2022 Municipal Elections

Only 2500 followers. But it’s still a womqn I could get behind.

I was out in Xinbei for a nice lunch today in the Little Burma neighbourhood in Zhonghe. That is, one would think, one of the bluest districts you could find, given the history of settlement in the area with so many overseas Chinese with KMT ties.

Many shops in the neighbourhood, however, did not have KMT signs up for their preferred candidate. A surprising number signs (well, surprising for me) indicated support for a TPP candidate, dressed up in some kind of flight attendant uniform!

Is this a sign of things to come, in 2024 and beyond?

Guy

2 Likes

The latest from C Donovan Smith, as he surveys the terrain ahead of the upcoming municipal elections:

Guy

3 Likes

Hankering for a look at national-level polling right now? If so, Nathan Batto is here to help:

Guy

1 Like

We’re now around six weeks away from the municipal elections.

Taipei City’s race is surprisingly tight, with the three candidates all reportedly within the margin of error in recent polling, as explained in this helpful piece by C Donovan Smith:

How will this play out? My hunch is that the KMT candidate Chiang Wan-an looks too fluffy and won’t make it (as we saw most recently in Sean Lien’s failed campaign for mayor in 2014). Will that lead to a three way split so the DPP candidate Chen Shih-chung sneaks through, as Chen Shui-bian did in the 1990s? Or will it lead to Ko’s deputy and former New Party and People’s First Party councilor Huang Shan-shan grabbing the blue votes and taking charge?

Guy

1 Like

Clock Chen has a good shot at it. Even my Fiance’e’s family, traditionally very blue, will vote green this time. Wayne Chiang is just a good-looking guy, he hasn’t said anything of interest yet. The useless Ko’s acolyte is like Ko… Useless. But let’s see.

1 Like

Wow that is something. In the old days, such families would rather vote for a blue corpse than a green candidate!

Then again, if the blue candidate is bad enough, or weak enough, then even Taipei citizens will say “no,” as we saw with the case of Sean Lien.

Guy

That’s great. I hope he wins.

True. Wouldn’t kick him out of bed.

He’s worse than useless. He’s basically Elon Musk without the money.

2 Likes

Ko is not running again after finishing two terms.

What is your take @gain on Huang Shan-shan?

Guy

Ko lackey. What do you think? :rofl:

I’m waiting for @gain. :popcorn:

Guy

I actually haven’t been paying attention to her but anyone ko supports I hate so I guess I hate her by default

So: the friend of my enemy is also my enemy. :joy:

What I’ve noticed about Huang is her drifty affiliations following the deep blue parties, from her start as a member of the ultra Chinese nationalist (more nationalist than the KMT) New Party, followed by her affiliation with James Soong’s People First Party. When Soong became too old to be a political presence, Huang then drifted to Ko’s camp.

She is of course free to do whatever she wants. But this does look a bit much.

Btw, if I got any of those details wrong, corrections are welcome.

Guy

2 Likes

C Donovan Smith, in his latest column on the upcoming election, looks closely at Chen Shih-chung’s candidacy to ask: can he be Taipei City’s first DPP mayor since the 1990s?

Guy

1 Like

:face_vomiting:

Meanwhile in Chiayi City:

Guy

Hope it was natural causes… :open_mouth:

The cause of death for Huang, a 72-year-old bookkeeper and former temple chairman who had been campaigning for land justice, remains unclear.

He’s 72?

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Photoshop? Most of the photos for these elections look touched up

United Front Daily News had this picture of him. Still looks 55.

3 Likes