😷 COVID - [2021] "Good" Quarantine experiences / hotel reviews / ratings / recommendations?

How did he find it? Just curious because I keep googling lists of quarantine hotels (in the event, hopefully not, that I have to fly out and come back when home quarantine is still forbidden) and they are always different from each other :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

What turned out to be a seven days family reunion during the 2019 New year turned into a much bigger Holiday! Went home to meet the family and left on 31st December 2019, decided to stay back for few weeks to do some backpacking, Dad got ill helped him recover, got an interest on yoga and decided to do a yoga course and that’s when the corona struck in India and everything got locked. Didn’t really feel that concerned kept on learning and thought I will be back to Taiwan in a few more weeks time. Weeks turn into months, months into year and a half and in the meanwhile I am teaching yoga (!!!) and manage to fall in love and get married (!!!) and getting back to Taiwan seems tougher than to travel to Europe. So WiFi and I end up in Lithuania and on to Italy, Portugal and France. Now after almost 2 years I am coming back since I have APRC and I have to be back before 2 years run out in order to keep it. Now I am researching for a quarantine hotel which will be cheap (not really working for 2 plus years now; still have some savings left) and large enough for me to teach some online yoga and Vegetarian food (yes that also happened). Any recommendations will be most helpful. And is it possible to get some subsidy (i hold an APRC and mo income for a while now) would be amazing ~ i have tried searching on Google but not really sure if anything is applicable.

P.S. On a side note things look so serious here in Taiwan. I am fully vaccinated BTW and already had delta variant in April earlier when I was still in India. I Europe once I got the digital vaccination certificate there in no need of quarantine when you travel between EU member countries. I hope Taiwan gets its policies a bit more less uptight

The cheapest option is visiting a risk area within 14 days of traveling to Taiwan. Then the government will pay for your stay in a government quarantine facility.

Otherwise, you can also book a place in a government quarantine facility yourself at NT$2000 (I think) per day.

Yes, APRC holders and citizens get a special kind of subsidy which is paid directly to the hotel from what I understand. So you definitely need to ask for this while booking!

Also, if you’re unable to work, you’ll get another subsidy for every day in quarantine.

This will be very difficult as currently I hold a flight ticket from Lithuania to Taipei while transiting at Istanbul and it is quite pricey ~ 550 Euros. Changing it will be quite expensive and there are not too many options to go to any of the high risk countries ~ UK is possible but I don’t have a valid visa for UK (Indian passport with Schengen visa).

Thanks for this info will definitely give it a try and good reminder about the hotel discount :grinning:

How long do you have to stay in the high risk area before you are given free quarantine? If you just have a few hour layover in London would that be enough?

That’s what I did. Stay in London just few hours. If you have European passport taiwanese government can’t check if you actually entered UK or just stayed at the airport because you don’t need passport to enter UK as a European.
Also, I don’t remember to which airport I arrived (edit: it was Stansted), but there was no connection between arrivals and departures gates, so there was no other choice but to leave the no-man’s-land duty-free zones, enter the UK, walk to the departures and enter again. Nobody asked for the hotel reservation, the already payed PCRs… Nothing.

They don’t care - as far as I know, transferring at an airport (without entering the country) also counts as visiting that country in the eyes of the CDC. It even states that on the online entry form where you need to enter which countries you have been to in the last 14 days.

You go into free quarantine even if you transfer in the UK. You don’t have to stay there.

I am in the HOME HOTEL DA’AN right now (Day 2), and it is wonderful! Here are the key points for me:

1. A window that opens, for fresh air. Critical for me if I’m gonna be locked up for 15 days.
  2. Hardwood floor rather than carpet. I feel like it is cleaner that way.
  3. WIFI is good. I was prepared to hotspot off my phone but no need for it here.
    4, I have ample desk space to set up my work station (laptop, second screen, mousepad).
  4. Food has been really good.
  5. Room is very clean and has everything I need, with none of the unnecessary frills.
  6. Bed and pillows are super comfortable.
  7. Staff is very responsive via LINE to requests and inquiries, and I am an English speaker.
  8. Space is good and there is enough room for me to exercise. The staff even provided me with a yoga mat!
  9. Water pressure is great in the shower.

I am really comfortable, I would absolutely stay here again, and I recommend it to everyone.

6 Likes

I just got out from quarantine. Spent my time at Welcome Hotel in Taipei. 家美Hotel手機版中文版

I would definitely recommend it. Rates are reasonable at 3200/day with 3 meals (couple of room types are available). Decent view, nice staff. You’ll have a proper working desk, a single sofa with leg support, bathtub with separate shower and a comfortable bed, proper curtains, very quiet with closed windows also decent light during daytime.
Its around 28sqm so you’ll have enough space to do some exercise inside.

7 Likes

I wanted to book this hotel for my husband but it was full. It sounds like it is worth planning for. Not having a window that opens or a balcony was really tough for 14 days.

2 Likes

This is great to hear. I have a room here (with a balcony in theory) booked for early December. What has the food been like?

Do you need to actually enter the UK? As in get passport stamped?

I already did 20 days quarantine just to get into the country last year, suck it up because it’s already here.

AFAIK no - according to Taiwan’s CDC, transiting also counts as “visiting” and the country has to specified in the COVID entry form in the same field.

S warning from the news: practically all quarantine hotels reserved full from December to Lunar New Year. Yes, already.

So if you are leaving/planning to leave, plan ahead.

4 Likes

:astonished: Not good news for returning friends and family.

Oh crap. I was planning to leave sometime in January. I guess I am screwed.

Does anyone know if you have to pay in advance for the hotel reservation? I am worried of failing the pre departure PCR test for whatever reason.

Anybody have a web link for booking one of the goverment prisons? All I can find is a completely fecking useless website that makes you click through to every single available hotel to find out the price. I’d rather just take pot luck than waste another evening of my life on that.

3 Likes