passport!! Just an incredible feeling holding it for the first time. It seemed really well made (compared to my other one). And the words “Taiwan” on the cover gave me a really warm fuzzy feeling in the stomach.

My photo is printed thrice inside in case I forget myself ( :sweat_smile: it’s probably a security measure though )

Another thing that’s interesting (for me at least) is that each page has a picture of a popular landmark in Taiwan e.g. this one from Kaohsiung is on page 48/49.

I went through each page and made a note of some of the places I haven’t visited yet. That’ll probably keep me busy for the next 12 months.

Now that I have everything I need, I will focus on the renunciation process, which might take about 6 months.

I strongly recommend others who are naturalizing to get an NWOHR passport (even though it’s optional). It takes a total of 5 working days to get. Benefits of the passport include :

1. Showing off
  2. Emergency travel
  3. Secondary proof of being a Taiwanese National
15 Likes

What is the name written on the passport, your original name or the English translation of your Chinese name?

1 Like

Goooood job man. Just in time to defend the Island for the upcoming invasion :rofl:

4 Likes

It’s my original English name, the same one as my TARC.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply… I was hoping to get something shorter, my legal name is long AF and always have issues with flight tickets.

I’d be happy to stay and fight for Taiwan. Right now, I am more worried about how to get through the military training without Chinese. :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, I think they may not let you change your English name, but you can ask. In my case they carefully compared the English name with my old passport.

Here’s a sample form for your reference :

https://www.boca.gov.tw/dl-2640-cb223db69ef145aa8784095f940a330c.html

They specifically say under the “English Name” that it has to be the same one as on your other passport.

2 Likes

you shouldn’t worry about getting enrolled into military conscription if you’re 35 years of age and above.

26 letters here :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

My “official” DOB is 21, July, 1986, which makes me 34 and 9 months. I will be eligible for conscription by April, 2023, which will be my 36th year, so I suppose I might not be able to escape it. :unamused:

My worry is limited to Chinese language only, not the training itself. I don’t mind doing military service. I think it would be a good experience (better than the monotonous office life).

I just hope I can have conversational Chinese by 2022.

1 Like

I think your bigger worries might be the corruption that may come up in the ROC military. But since you come from a different background you might be able to use it to your advantage and help others to get out of situations when bullied (like the 洪仲丘 incident).