21 best menswear stores in the world

Have you guys ever been to any of these?

I’ve walked by Anderson & Sheppards before on Saville row. Would love to have a double breasted suit made by them one day, they start at £5000 up. Out of my budget today, but maybe not one day. They make suits for Tom Ford and royals like Prince Charles. The other Savile Row tailor I really want a suit made from is Henry Poole, the tailor of choice for Churchill and other notable leaders.

He must have started young.

The company started in the early 1800s. They have been the tailor for many royals in their history and invented the dinner jacket. It’s probably the most expensive tailor on Savile Row.

Kidding :laughing:
Shiadoa would have been main guy for this .

475 quid for a sleeping bag vest.

Not sure what your experience with Taiwan tailors is, but I recently got a three piece suit from Facha over by SYS Memorial Hall, behind the McDonald’s on Guang Fu and the service was pretty on point.

I do not have much experience with bespoked suits, as my previous suit was bought off the rack over 10 years ago at G2000. I figured, it still fits me, why buy another. However, the wife wasn’t going to let me wear an outdated suit for such an important occasion, so another one was made.

As someone who sells customized bikes for a living, I now understand how clueless some of my customers are when I going through the details, as that’s how I felt when choosing everything for the suit.

The three piece suit + shirt came out to something like 24,000NT. It included a tie or a (clip on) bow tie.

1 Like

After reading the article I realize even more how not fashionable I am. I head to Uniqlo and I’m in and out in 30 minutes or less.

1 Like

Occasion?

1 Like

I had a shirt made there. Wasn’t impressed with the quality. So never went back.

In some of the larger UNIQLOs—which no one will mistake for one of the “21 best menswear stores in the world”—you can spend some time just looking at the range of collaborations and experiments, say with fabric manufacturers in Japan such as Kaihara, or with the Finnish design company Marimekko, among others. The UNIQLO “U” line is designed by a team headed by the eminent French designer Christophe Lemaire.

Even in this one shop, there’s lots to see and lots to think about!

Guy

2 Likes

Kind of agree. My suit and vest were fine, but the lining of my shirt was kind of meh. It wasn’t super expensive, so I wasn’t too upset. You get what you pay for.

1 Like

For me best menswear is one that would keep me from sweating in the summer.

…what the heck is that?

1 Like

I can’t stand suits, and I’d venture to say most people wear them because they feel they have to not because they want to.

Menswear is in it’s final death throws. Even before the pandemic, people were doing whatever they could to just pair some sneakers with that uncomfortable three piece. Who actually enjoys wearing a suit?

And now with the pandemic, people choose more and more to just wear what makes them comfortable.

After years of business attire becoming increasingly casual, the sudden transition to working from home for millions of Americans has undermined retailers that sell dress clothes.

Men’s Wearhouse, Jos. A. Bank, Brooks Brothers, Lord & Taylor, Ann Taylor, Loft and Neiman Marcus are among the retailers whose parent companies have entered Chapter 11 bankruptcy in recent weeks, having experienced a sudden drop-off in sales due in part to what industry leaders are calling “casualization.”

I do. A well tailored suit is a wonderful thing to wear.

I would argue the stuffy suit is gone as clothing of workplace conformity. But it’s thriving as a creative expression and style as less people wear it. Thats why those places you mentioned are doing poorly, they sell boring suits off the rack no one wears anymore.

Made to measure suiting is thriving right now and killing off the rack places. Full bespoke tailores are also doing fine, but made to measure offers a much better product compared to off the rack at a price people can afford without going into 2-5k for full bespoke.

I actually think there’s a revival of classic menswear right now. Especially with younger people. It’s no longer a sign of comformity for work, it’s a style. I see a lot of interest in style forums and classic menswear style YouTubers come up.

1 Like

With all the bankruptcies mentioned above in this thread, it’s clear to me that “menswear” is bifurcating into:

1. High end luxury

2. Cheap fast fashion

The folks in the middle are getting wiped out.

Guy

Yeah, you’re pretty much right.

High end luxury is changing as well. For example, those retailors do sell high end suits and jackets, but they’re expensive. You can get an Armani suit for like 2k off the rack. Or you can go to suit supply and get good fabric for much less without the Armani name brand cost for the retailer to make money. Suit supply is thriving, so suiting and classic mensware is clearly not dead.

Or you can go get a made to measure suit, jackets, coats, pants, shirts that you can pick the type of fabric from lower end to the high quality fabrics you normally find on high end bespoke tailors. You can get those for 500-1000 depending on the fabric and it will fit you better than any high end off the rack will.

I keep reading this thread as “Men’s Best Swearwords.”

:smoker: