2020 USA Presidential Elections Latest

If you don’t like creepy joe or Dumf.

“I am appalled that the United States ranks number one in the world for having the highest percentage of people imprisoned. I am also appalled that the federal government permits police to seize a person’s assets without first convicting them of a crime, and then keep most of the assets seized. This is literally highway robbery. As President, I will use my Constitutional authority to end federal civil asset forfeiture prior to conviction, and pardon persons convicted of non-violent victimless crimes. I will also work with Congress to end the failed War on Drugs and other victimless crime laws.”

President, I will work to eliminate the Department of Education and return control of education to where it belongs – with parents, teachers, and students.”

OK. BUt she just said:

The Department of Education has failed. In the forty years since the Department of Education was created, government spending on education has skyrocketed, while the quality of education has declined.

That kinda includes the parents of present students. So give unilateral decision making power to an adult population with a shitty education? Kinds like lighting all the fireworks at once.

Jo is a woman.

I would take parent and teachers vs the government. I would never send my kids to public school in the US after begging my parents to send me to a private school for HS. And I went to a really good school district, one of the best in the country. Besides the social aspect, it was lacking. My math went from 2 grades ahead of kids in the US when I arrived to sub par in public education, and some of that is on me. But it sucked, especially if you are someone who is above average in intellect.

I can only imagine what it’s like in underfunded schools.

Maybe…I’d say “more well-behaved.”

1 Like

I’m not saying I 100% agree with her, she will need to explain what she wants to do in education more. You can’t just get ride of the Department of Education and replace it with nothing as a plan.

How about keep that department but remove all the grievance studies courses that are essentially producing bitter people in debt who apply for Starbucks jobs?

1 Like

I would honestly be more open to heavily subsidized college tuitions If it’s only for useful fields and capped for some of the more useless ones. In a perfect world, that would be ideal as how many communications degree or women’s studies Degrees do we really need?

But we don’t live in a perfect world, and i don’t trust the idiots running education to make that kind of practical choice.

The education system will almost inevitably be problematic (he) because one of the main pillars of political control is to define the narrative that is taught in schools. After the second World War was over in Europe there was a fairly massive change of the political class in charge, with some countries changing whole political systems. The majority of the central/eastern block turned out to be fairly sympathetic with the Soviet Union. The result of that is that for many decades very few people, possibly none, were taught in school about any of the communist revolutions in the USSR, china, Cuba etc etc. You made it to WW2, “Nazis bad, Fascists bad, the US helped…but it was the Soviets that saved the day!!1 Look, they also sent a dog in space!! They’re pretty cool, right? Maybe we should be more like them! Big state = good! Ok that’s all for history class, nothing else ever happened anywhere else, byez”.

When some politicians get their hands on the instruction system they start to fill it with Creationism classes, others will make sure that every University has courses that teach “Wypypo bad, diversity good, capitalism bad, some women have a penis”…so it’s a case of pick your poison, really.

2 Likes

I work in a US university and have never heard anyone in any field of study say anything resembling this or close to it. I wonder what University you’re talking about exactly.

Your president just added 35 million new unemployment cases to the US. Those Starbucks jobs will be hard to come by. Go ahead and try it yourself, I doubt you’d manage that even.

They say it’s not about whether you win or lose, but where you place the blame. I say what really matters is where the blame sticks.

I predict the state governors will take the fall for all this by November. Mostly Dem governors. Especially New York.

Trump’s smartest move right now would be a non-apology apology for the lockdowns, complete with a timeline. Because the timeline is damning to the Dems on both national and state levels, and also to the experts. Trump can position himself as the first one to face reality while the rest were still insisting on the lockdowns. He’s already on record as the last to embrace the lockdowns and the first to embrace the international travel restrictions. His position now is pretty damn good so long as he capitalizes on it effectively. And we know he usually does.

If it has the potential to bring in income, student loans should be enough. If it hasn’t, zilch should be plenty.

Dr. Evil appears on Maddow. What the actual fuck! :astonished:

1 Like

Maybe they all know something he doesn’t.

This outcome would represent simple justice paid to Trump for his heroic accomplishments to date on the US economy. Still, it could prove decisive.

Furman’s [Jason Furman, a top economist in the Obama administration and now a professor at Harvard] argument is not that different from the one made by White House economic advisers and Trump, who have predicted an explosive third quarter, and senior adviser Jared Kushner, who said in late April that “the hope is that by July the country’s really rocking again.” White House officials were thrilled to hear that some of their views have been endorsed by prominent Democrats.

He [Furman] added, “And then toward the end of October, we will get GDP growth for the third quarter, at an annualized rate, and it could be double-digit positive economic growth. So these will be the best jobs and growth numbers ever .”

2 Likes

Record monthly deficits of 737.9 billion

https://www.usnews.com/news/business/articles/2020-05-12/us-government-sees-record-monthly-deficit-of-7379-billion

news.panic

1 Like

Stock markets are forward-looking.
Unemployment rate is high now, true, but a slow trend will start from July (after special unemployment benefits end) in which the number of employed will rise. By Fall, it’ll be hard to run a campaign against that positive trend, if Biden is still around then or remembers what year it is.

2 Likes

I love how sure you guys are about this, to the point that you’ve already penciled it in as fact and given him credit for it. You do realize the extent of unemployment and how far behind the 8 ball the US is economically, right? If I’m worried about anyone’s memory, it ain’t Bidens.

A couple of tv commercials and they’re already repeating the economy is good. Amazing, the power of media.

I think you read way too much into the comment.
I said the employment trend will rise.
But, like always, you…

3 Likes